Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You dont suppose its picking up the shimmer on the water as motion do you?
Very possible. I've tried every combo I could think of with the tripwires etc over the past year. I never set any past the far side of the driveway, let alone include the water. I can get it to track fairly well, someone walking in the back yard or large critters. But then I get so many phantom trackings on top of that, it's pointless. Glad that cams purpose is just watching critters. ;)

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Very possible. I've tried every combo I could think of with the tripwires etc over the past year. I never set any past the far side of the driveway, let alone include the water. I can get it to track fairly well, someone walking in the back yard or large critters. But then I get so many phantom trackings on top of that, it's pointless. Glad that cams purpose is just watching critters. ;)
Did you try an intrusion box like this?

Attachments

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's not the lake, maybe it could be changes in the shadows on the ground. I noticed when several birds flew over high, their shadows tracked over the ground. Also, the shadows of 1 or two trees seemed to change slightly, difficult to see the cause from the video, but maybe clouds or wind in the trees.

Another thing that maybe worthwhile in reference to my 1st observation, maybe you should consider moving the bird houses / feeders to the side or rear of the property, or even on the house itself to try to remove overflights in the trip zones.

Don't know if these are the cause, but might be worth some more careful video examination.

seaton

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seriously considering one of these to cover the large field and driveway in the country on the approach to our house. My one reservation is I have always been told that most people turn off tracking because of phantoms rendering it useless. I figure being very remote maybe I would be ok, not sure. Thoughts ?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I am seriously considering one of these to cover the large field and driveway in the country on the approach to our house. My one reservation is I have always been told that most people turn off tracking because of phantoms rendering it useless. I figure being very remote maybe I would be ok, not sure. Thoughts ?
I dont get much traffic but works pretty well for me.. plus the digital zoom is outstanding
Dahua SD59225U-HNI

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're in an area without a lot of obstructions in the field of view, tracking will perform much better. Shadows/motion from stationary and/or moving objects (trees) will make consistent autotracking unreliable. It's not always possible, but you should always create intrusion boxes / tripwires away from objects. These can also be set on a time schedule so that late afternoon shadows for example can be managed.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are any of you seeing random issues where the camera doesn't return back to the correct home position please?

It's happened twice in a week here - the first time it suddenly thought home was slightly higher than before and a reboot sorted it and this time it suddenly was pointing further to the right. I manually went through the PTZ locations and they were all off and then I manually moved it left and right and then the positions were back to normal.

I've got the co-ordinates on and it was showing the same position even though it was a different angle.

Seems strange it fixes itself either after a reboot or after manually moving it - maybe a software quirk in the latest versions if anyone else is seeing it?

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are any of you seeing random issues where the camera doesn't return back to the correct home position please?

It's happened twice in a week here - the first time it suddenly thought home was slightly higher than before and a reboot sorted it and this time it suddenly was pointing further to the right. I manually went through the PTZ locations and they were all off and then I manually moved it left and right and then the positions were back to normal.

I've got the co-ordinates on and it was showing the same position even though it was a different angle.

Seems strange it fixes itself either after a reboot or after manually moving it - maybe a software quirk in the latest versions if anyone else is seeing it?
This happened to me a month or so ago.. Moving the camera corrected mine.. hopefully software

Jaxon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My personal opinion after having one up for a decent time is that your likely better served with placing a couple HFW523IE's covering the area required. These PTZs are a great on paper, but reality has proven otherwise.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
My personal opinion after having one up for a decent time is that your likely better served with placing a couple HFW523IE's covering the area required. These PTZs are a great on paper, but reality has proven otherwise.
I love the ability to rotate the camera and zoom in on objects.. i have the ideal spot to utilize a ptz tho.. These pics are approximately 600 ft from camera.

Attachments

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I used to have this problem last year--I don't know if it was the older firmware or not. A few things I've done since then have really reduced many of the glitches I've experienced: I only have three presets and only have IVS setup on one of those presets. Additionally, I let each intrusion box run its default time period (24/7). This camera can do a lot, so I try to limit the number of customizations that create more of a workload for the firmware.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Only time I've had a problem like this, is when I use my 20ft pole to clean spider webs, and I manager to move the cam with the pole.
A PTZ reboot solves it, but I'm certain I'm the problem. ;)

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They have their place, but the typical advice around here is yes, for security, multiple cams are better. Mine is used for critter watching, the 4 legged type.
Such as this:
Critters.20180425_200000_1.jpg

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What's the story behind this capture Looney? Left over Easter eggs? What type of eggs is the fox pillaging?
We have 5 Pekin Ducks, they lay but they don't sit. So my wife places them out for whomever shows up each day.
Whether it be a Raccoon, Coyote, or Fox.

Yes, the ducks are safe and secure at night. ;)

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They have their place, but the typical advice around here is yes, for security, multiple cams are better. Mine is used for critter watching, the 4 legged type.
My PTZ is used for a similar reason - to get better facial grabs from outside the house (we're having a bit of a crime spree due to police cuts meaning the criminals are having a free reign lately) and to catch which cats are pooing everywhere over the front of our house :eek:

Ironically the ones that do it live no more than 10 metres away but the owners don't want them inside due to the amount of weed they're smoking. Amusingly yesterday their drug dealer who delivers was highly excited by the auto tracking!

My PTZ1A225U-IRA-N arrived from @EMPIRETECANDY yesterday (thanks Andy!) so I'll leave it on soak testing while we wait for the mounts to come in stock and it will be interesting to see if that shows similar behaviour (I'm assuming they're on the same software but haven't fired it up just yet).

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK I just fired up the PTZ1A225U and it does have very similar firmware to the latest 59225, it just has a slightly older PTZ firmware installed than the latest 59225:

PTZ1A225U-IRA-N out of box
System Version2.622.0000000.1.R, Build Date: 2017-11-21
PTZ Version2.300.0000000.8.RHNAB_170829_23879

DH-59225-HNI updated to latest
System Version2.622.0000000.1.R, Build Date: 2017-11-21
PTZ Version2.300.0000000.10.RHNT_170926_24381

As you can see the System Versions are the same with the same build date and the PTZ software is a month older - the only version I can see on the Dahua site is the August build for the PTZ1A225U.

I did just notice on one of the UK CCTV sites that the PTZ1A225U-IRA-N is listed at a much higher cost than the DH-59225-HNI - currently £659 + VAT vs £359 + VAT :eek: