Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. This vari-focal camera goes 2.7mm ~13.5mm.
Now I want to buy some IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE for a family member.

I want to use my camera to determine what lens that 4231 camera needs in our situation (2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm). This method has been talked about a lot on this forum.
But how can you tell at what focal length you are when zooming with the 5231?

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good question... I'm not 100% sure what the answer is, but I will take a stab.

The Dahua api takes a range of 0.0-1.0, with 1 being max zoom, and we will assume the software and hardware are linear.

Let Fmin and Fmax be the max and min focal lengths, F be the actual focal length of the lens, and f be the API input zoom value. We can form the working equation:

f(F) = (F - Fmin) / (Fmax - Fmin)

Now we can easily solve for the API zoom values that give a 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm equivalent focal lengths on a 2.7-13.5mm zoom camera:

f(2.8mm) = 0.009259
f(3.6mm) = 0.08333
f(6mm) = 0.3056

Again, this is just an educated guess that assumes some things, but it might be right.

Kevin

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

The Dahua api takes a range of 0.0-1.0, with 1 being max zoom, and we will assume the software and hardware are linear.

Let Fmin and Fmax be the max and min focal lengths, F be the actual focal length of the lens, and f be the API input zoom value. We can form the working equation:

Now we can easily solve for the API zoom values that give a 2.8, 3.6, and 6mm equivalent focal lengths on a 2.7-13.5mm zoom camera:

f(2.8mm) = 0.009259
f(3.6mm) = 0.08333
f(6mm) = 0.3056

Again, this is just an educated guess that assumes some things, but it might be right.

Kevin
Thanks for this Kevin. Can anyone confirm this is accurate? Would definitely be beneficial. I have wondered about this in the past but wasn't sure if this is possible.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
any guys has a good guide for setting the idmss a remote watching? Meet some problem for the settings, can watch locally, but remote visiting failed? thanks guys.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for this Kevin. Can anyone confirm this is accurate? Would definitely be beneficial. I have wondered about this in the past but wasn't sure if this is possible.
It could be tested by sending those input values then measuring the resulting viewing angles. Even better if it can be compared to actual viewing angles of a fixed lens camera. I have a 2.8 fixed and a variofolcal, but given my install it would take me some time to move them around for comparison. I may have free time Sunday to verify this, if nobody else gets around to it first.

any guys has a good guide for setting the idmss a remote watching? Meet some problem for the settings, can watch locally, but remote visiting failed? thanks guys.
I assume you mean idmss through a basic ap/router topology, which unfortunately I have no experience with. Regardless, nayr's vpn primer for noobs thread is a good place to start for any remote viewing. Setup a vpn and remote works the same as local.

Kev

Last edited:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

f(2.8mm) = 0.009259
f(3.6mm) = 0.08333
f(6mm) = 0.3056

Kevin
api range?

In the webinterface the zoomslider goes from 0 - 2390.
But I could convert your numbers to something I can use with my range numbers.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hmm, the webui slider implementation may be using 2560, but the Dahua API takes a float in the range 0.0-1.0. You can interpolate the 0-2560 range to 0-1 and use the camera's web interface (I like this math approach, hehe... please share the working equation if you do that), or you can use the api by entering something like this in your browser (no plugins needed so chrome will work):

Code:
http://user:password@ipaddress/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=adjustFocus&focus=0.071429&zoom=0.0833
Of course, replace the user, password, ipaddress, and zoom & focus values to match your setup. The API method is faster/simpler for me, but either way would work. It is a tad annoying the API doesn't have zoom broken out without having to set focus at the same time. If you need to get the current focus value from your camera, use this:

Code:
http://user:password@ipaddress/cgi-bin/devVideoInput.cgi?action=getFocusStatus
I'll also note that these web API commands can be used alone, or while you're viewing video with the cam webui or VMS (stream).

Last edited:

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@truglo That's really cool feature. Didn't know about that and is indeed much more usefull. :)
This particular thread is not that active so I may start a new thread about using a vari-focal camera to determine the focal length for a non-varifocal camera.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good idea... it would be convenient for users to have a short list of api commands with equivalent values for the popular fixed lenses they can refer to in a first post. Seems worthy of beimg a sticky thread.

WA3PNT

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am attempting to order the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy, and see that the only option is PAL (no NTSC option).
I've asked him if the format can be changed in the camera setup, and awaiting his reply and PP Invoice.

RodeoGeorge

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I am attempting to order the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy, and see that the only option is PAL (no NTSC option).
I've asked him if the format can be changed in the camera setup, and awaiting his reply and PP Invoice.

RodeoGeorge
PAL / NTSC does not matter when it comes to digital IP cameras. If this was a analog old school camera, it would matter.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
These days some guys asked for far distance poe switch, can meet 500meters, this is good for longer distance power. This model is a nice one. It also has a Hi-PoE standard port, so can support Laser Super PTZ well, no need to buy extra Hi-poe power adapter.

PFL2106-4ET-96
4-Port ePoE Switch

> Supports long distance PoE transmission up to 800m with ePoE technology of Dahua
> Two-layer industrial PoE switch
> MAC auto study and aging, MAC address list capacity is 8K
> Conform IEEE802.3, IEEE802.3u, IEEE802.3ab/z and IEEE802.3X standards
> Supports IEEE802.3af, IEEE802.3at, Hi-PoE standard
> Industrial wide temperature design

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/Products/ProductDetail/15541

Reaction score
Which firmware is the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE currently shipping with, the .16 or .14 version?

I'm trying to decide between the Z and ZE models, and I was leaning towards the ZE because of its greater focal range and more importantly slightly better lowlight performance (thank you for the comparisons looney2ns), but is it fair to say that the Z is more stable at this point in its lifecycle? I was wondering if other people think the ZE might be a little less stable right now, or if perhaps that's a bias I've developed from reading posts which are more likely to regard issues with the ZE rather than not?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the shipping firmware is an issue, you can upgrade or downgrade versions.

I think the cameras are the same, but I only have the “Z” version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk