Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just got this camera. Have auto tracking working. Is it correct that I should disable Motion Detection and Smart Motion Detection in the camera firmware to not have them interfere with auto tracking? I am running Blue Iris. Thanks.
They won't interfere with Auto Tracking BUT I always advocate for running IVS rules over Motion Detection unless absolutely necessary.

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been trying to dial in my 49225 that I received last week. Here is the rules view that I currently have after trying both intrusion and tripwire.

Most common scenario is someone like a delivery person walks up the driveway, passes being a tall tree, camera loses subjet and reset to preset 1, and sometimes picks up the object again, often doesn't. Also, the subject is usually far away, and then get closer and larger as the subject walks close to my front door and close the the camera. As the subject gets very close to the camera, the camera loses track of the subject as well and goes back to preset 1.

Below are screenshots of my current settings and a couple of videos of the cam losing tracking of the subject as the subject walks behind the tree, gets too close to the camera, and when the subject walks back down the driveway and behind the tree again. Only rule 1 tracks both human and motor vehicle. Rule 2 to 4 only tracks human. I am using IE11 to connect to the camera. Running BI V5.

Would very much appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.

1622484019704.png

1622484095834.png

View attachment Ptzdstest.20210531 090137 4-1.mp4

View attachment Ptzdstest.20210531 090137 1-1.mp4

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try 1 Preset with 1intrusion box like below and set your Tracking size to 20. A little WDR or HLC might also help.
You will loose tracking when the person disappears being the tree unless you trim in down to a few feet.
I would not reply on your PTZ beyond your gate but If it was mine I would install a static fixed lens to get a good face detection.

2021-05-31 19_58_37-Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Dee...jpg

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm looking at the above picture, and I have a question about the blue line. It is a good idea to place it at the margin of the image, or should be left some space between the image edge and blue line?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
It was a quick edit and I would make the blue line as close to the edge as possible. I think it is loosing tracking because of the light conditions but more important the tracking size of 45 for that distance is set to high and would keep tracking longer set smaller to around 20.

When the person comes up the steps this is when the camera will also struggle to keep track as it is going out the camera's range.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Leave some space, it takes IVS a moment to identify if something is crossing the line.
BUT like everything else, each camera location is different, and takes testing to see what works best in your situation.
As above I would say close to the edge as possible as it gives you a larger intrusion zone so will track quicker leave a gap that can equate to a couple of feet in the camera's FOV so will take it longer to get a lock on the object.
It is trial and error and fine tuning is the key.

Here is a typical daytime track on my 49225xa

View attachment PTZ.20210531_120000_1.mp4

Last edited:

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions.

I had a single intrusion box before and it didn't work well. I tried it again and now I know why it didn't work. Once it lose track of a subject in a large box, it stops to look for any subject again even though the subject reappears in its FOV. With multiple rules and boxes, at least the cam has another chance to get triggered when the subject enters anther intrusion box. At least that is what I am guessing.

Lowering Tracking Target Size improves tracking a bit, especially when the subject is close to the camera and the camera can't zoom out any more. A wider lens could work better here, but would lose the zoom distance.

As for picture quality, We don't get too many sunny days here in the Pacific Northwest. The picture quality is actually pretty good on cloudy/rainy days :). I did lower the exposure just now to minimize blown out areas caused by the dark shadow.

The latest setting I have is Target Size at 25, max size 8191x8191, min size 0x0, 3 intrusion rules and a tripwire rule, and moved preset 1 up to include more space so more of the subject can enter the cam's FOV to get recognized before it trips the wire. Will test it out.

1622491859512.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Less is more with IVS....once it starts tracking the other IVS are not used until it goes back to that preset.

It is a matter of finding the right tracking size so that it doesn't lose tracking

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a matter of getting the brightness/contrast and target ratio settings correct.

Looking at your image above, there is a lot of gray so it all blends in the eyes of the PTZ. Not much you can do about the actual colors, but adjusting the parameters can help give it a little bit of contrast so that it has an easier time tracking.

Many of us have been able to get tracking to work around a tree or bush or car, it is just lots of dialing it in.

The other issue is to try to minimize too much pan left or right or up and down before the tracking starts. In your video above with the car, notice how far left the camera goes to try to start the track of the vehicle? And then by the time it moves back to the right, it locks in on the tree. The camera needs time to actually start tracking the object so that it can keep tracking an object past the tree.

T3CH hungry

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have this camera but I can't get any audio. I have it enabled in the camera settings and in Blue Iris but I get no audio when trying to view from my computer through BI or the BI app on my phone. Any suggestions?

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera doesn't have a mic. It only has audio input. If you didn't add a mic, you don't get any audio.