Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the Browser it's under "Camera -> Conditions", it's where you set WB, Exposure, Backlight, etc. I've only been able to get the plugins to work under Firefox and even then the plugin crashes. The only SmartPSS that I have gotten to work with my SD59225 is 1.14.
Sorry, that's the same set of adjustments I was referring to in SmartPss, that fails in SmartPSS for me. Selections remain greyed out.
But this same section works ok for me in IE, and Chrome with IE tab.

Untitled.png

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know the measurements but could you do a pic standing nexr to it or with your hand on the bottom of it to get a feel of the size next to a human?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, those are home movies that were recorded on a monster VHS camcorder, queued up to be converted to digital.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best way to power a microphone at the camera location. I was hoping to use POE+ and a splitter, but apparently that method won't provide power to the camera too.

Do I need to run separate 12vdc power to the mic?

What am I missing?
Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
either use an unpowered microphone, or power it with 24vac and break out normal PoE off the line and split it out to 12v.. this delima is why my black face ptz dont have a microphone wired up.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What would you suggest for a Unpowered microphone ?

I have yet to decide how to record audio, I have two of the SD59230U-HNI and two of the IPC-HFW5220E-Z. Just not sure the best way to hook up for audio and just now getting around to thinking about it. As in the next couple weeks plan to start my install as I have everything together now just need to find time to hook it all up..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
most of the powered mics do work unpowered; just not as nearly as sensitive.. in audio config do you have a choice between line-in (pre-amp in mic) or mic (pre-amp in cam)? If so then it'll take either powered or unpowered mics.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd think it would need to be one of those spy mics with a dish lol or mount remote mics closer to the source of the sounds.

Last edited:

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how are the IRs at night? they state up to 100 meters.. Really?
Still no success with ONVIF? This must be tested and working.
I have Hikvision NVR and even the crappy foscam PTZ works great with it using ONVIF.
Also if you are a little into Linux OS, I would recommend setup Zoneminder and try to connect your new PTZ via ONVIF.
Would be great to have a youtube testvideo as if all the specs are correct this could be a great PTZ.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully Mrs. Looney likes the camera more after it's installed :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully Mrs. Looney likes the camera more after it's installed :)
My wife already loves it, she knows she will be the main one using it as a critter cam.

I'll get outside testing with video as soon as:
1. Life stops getting in the way.
2. Family illnesses subside.
3. Weather cooperates on a day that life or illness isn't getting in the way.
4. Holidays are behind us.

Sorry I'm not living up to @nayrs standards. :)

Trust me, I'm itching like crazy to get it installed and put into operation!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take your time, do it right, and be safe. Happy new year.
If you have any questions more about things related to the install or running the cable don't hesitate to ask.

Now for a question from me... Do you guys use teflon tape or pipe dope on the threaded fittings for a camera like this?