Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you haven't already, check EmpireTec Andy's sub-forum on the site here, he shares the latest firmware versions there.

Schnoidz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also noticed with the ZE cameras i cannot set the FPS above 25 even though the specs say it should support 50/60 depending on PAL/NTSC however I didn't see a need for more than 25 so i never bothered to try to find out way but now that you brought it up I'd be curious to know if a solution is found. Thanks.
I read this whole thread today hoping to find a way to set 60 FPS. I'd like to use this high frame rate at times to record action. All my other cameras are set to 15 FPS. Is 60 FPS possible yet?2020-03-21 13 10 51.png2020-03-21-13-12-13.jpg

Last edited:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I read this whole thread today hoping to find a way to set 60 FPS. I'd like to use this high frame rate at times to record action. All my other cameras are set to 15 FPS. Is 60 FPS possible yet?View attachment 57777View attachment 57779

Mine is not the "ZE" model but a "Z" on. I set mine at 15 fps but when I went to look, it does goes up to 60 fps in the dropdown menu. I can't remember how I got it to go that high however I noticed that my firmware is newer than you. You may want to check to see if it goes higher if you select 265 on encode mode.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.53.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 10.56.30 PM.png

Schnoidz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. It looks like this firmware. I'll update now.

justin_144

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received this camera. I noticed that the black faceplate on the camera is optional. What is the difference of leaving it on, vs taking it off?

botics

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Any new firmware for this camera after V2.800.0000015.0.R, Build Date: 2020-04-30 ? I cannot find it if it exists thanks.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently noticed that my 5231-ZE cam was loosing connection to BI intermittently, so I looked into the logs from the camera (attached). Currently running V2.800.0000016.0.R, Build Date: 2020-06-05

Is this pointing towards a faulty SD card or buggy firmware?

Thanks!

Attachments

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks like a failing SD card to me.
Tried formatting via the GUI and it's not accomplishing the task successfully. Looks like I will have to pull the camera down and manually format this on my PC.

Reaction score
I have one of these as well as a bunch of the earlier versions of same, almost all turrets.

So crime is going up in the old hood and I'd like to add/upgrade cameras. What are some good successors to these cameras that are "better" without costs getting totally out of control?

Ideally Id like something I can zoom way in on for one application because I want to just watch the street from my house and I'd also like a camera that can stay in color mode in low light. I think the ability to say, "There are three guys on bikes and one has a red jacket and one has a blue jacket" might be more valuable than trying to attempt facial ID in super low light when people are moving fast anyway.

Thanks for any leads. It looks like Andy has an Amazon store now? Is that the preferred way to order over AliExpress these days?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have one of these as well as a bunch of the earlier versions of same, almost all turrets.

So crime is going up in the old hood and I'd like to add/upgrade cameras. What are some good successors to these cameras that are "better" without costs getting totally out of control?

Ideally Id like something I can zoom way in on for one application because I want to just watch the street from my house and I'd also like a camera that can stay in color mode in low light. I think the ability to say, "There are three guys on bikes and one has a red jacket and one has a blue jacket" might be more valuable than trying to attempt facial ID in super low light when people are moving fast anyway.

Thanks for any leads. It looks like Andy has an Amazon store now? Is that the preferred way to order over AliExpress these days?
Look at the reviews here of the 5442 series of cameras.
Along with the review for the Review-Dahua IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E AI Varifocal Bullet | IP Cam Talk

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your in the US yes, He some products on Amazon. but if you have specific questions in mind you can DM him and ask for a recommendation,,,,,for something in a newer generation thats similar.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, bro, aha, we can do any way that you prefer. ;)