Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
The temp sensor is on the main board, that is not the outdoor temp. And yes they run warm, especially when the IR is on.

I don't have the issue's of the blip on event.

Typically, more fixed cams are always better than a PTZ unless you are manning it all the time. It has a high chance of looking the wrong way at the wrong time.

Good luck with the auto tracking, I've never been able to get mine close to reliable.
Sound got out of sync converting clip but you get the point

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here are a few clips from mine so far:

Auto tracking works pretty good in the first and second clips, but in the third the two guys seemed to be just on the outskirts of the tripwires so they didn't trigger until they left.

I was seeing frame dropping as I am recording everything to microSD and it seemed when it switched from General to Event a couple of frames got dropped in the process. I've now unticked recording events and although the camera still records everything as general I don't seem to be seeing the frame drops. Maybe it's a microSD thing - when I get my arse in gear and set up my new NAS I'll have to see how things go via NFS as well here for me.

Video 1 was just using a more simple intrusion zone and I have a high tracking time.
upload_2018-3-27_20-0-5.png

Originally I'd gone OTT with the tripwires:

I'm hoping a combination of the PTZ with a static camera should hopefully work well for me at the front at the front but worst case I'll add another.

I've just ordered another 5231 to come with the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N which will be going up along with the 3MP Hikvision Darkfighter I just replaced with the PTZ. I'm definitely missing the nice wide angle I got from the Hikvision and just looking for a smaller mount for that (I was using the big one before like the PFB303W) and when I find something I'll get it back on the front of the house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a few clips from mine so far:

Auto tracking works pretty good in the first and second clips, but in the third the two guys seemed to be just on the outskirts of the tripwires so they didn't trigger until they left.

I was seeing frame dropping as I am recording everything to microSD and it seemed when it switched from General to Event a couple of frames got dropped in the process. I've now unticked recording events and although the camera still records everything as general I don't seem to be seeing the frame drops. Maybe it's a microSD thing - when I get my arse in gear and set up my new NAS I'll have to see how things go via NFS as well here for me.

Video 1 was just using a more simple intrusion zone and I have a high tracking time.
View attachment 28000

Originally I'd gone OTT with the tripwires:

I'm hoping a combination of the PTZ with a static camera should hopefully work well for me at the front at the front but worst case I'll add another.

I've just ordered another 5231 to come with the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N which will be going up along with the 3MP Hikvision Darkfighter I just replaced with the PTZ. I'm definitely missing the nice wide angle I got from the Hikvision and just looking for a smaller mount for that (I was using the big one before like the PFB303W) and when I find something I'll get it back on the front of the house.
How are you setting the target sizes?

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How are you setting the target sizes?
I've got to admit I'm still trying to work that bit out - currently I've got the minimum target size like this:
upload_2018-3-27_20-19-23.png
I've been away from home since Sunday so looking forwards to having a good play over the next few days. I'd swear it still triggers from things smaller than the minimum target but it's early days for me yet.

The size is strange though as it's not pixels like I expected it to be.

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cameraguy, I've actually kind of got the auto-tracking working. It's interesting because all I did was wipe the settings and try again.

Here are my settings just in case something pops out that I might be doing wrong still. Anything not show should be pretty much default.

Also, here is a video example of what happens for every recorded event. Notice the van disappears for a quick blip. This is a major annoyance to say the least. Looking at it through Blue Iris or Live View on Internet Explorer, the screen flashes black.

Attachments

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Cameraguy, I've actually kind of got the auto-tracking working. It's interesting because all I did was wipe the settings and try again.

Here are my settings just in case something pops out that I might be doing wrong still. Anything not show should be pretty much default.

Also, here is a video example of what happens for every recorded event. Notice the van disappears for a quick blip. This is a major annoyance to say the least. Looking at it through Blue Iris or Live View on Internet Explorer, the screen flashes black.
First thing i see different than mine is that under ptz - function - intelligence.. i DONT have auto track checked..

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

Here is my ivs setup. Im looking to catch any person, animal or vehicle that comes into my bigger intrusion box.. i made the smaller one because it seems to set the camera in tracking motion..

Attachments

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is my ivs setup. Im looking to catch any person, animal or vehicle that comes into my bigger intrusion box.. i made the smaller one because it seems to set the camera in tracking motion..
OK thanks for the info, really appreciate it. It's dark and snowing here now, so I'll wait for more for favorable weather to do further testing.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

Couple more things i noticed we differ on is: Event - Video detection - Motion detection.. i dont have enable manual control trigger checked..

I found this helpful to increase tracking stability..
CAMERA - CONDITIONS - FOCUS AND ZOOM.. set my zoom speed to 30.. seems to allow time to lock on object.. no clue if any of this advice is good or will help , just what i have and im pretty happy with my results

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
OK thanks for the info, really appreciate it. It's dark and snowing here now, so I'll wait for more for favorable weather to do further testing.
Welcome.. the blip has me stumped

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple more things i noticed we differ on is: Event - Video detection - Motion detection.. i dont have enable manual control trigger checked..

I found this helpful to increase tracking stability..
CAMERA - CONDITIONS - FOCUS AND ZOOM.. set my zoom speed to 30.. seems to allow time to lock on object.. no clue if any of this advice is good or will help , just what i have and im pretty happy with my results
These differences are great! I will most definitely play with all of them. I'll give an update when I get a chance to actually try them out.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For the blip - are you recording locally to a microSD card or is that all off host via NFS or just direct into Blue Iris?

Ideally you could do with a fast enough card in the camera for recording to see if that shows the same, and if not you know it's potentially something at the network level.

How long is the cable and what sort of switch is it plugged into? Is it premade or did you crimp it yourself?

Can you see any port stats for the port the camera is plugged into - this may show connection errors / speed & duplex mismatches etc. That's one area where managed switches have a big advantage for me.

Also how is it being powered? The inbox adaptor or a hiPOE injector / switch?

Maybe try recording constantly to an NFS share or FTP and then see if those recordings show the blips too.

Last edited:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got a silly question for the guys who have been running this camera for a while now - have any of you reduced the noise transmitted into the house by any other means than slowing the camera down please?

I'm finding the noise in our brick built house in the UK transfers quite easily through the brick - I have some noise reducing foam which is designed for washing machines and I'm thinking of maybe stuffing some in behind the mount along with some other foam to keep critters out and then silicone it along the top to keep water at bay.

It could be something with the way our house was put together as we can also hear all the noise from the neighbours garage door when that opens and closes (we're in a semi detached house which is popular in the UK - ie two together).

Thanks in advance :)

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I record locally on the PTZ to a Samsung 64GB PRO+ microSDHC. I also have Blue Iris set to continuous recording as well, but no triggers or alerts.

The blip shows on both the local playback as well as Blue Iris.

I crimped the CAT5e cable myself (~75' long), which terminates on a managed D-Link DSG-1100-08P POE+ switch. However the camera is powered with the supply that came with it. The switch shows no port count errors, and the camera draws no power from the switch. This switch has a cable diag and nothing jumps out as wrong with the cable.

When I get time, I'll disable local SD recording and define an alert on Blue Iris to further isolate the problem.

WRT my auto-tracking, I made the provisioning changes suggested by Cameraguy. Still need more time to test these changes now.

As far as noise goes, this sucker really is noisy. Even when just sitting still it's humming. (Not a shock given the internal temp shows 20C when the ambient temp outside is -6C. What generates all that heat? I fear what it hits in summer in direct sunlight). Thankfully, we can't hear it in the house. In your case, the noise seems to resonate through your house. Your idea of dampening that with layer of foam, or maybe some rubber might be your only bet.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a silly question for the guys who have been running this camera for a while now - have any of you reduced the noise transmitted into the house by any other means than slowing the camera down please?

I'm finding the noise in our brick built house in the UK transfers quite easily through the brick - I have some noise reducing foam which is designed for washing machines and I'm thinking of maybe stuffing some in behind the mount along with some other foam to keep critters out and then silicone it along the top to keep water at bay.

It could be something with the way our house was put together as we can also hear all the noise from the neighbours garage door when that opens and closes (we're in a semi detached house which is popular in the UK - ie two together).

Thanks in advance :)
Poor insulation in the walls could be part of the issue. Otherwise, you will have to isolate the mount from where its attached to the brick to do much to stop the noise.

My cam is completely silent when its sitting still.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Poor insulation in the walls could be part of the issue. Otherwise, you will have to isolate the mount from where its attached to the brick to do much to stop the noise.

Yea i cant say i hear much noise from mine

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As far as noise goes, this sucker really is noisy. Even when just sitting still it's humming. (Not a shock given the internal temp shows 20C when the ambient temp outside is -6C. What generates all that heat? I fear what it hits in summer in direct sunlight). Thankfully, we can't hear it in the house. In your case, the noise seems to resonate through your house. Your idea of dampening that with layer of foam, or maybe some rubber might be your only bet.
I have disabled the temperature sensor OSD for each of my Dahua cameras because they all show much warmer temps than ambient, the sensor must not have air ventilation around it probably because all of my cameras are ip67 rated.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns can you play with your zoom speed, maybe set it at 30 and see if it helps your tracking.. im trying to figure out if that is a main contributer to effective ivs tracking.. thanks man

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns can you play with your zoom speed, maybe set it at 30 and see if it helps your tracking.. im trying to figure out if that is a main contributer to effective ivs tracking.. thanks man
I've set it up like yours, we'll see. My biggest issue has always been is it seeing and tracking things that's not there.
I will try it with motion detect enabled and disabled.
Stay tuned. ;)

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Ah sorry yes it's silent when still (just the fan running which you can't hear when it's outside), just when moving it's quite loud and that's the noise which transfers into the house :)

Basically in the UK it's a layer of exterior decorative stone then a layer of polystyrene beads in the cavity gap then thermalite breeze blocks.

I attached the mount via M8 Rawlbolts which only sit in the outer layer.

I've got a feeling there has to be something solid bridging the gap and which is causing the noise - likewise we can hear anywhere in the house when the neighbours open their sliding garage door which again is bolted into the interior breeze blocks.

It's a public holiday coming up so I'll see what happens with the noise reducing stuff :)