Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure your POE is not plugged in at the switch end as you don't want the ptz ball moving when you plug it in the camera end.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, is the quick connector necessary?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "Quick Connector " if you mean the weather shield shroud for the RG45 I always do out of practice but the PFA120 box is weather proofed and sealed and a nice bit of engineering in its self..

Reaction score
My teenage nephew was asking for money, so he became my helper. Yes cheap labor, but i always welcome a second hand on projects. Especially when it's a teaching moment for the next generation. Oh yeah and he didn't touch his cell phone for over an hour as we hung this PTZ camera. In case you didn't know in this day and age an hour or more without a cell phone for a teenager as far as they are concerned, THE WORLD HAS JUST ENDED.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You mean with this mount adapter?

This makes it super easy. I’ve installed mine at the top of a ladder without assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You mean with this mount adapter?
Sorry I had the adapter numbers mixed up. I do have that adapter and will be picking up a mating flange for it at the hardware store (plumbing isle), and probably a length of pipe to drop the camera height a bit. I plan to bolt the flange up under my soffit (There are horizontal 2x4s every so often, I just need to find one), then screw in the adapter, and mount the camera last. I ordered the PFA111 from Newegg for $13 and it took a couple weeks from china. I plan to move the camera to this mount officially if Dahua can get the firmware bugs worked out.

The method, which I am currently using for ease of access is with the included arm and the PFA120 junction box. It's a Dahua box but Amcrest sells it on Amazon under the model AMCPFA120 for $29.99 (Amazon.com : Amcrest AMCPFA120 Water-Proof Junction Box, Compatible w/ IP2M-850EB, IP2M-853EW, IP2M-858W & IP4M-1053EW : Camera & Photo). I used toggle-bolts to mount the lightweight junction box to the wall then with one hand I was able to hold the camera by the arm and get the included bolts started with the other. I wasn't sure how to locate a stud through the siding and sheathing on the house so I went with toggle bolts. Also used a siding surface mounting block to level the camera I was lucky and our local store had a block in a close-enough color to our existing siding.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I sent some logs to Andy a while back and am hoping to teamview with @Wildcat_1 to further diagnose but I had a new issue crop up overnight related to pan orientation. I was up letting the dogs out and heard a noise outside so I started looking around at driveways to see where it came from (I try to keep an eye out for car prowlers). After making one sweep through the yards the camera started moving super slow but the on-screen coordinates reported it thought it was doing fast 360 spins. I tried to home it several times with no luck on resolving it, even tried a camera reboot. I let it sit until later and it was still experiencing the problem. I moved it back and forth over the home position several times before it finally realized tracking was off and corrected itself. Problem starts about the 3:00 mark in the video below. At 4:40 I do a camera reset and it's facing about 90 degrees off of home and the slow-pan problem still exists. All of the controlling in the video was done through the BI iOS app. I experienced the same issue through BI5 when I went to try to correct it later this morning around 0800.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still not able to appreciate how the mounting adapter helps with installing, is there a schematic I can look at? I feel like I can just do as you said (holding the camera already attached to the arm and putting in all the screws into the junction box) :confused: Do I use one weather gasket for the arm and another for the junction box or is it just one gasket in between the mating surface of the arm and junction box?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What's this gasket for?
The that gasket goes between the adapter and the wall you are mounting it to. I think we are misunderstanding that you already have a junction box you are mounting to. If that is the case the PFA120 may not be necessary. There is also the gasket that came with the camera arm that goes between the arm and the PFA120 or whatever you are mounting the arm to.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I just trialed with it and looks pretty snug and sealed to me, which is a good thing of course :D
I should be fine using lag bolts right?

The that gasket goes between the adapter and the wall you are mounting it to. I think we are misunderstanding that you already have a junction box you are mounting to. If that is the case the PFA120 may not be necessary. There is also the gasket that came with the camera arm that goes between the arm and the PFA120 or whatever you are mounting the arm to.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Does the mounting adapter giving a more secured fit or is it mainly for the DIY'er using extra length of conduit? I don't see where I can thread the PTZ into place; the three screws included look relatively sufficient. If there is a way to simply a one handed installation that would be great :)

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I sent some logs to Andy a while back and am hoping to teamview with @Wildcat_1 to further diagnose but I had a new issue crop up overnight related to pan orientation. I was up letting the dogs out and heard a noise outside so I started looking around at driveways to see where it came from (I try to keep an eye out for car prowlers). After making one sweep through the yards the camera started moving super slow but the on-screen coordinates reported it thought it was doing fast 360 spins. I tried to home it several times with no luck on resolving it, even tried a camera reboot. I let it sit until later and it was still experiencing the problem. I moved it back and forth over the home position several times before it finally realized tracking was off and corrected itself. Problem starts about the 3:00 mark in the video below. At 4:40 I do a camera reset and it's facing about 90 degrees off of home and the slow-pan problem still exists. All of the controlling in the video was done through the BI iOS app. I experienced the same issue through BI5 when I went to try to correct it later this morning around 0800.
Your video is set to "Private" and unable to view mate.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Does the mounting adapter giving a more secured fit or is it mainly for the DIY'er using extra length of conduit? I don't see where I can thread the PTZ into place; the three screws included look relatively sufficient. If there is a way to simply a one handed installation that would be great :)
If you are referring to the adapter with the threads on top I believe that is intended for people doing a ceiling mount where they have a length of threaded pipe coming down from the ceiling and then screw the adapter into it. Then use the three screws to secure the camera to the adapter.

Here are a couple photos of my installation using the PFA120 junction box. The only holes into the house are for the bolts holding the box to the wall. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the camera in this location or move it so I didn't bother running the wiring through yet. It just tucks under my garage door right now.
IMG_3089.JPGIMG_3090.JPG

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Awesome! I greatly appreciate it :D I plan to mount directly the PFA120 junction box and junction box mounted directly to siding and then caulk around it

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Awesome! I greatly appreciate it :D I plan to mount directly to siding and caulk around it
Its called a "Surface Mounting Block" and I got ours from Menards. Looks like Home Depot has them as well Ply Gem 6.625 in. x 6.625 in. White D4 and D5 Surface Mounting Block-BLK040H04H - The Home Depot. If you are still on the fence about the location of the camera they sell siding hooks you can use to hang without any holes to test locations - I used a couple toilet mounting bolts in the below photo. It allowed me to slide the camera side to side until I found a location where trees weren't blocking anything important I wanted to be able to see.
IMG_2822.JPG

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never assume, you can find out in the first post.
No, it does not come with a power supply, it is intended to be powered by POE+, which would come from your network switch. Google is your friend.
Completely my bad! I didn't realize my POE switch was NOT POE+. I gave the camera a great review on Amazon since, and it has been great.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How long are your bolts for the junction box?