Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, so whats better than 1 review…….2 reviews……in tandem :) Read on to find out more.

All, thanks to Andy (@empiretecandy ) we have a new 2MP AI camera for testing. This camera has been provided by Andy in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is a new PTZ with 4.8mm to 120mm focal length 25x optical zoom. 2 new and exciting features of this cam are SMD+ (Smart Morion Detection) and Deep IVS along with Pro AI features. These and many other features I will be testing in this review. I also intend to do something new this time, simultaneous review of an AI NVR, 5216 as I also review the PTZ. As I cover one feature on the PTZ I will also review and discuss the corresponding setting, configuration and any other features related to the NVR along with AI setup and capture in both (web GUI for cam & Ai NVR GUI). Hope this simultaneous approach will help those looking to understand both the cams + NVRs and also importantly, AI config within both.

Full specs below and will be adding initial pics & vids in post 2, AI feature breakdown and testing in post 3, tips and tricks on how to make these features work and other settings / menu functions in post 4 and a summary of findings / recommendations in post 5.

As always, if anyone has any questions as I go just leave a comment.

Approximate price of this PTZ is between $360 direct and slightly higher for AliExpress & Amazon accordingly.

Full spec sheet attached to this post

Ok let’s go, first pics on a bench test setup as I ensure all features are working before installing. Super quick pics here, more to come as I disconnect the cam from the bench and move to install location.

Front On PTZ.jpg3:4 View PTZ.jpg

and……after hanging Christmas lights, I also mounted a PFA120 & PFB305 combo ready to install outside for testing within this review. Pictured here next to a 5241-Z12 for LPR

PF305 Mount.jpg

2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Network Camera

Camera Details

Image Sensor
- 1/2.8” STARVIS™ CMOS
Effective Pixels - 2MP
Max. Resolution - 1920 (H) × 1080 (V)
ROM - 4GB
RAM - 1GB
Electronic Shutter Speed - 1/1 s–1/30,000 s
Min. Illumination
Color: 0.005Lux@F1.6
B/W: 0.0005Lux@F1.6
0Lux@F1.6 (IR light on)
IR Distance - 100 m (328.08 ft)
IR On/Off Control - Zoom Prio/Manual/SmartIR
IR LEDs Number - 6

Lens Information

Focal Length
- 4.8 mm–120 mm
Max. Aperture - F1.6–F4.4

Field of View
H: 62.8°–2.6°
V: 33.2°–1.7°
D: 67.3°–3.9°

Optical Zoom - 25x
Close Focus Distance - 0.1 m–1.5 m (0.33 ft–4.92 ft)
DORI Distance
Detect
- 1613 m (5291.99 ft)
Observe - 646 m (2119.42 ft)
Recognize - 323 m (1059.71 ft)
Identify - 161 m (528.22 ft)

PTZ Information

Pan/Tilt Range
- Pan: 0°–360° (endless)
Tilt: -15°–90° (auto flip 180°)
Manual Control Speed
Pan: 0.1°–200°/s
Tilt: 0.1°–120°/s
Preset Speed
Pan: 240°/s
Tilt: 200°/s
Presets - 300
Tour - 8 (up to 32 presets per tour)
Pattern Number - 5
Scanning Number - 5

AI Features

Perimeter Protection
- Tripwire and intrusion. Support alarm triggering by target types (human and vehicle). Support filtering false alarms caused by animals, rustling leaves, bright lights, etc.
Auto Tracking - Supported
SMD Plus - Supported
Video Metadata - Support human, motor vehicle and non-motor vehicle image capture.

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Post #2 - Initial Pics & Videos

2.1 - Initial Video Of Auto Tracking
I wanted to get a post up of the auto tracking speed and performance of this camera as that is a) one of the most asked questions of me for this camera so far and b) lets be honest is something that is a phenomenal feature of PTZ’s………when it works.

So before I mount outside, I wanted to perform a lights on / lights off full IR test in a dark room to see how this new PTZ holds up. So this is a little test I like to called, Hide & Seek. Without spoiling the video, this camera is responsive. Even if it reverts to preset (loses a target briefly, tracking time expires, doesn’t match target criteria of what you defined like Human or Vehicle) it picks back up almost instantly and continues to track. Even if the AI blips for a second, Deep IVS kicks in and ensures tracking is fluent. I want to point out again, this test is not for image (more tweaks later for that) but for auto tracking only.

Exposure set to 1/250 (not really needed but was testing with vehicles earlier, will set to more applicable expo and dial in pic later), SmartIR = On, SMD = ON & Human/Vehicle, Smart Plan = Deep IVS (Human/Vehicle). All other settings were set to defaults for initial testing.
Testing was on a small make shift rig for this testing only, excuse the temporary cabling ;) Lastly, thought I saw a slight smudge, sure enough after capturing saw one on the lens, will clean for the next test.

Take a look (especially at 53s, 1:57 & 4:53, 5:55 where I try to hammer the tracking) and let me know with any questions. More to come.

2.2 - Night Video, Deep IVS Auto Tracking & Showing How To Use Spotter Cams For Triangulation

Ok all, as promised here are some first clips. I shot some night ones today and wanted to show how triangulated captures zones can work using spotter cams. I have a number of these setup across different cams and install location but in this case I literally put this together in under 10 minutes to show what can be possible albeit this is down and dirty version. Usually I make the triangulation zones crisper but wanted to get this out to show you the possibilities for those that haven’t used this before. This is also an opportunity for you to see what the night time (with a little dialing in, more to come) can look like and the auto tracking outside with real obstacles like trees etc. Let me know any comments or questions as I continue to test and review the unit.

The Xmas lights dropped down over the 2831 (another thing to fix) hence splash back but still worked for this demo :)
Also, added bonus, enjoy as the food delivery guy in the ford suv missed the house then came back :)

More to come

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Post # 6 - Menu Changes / Additions

Menu Options & Changes

All, as I just ran a new CAT6 for the PTZ test today, I wanted to at least get a couple of posts going until I move the cam to its outside mount.

Therefore in this post I wanted to touch on the hardware features and menu options in place for the SD49225 that are different from previous PTZ’s including my own SD6CE225U-HNI. So here we go.

First up, from the high level menu, no real change here as you can see in Pic 1. However things start to get a little interesting when we look at the PTZ menu (Pic 2) where you will notice (for those of us that have PTZ’s today) that the ‘Intelligence’ section where Auto Track is normally enabled is not present on the 49225. More on this in a minute. Pic 3 shows the SD6C PTZ menu for comparison

Pic 1 - Settings Menu SD49225
Pic 1 - SD49225 - Settings Camera Menu.jpg

Pic 2 - SD49225 PTZ Menu (left) & Pic 3 SD6C (right)

Pic 2 - SD49225 - PTZ Menu.jpgPic 3 - SD6C PTZ Menu Showing intelligence Section.jpg

Now when we move onto the Event Menu again we see changes, specifically that now in the case of the SD49225 that Smart Motion Detection & Deep IVS are present

Pic 4 SD49225 (left) Event Menu vs Pic 5 SD6CE225U-HNI (right)
Pic 4 - SD49225 - Event Menu.jpgPic 5 - SD6C Event Menu.jpg

There are also changes in the Smart Plan menu where now the 49225 supports one of my favorites (as listed in my 7442 review)……Video Structuralization, great to see this added and am sure will be useful as I move to testing the video later.

Pic 6 SD49225 Smart Plan Menu (left) vs Pic 7 SD6CE225U-HNI (right)
Pic 6 - SD49225 - Smart Plan Menu.jpgPic 7 - SD6C Smart Plan Menu.jpg

So lets now jump into Motion Detection settings available on the SD49225 (Pic 8). You’ll notice that you have an additional selection now of Human & Motor Vehicle for the AI to focus on when working in Motion Detection capture. This is great as it should rule out the mis-captures we’ve all seen due to leaves, rain, snow, rabbits, trash etc blowing bast. However, notice that with Smart Motion Detection this is an all or nothing approach. Specifically that you lose any control over individual parts of an image Motion Detection is applied to (turning on or off just specific areas such as bushes etc that you would do normally). You can still draw target area etc in the Deep IVS menu but nothing in Smart Motion Detection. This will be very interesting in my testing to see if this is as reliable as we all hope it is with regards to Perimeter Detection using AI and not missing anything important. Regular Motion Detection (Video Detection) is still available and does let you exclude individual pieces of the image.

Pic 8 - SD49225 - Smart Motion Detection Menu.jpg

Onto the next new addition, Deep IVS from the SD49225 in Pic 9 vs regular IVS from the SD6CE225U-HNI in Pic 10. You’ll notice that this is where Auto Tracking takes place on the SD49225. For those of us that never used Auto Track (from the Intelligence menu within PTZ settings) and instead always used IVS rules to initiate tracking, this is nothing different but on the 49225 this is the ONLY place to setup tracking is within IVS based rules. What is also an addition here is the Object Filters which allow Human, Motor Vehicle & Non-Motor Vehicle as Effective Targets. Finally there is another addition here Tracking Target Size Ratio. This last addition is seemingly to dial in the target the camera will focus for tracking a little more, will definitely be playing with this one.

Pic 9 - SD49225 - Deep IVS Menu.jpgPic 10 - SD6C IVS Settings.jpg

Now we move onto Video Structuralization in Pic 11 (left). This of course is new to the AI cams (as seen in my 7442 review) and therefore not present on the SD6CE225U-HNI. This is a great addition and I cannot sing the praises of Video Structuralization as a rule more. As mentioned in my 7442 review, I like not having to compromise on captures by being limited to 1 type of IVS rule or filter. What is very interesting here is that in Pic 12 (middle) where I select the Motor Vehicle rule you can see that it will capture similarly to the 7442 Ultra AI in that it records complete vehicle, optimize/trip-wire snaps etc. Its worth pointing out that this is where the similarities on this rule end, the SD49225 doesn’t capture OR allow the choice of attributes for vehicles nor does it capture ANPR. Pic 13 (right) here shows that thanks to AI & specifically Video Structuralization that we also now get a Video Structuralization Report menu (again similar to the 7442) for Motor Vehicle, Non-Motor Vehicle & People.

Pic 11 - SD49225 - Video Structuralization Menu.jpgPic 12 - SD49225 - Video Structuralization Menu - Vehicle Capture.jpgPic 13 - SD49225 - Video Structuralization Reporting.jpg

Lastly, let me end on 2 quick pics. Pic 14 (left) shows the IR menu where SmartIR is still being used on this cam, great ! Pic 15 (right) shows Profile Management where, just like the SD6CE225U-HNI there is NO Day/Night auto option.

Pic 14 - SD49225 - IR Light Menu.jpgPic 15 - SD49225 - Profile Mgmt Showing No Day Night Option.jpg

So as you can see, a camera with a lot of promise and AI features for its cost. Will be interesting to see how these work and how well they work (or don’t as the case may be) as I move into video testing.
MORE UPDATES TO COME INCLUDING THE DUAL POSTING TO THE MY 5216 NVR REVIEW.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @Wildcat_1 , on the MD/SMD
I think SMD simply enhances the areas you draw on the regular MD tab. I believe its a layer on top of regular MD. On my AI 4MP ptz thats how it worked anyway. SMD is dependent on plain MD

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@bigredfish that was my understanding as well, want to make sure in testing that it does just that :) Will also be interesting to see how thresholds and sensitivity that we all set for MD play into the AI for the Human / Vehicle detection as well. In theory the AI portion should work similarly to other AI cams I tested where if Human / Vehicles are detected then that overrides these settings to capture the Effective Targets regardless.

Hey @Wildcat_1 , on the MD/SMD
I think SMD simply enhances the areas you draw on the regular MD tab. I believe its a layer on top of regular MD. On my AI 4MP ptz thats how it worked anyway. SMD is dependent on plain MD

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all your detailed information!!

Looking forward to your thoughts on how intelligent it really is.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
How noisy is this when its panning and tilting as my older one use to be horrendously loud. I live with houses at each side of me so have to think about the neighbours .

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
My initial impressions are that this is much quieter than most PTZ's, my SD6C for example is louder than this. It does have a slight whine to it but thats it. Will post more once first video is up and will make sure to record off cam so you can hear noise too

How noisy is this when its panning and tilting as my older one use to be horrendously loud. I live with houses at each side of me so have to think about the neighbours .

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Would it be possible to make a recording of moving objects in colour mode at night please maybe someone walking past etc.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Absolutely, as always will be testing both IR and forced color with moving objects

Would it be possible to make a recording of moving objects in colour mode at night please maybe someone walking past etc.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
it can track targets triggered using Deep IVS rules and SMD in cam yes, just no specific / separate Auto Track (outside of those rules) as older PTZs (like my SD6C) has in its own Intelligence -> Auto Track camera GUI menu option.
That help @mech ?

I'm interested to hear whether it can auto-track on its own, since I would use Blue Iris rather than a Dahua NVR.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it can track targets triggered using Deep IVS rules and SMD in cam yes, just no specific / separate Auto Track (outside of those rules) as older PTZs (like my SD6C) has in its own Intelligence -> Auto Track camera GUI menu option.
That help @mech ?
Thanks! So if I understood correctly, I could mount it in the spot circled below and have the default view catch incoming prowlers approaching from the sidewalk area, and the camera would be able to autonomously track them in the lot and get me some decent detail? That would be an easily-justified ~$400 for me. The rear perimeter is fenced, so the prowlers approach from the street.

1574919685256.png

Attachments

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@mech, in a word yes, in practice a little more configuration, so here is that detail :)

1) Mount the camera where you have it circled
2) Create a Preset (lets call it Sidewalk Overwatch)
3) Create a Deep IVS rule for Sidewalk Overwatch with an Intrusion area set to your desired view, could also use tripwire if you wanted
5) Set object filtering to Human or Vehicle or both (depending on your needs)
6) Set Alarm Track time to 60 seconds etc for the rule when recording

Could rinse and repeat for other presets then create a tour for the PTZ to move to different presets through the day and a different preset(s) at night (for example start wider during the day, zoom to a tighter preset at night etc)

Hope that helps. Will be tackling Deep IVS based Auto Tracking as part of the review so you can see how it would work.

Thanks! So if I understood correctly, I could mount it in the spot circled below and have the default view catch incoming prowlers approaching from the sidewalk area, and the camera would be able to autonomously track them in the lot and get me some decent detail? That would be an easily-justified ~$400 for me. The rear perimeter is fenced, so the prowlers approach from the street.

View attachment 51365