Review-IP Villa Outdoor Doorbell Station & Indoor Monitor Kit

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns,

a different angle - since you got DHI-VTO2202F-P have you ever checked the power consumption of it!?
Since all are powered - outdoor unit and inside monitor are powered by a POE switch it can be measured in one place incl. the POE switch - I believe.

As a door bell is 'running' 24/7 the power consumption interests me.
I found old style installations with rather high energy needs and I hope that the new IP stuff is at least not worse.

Thank you ,
INT
No I have not, my poe switch does not display power used. The specs say less than 12watts.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No I have not, my poe switch does not display power used. The specs say less than 12watts.
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I guess you would some tool to measure the power consumption at the plug of the POE switch.
Even if the switch would display the wattage of each used port - it would miss out on its own consumption.
Which to me belongs to the equation as well.

Don't be fooled by documented numbers. I have VTHs here that claim 1W in standby - but the reality is far from it.

INT

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I guess you would some tool to measure the power consumption at the plug of the POE switch.
Even if the switch would display the wattage of each used port - it would miss out on its own consumption.
Which to me belongs to the equation as well.

Don't be fooled by documented numbers. I have VTHs here that claim 1W in standby - but the reality is far from it.

INT
So, you just want to know the power consumption of the POE switch with the VTH and the VTO connected to it? That I can do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are able to replay your messages from the call log ?
Just tried it again, go to Info>All>Guest Msg, and it's there and remains. But no, cant play message from call log, have to use Info>All>Guest Msg

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @looney2ns,

a different angle - since you got DHI-VTO2202F-P have you ever checked the power consumption of it!?
Since all are powered - outdoor unit and inside monitor are powered by a POE switch it can be measured in one place incl. the POE switch - I believe.

As a door bell is 'running' 24/7 the power consumption interests me.
I found old style installations with rather high energy needs and I hope that the new IP stuff is at least not worse.

Thank you ,
INT
5 watts at idle, VTH dark, and VTO not in use.
7-8 watts when VTO & VTH in use.

int

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
5 watts at idle, VTH dark, and VTO not in use.
7-8 watts when VTO & VTH in use.
Thanks for the effort.

One has to wonder that between screen on or off sits only 1W for the VTH possibly in between ( at least that corresponds with my experience w/ A VTH5221D - no real standby mode I believe l).
Do you know the idle for the POE switch by any chance?

Nevertheless the overall idle number of 5W while not perfect- is more than respectable for the setup w/ running a POE IMHO.
The power usage while full engaged is interesting but for the overall power consumption the idle number is much more important in a private setting.

Thanks,
INT

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort.

One has to wonder that between screen on or off sits only 1W for the VTH possibly in between ( at least that corresponds with my experience w/ A VTH5221D - no real standby mode I believe l).
Do you know the idle for the POE switch by any chance?

Nevertheless the overall idle number of 5W while not perfect- is more than respectable for the setup w/ running a POE IMHO.
The power usage while full engaged is interesting but for the overall power consumption the idle number is much more important in a private setting.

Thanks,
INT
The switch with nothing plugged into the poe ports, runs at 0.02amps.

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The doorbell system can do like this.
VTO can add more VTH, but VTH can't add more VTO. For example, 1 VTO can add 4 VTH, but 1 VTH can't add 2-3 VTO.
Not sure what you mean Andy. I have 1 VTH with 2 VTO. Works as expected. Did a one-touch-config from the VTH.

Front and back door chime integration works by monitoring the multicast packets between VTO and VTH and then closing appropriate relay. If this feature is a deal breaker for choosing VTO2202F-P then it can be made to work for about $30 in parts: relay modules, Nano PI, PoE 2.4A 5V splitter.

Attachments

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That setting in mine is for how long the monitor will stay on, IE lit up, before it goes dark. You can set it to never. But, the camera feed will get shut off after a time, although the monitor is still lit up. I'm refering to monitoring the IPC cams, not the VTO's.
I realized I was confused and deleted that part of the comment. My comment was for monitoring "Door" not "IPC" so it may not apply. But to be clear there are two settings, one for the screen on time General -> Display -> "Screenclose Time" and the other is General -> Other -> "Montor Time(s)". I don't know if the second applies to items in the IPC camera list.

If you dont' mind, please share details about your solution on how to monitor the multicast packets to trigger a relay. Other's I'm sure would be interested.
Don't mind at all. Just got the second VTO2202F-P from Andy today. When It is deployed and I'm no longer changing code then I will release a project to Git.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd be interested in just the doorbell camera and mount and would treat it as just another camera. It would be a replacement for a 5231 that is higher and off to the side of the actual front door. Don't have any use for a dedicated monitor in my house and don't need another switch.

Edit:

The build quality on the dahua is significantly better than the yoosee and using the dahua vto eventhandler to trigger mqtt, you have unlimited possibilities.
Does this not have the normal API function of other Dahua cameras? Currently I have a driveway sensor that when triggered sends me a photo from my front door camera (5231 that can see the driveway in the background, via telegram) and I'd need this to be able to do the same thing. Would I need to get fancy with MQTT in order to continue to do this with the doorbell camera?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does this not have the normal API function of other Dahua cameras? Currently I have a driveway sensor that when triggered sends me a photo from my front door camera (5231 that can see the driveway in the background, via telegram) and I'd need this to be able to do the same thing. Would I need to get fancy with MQTT in order to continue to do this with the doorbell camera?
In one of the youtube links from this post is a video showing how to integrate the VTO into Home Assistant. I'm sure can be used as a starting reference for HomeSeer or other HA platforms.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I actually found that video while looking up stuff for home assistant (I recently moved from domotoicz to home assistant) and didn't get very far into the video before I realized I should check ipcamtalk to see if there were any reviews of this camera before wasting my time watching the video reviewing a crap camera. Found this thread and forgot to go back to the video.

I had just assumed since it was Dahua that it would behave just like any others and integrate nicely with my other Dahua cameras/NVR.

Reaction score
I actually found that video while looking up stuff for home assistant (I recently moved from domotoicz to home assistant) and didn't get very far into the video before I realized I should check ipcamtalk to see if there were any reviews of this camera before wasting my time watching the video reviewing a crap camera. Found this thread and forgot to go back to the video.

I had just assumed since it was Dahua that it would behave just like any others and integrate nicely with my other Dahua cameras/NVR.
Unsure about integration with Dahua NVR's but does integrate with Blue Iris as any other camera. Live stream, alerts, recordings, etc.