Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Apologies, I thought that's what you might be looking for but because it shows in the live view but not the recording. I found the button in playback and it shows during playback but when I download the video it doesn't include the IVS rules in the download. Am I missing a step or something else?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might need to do a video screen capture? Or when you watch it back, can you tell is it drawing a rectangle around one of those items and the snowflake passing in front of it is what makes it think it is a person?

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Managed to do a screen capture but it is giving me a message that it's not a video as expected when I upload it. Will try and figure something out. Thanks for your patience and all your help.

message.JPG

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Tried a few different formats and it doesn't seem to want to let me upload my screen capture. The first try was an .mp4 which is the same as the others I uploaded so far, tried mpeg2 and avi but now I'm getting this message. Will have to try something different tomorrow. Is there a way to get the IVS rules to record? and the next time it snows I can record them and post a new video instead of a screen capture.

upload.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upload to Youtube and then post the link.

OR screenshot the moment the rectangle appears and start to try to track. We just need to see was it some random snowflake, but I think it is one of those two items we see and a snowflake with that behind it gives the impression of a person.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't have a Youtube account but here is a couple screenshots of the moment. Hope it is helpful enough. As I mentioned it there a way to record the IVS rules?

I also noticed it switching to DAY from NIGHT settings last night when it was snowing, maybe because of the brightness of the snow? could that have anything to do with it?

moment2.JPG

trigger.JPG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW that is totally not where I thought it would trigger.

I would bring that IVS rule in some from the edges

The camera needs time to see the object, determine if it meets the algorithm signature for the item, and then decide to trigger or not.

Since yours is the whole frame, it has to trigger without the benefit of being able to identify the object outside of that box.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just looking at the photos on here after I posted them and see it's the intrusion that is triggering. Would it maybe be and idea to change the size of the intrusion zone?

Haha, you posted as I was typing. I will modify the size of the zone and update next time it snows. It is supposed to snow in the next day or two. Thank you again for you amazing insights and help.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in updates but have been busy and haven't had any snow. Had brought the intrusion zone edges in after suggested by wittaj and had a tiny bit of snow that evening and it still triggered. Changed from one single zone to three zones total and brought the edges in a little more. But as mentioned haven't had any more snow even though it was in the forecast for this past week. It tried to snow a little one evening but not even a skiff. There is some in the forecast for Sunday so if it snows will update with results.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did get a bit of snow on Saturday night and was still getting triggers, even after moving the edges in quite a bit and breaking the single zone into three separate zones. Going to try disabling the intrusion areas and only leave the tripwire triggers and see if that helps. No snow forecast until the end of the week though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did get a bit of snow on Saturday night and was still getting triggers, even after moving the edges in quite a bit and breaking the single zone into three separate zones. Going to try disabling the intrusion areas and only leave the tripwire triggers and see if that helps. No snow forecast until the end of the week though.
That is crazy. Were they triggering in the same areas? We have had snow here this week and none of my PTZs triggered thinking it was human.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Somewhat but not exactly. It was more difficult to tell. I wanted to get a screen shot but when I viewed in the playback the IVS rules would disappear before the red square would appear so it was difficult to tell which area was triggering. It did stay on one and was the middle intrusion area. Was hoping to maybe narrow some of the variables down which is why I was thinking towards disabling the intrusion areas and leaving the tripwires. I'm wondering if the ir has is contributing at all as it only does it at night and never has during the day when it snows.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is crazy. Were they triggering in the same areas? We have had snow here this week and none of my PTZs triggered thinking it was human.
Mine doesn't trigger on rain (we don't get snow here), but it does trigger on insects flying by when they cross a tripwire or intrusion zone. Only at night of course. The insects can be a fair number of pixels in size if they fly near the camera. I think it's also related to the shutter time being 0-50 ms, so the insects flight path is seen, not just the insect. Should I be turning shutter rate down to avoid this? Any thing else I should do to avoid the triggers?

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Mine doesn't trigger from the rain either seems to be only from snow. Haven't noticed insects much as the camera was installed later in the year so with the cooling weather not as many insects, I guess I will see in the spring. Not really to worried about insect though, more concerned with the movement limit and when it snows it will go a lot so just trying to limit or lower the movement to actually tracking important things.

cams2007

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did get a ton of snow over the weekend, would have updated sooner but was busy and tired from shoveling. Like mentioned broke the intrusion zone into three sections horizontally and was still getting triggers. First tried disabling the top zone but was still getting triggers then tried disabling all intrusion zones and leaving the tripwires enabled but still got triggers. Can't remember if I mentioned that it wasn't triggering during the day from snow but was incorrect and do get triggers during the day just not as much as night. I'm thinking the easiest thing may be to create another preset that doesn't have triggers and set it to that preset when it begins to snow. Unless there is a way to lower the sensitivity of the intrusion zones.

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A little gripe.
Why do Dahua not have changelog details for new firmwares on the official pages.
We have 3 of the S2 variant of the SD49225XA-HNR and having just updated the firmware I now see that that the mozaic masking has been removed and the solid masking no longer allows polygons. this actually causes some issues for us and deployment. Had there been a changelog and this removal of features been documented then we would have remained on the original firmware.
With over 150 dahua cameras in service and more Hikvison cameras due to be replaced with Dahua this year its is important we know what to expect

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find that most manufactures do not provide detailed change logs. And even if they do, inevitably something gets messed up that you had working that wasn't covered in the change log.

Best practice is if the camera is working and meets your needs, don't risk it with an update. Only update if you know for sure it is being pushed out to fix a known problem you have.

Even more so if you have the older version of this particular camera that had autotracking - if you update it, they purposely removed autotracking from the newest firmwares.

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will find that most manufactures do not provide detailed change logs. And even if they do, inevitably something gets messed up that you had working that wasn't covered in the change log.

Best practice is if the camera is working and meets your needs, don't risk it with an update. Only update if you know for sure it is being pushed out to fix a known problem you have.

Even more so if you have the older version of this particular camera that had autotracking - if you update it, they purposely removed autotracking from the newest firmwares.
Yes we have a number of the first release of this cam but they have never had autotracking on them luckly thats not a feature we use anyway in our use of them.
Do you have a recomendation for an alternative model that has reasonably good vision at night without using B&W and infared? There is loads of ambient light and auxillary lighting on site

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

railcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats a lovely looking model. Unfortunatley its unavailable and also overkill for us as we do not have the bandwidth to run it to its potential. Maybe I should have stated that we can not push out much more than 1080p.
Company policy say it has to be purchased from one of our nominated UK based distributors so has to be Dahua branded ( we have nothing against Empiretech).
I could go to the distributor for a recommendation but feel they will just recomend a model they want to get rid of and not what is best for us.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.