Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you turn the LED on and off with an http sting though? Would be fairly trivial to mimic that behavior, DVR senses motion, sends string to camera to turn on led, turns off x amount of time after motion has stopped by sending another http string?
That’s one of the things I want to try when I get some free time to play. Hopefully the command is in the API guide already.

Once the command has been determined, using a VMS like Blue Iris or Surveillance Station to toggle the light on/off should be easy. I haven’t seen a NVR that can take custom actions when motion is detected (like making http calls), though.

zape

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a Full Color model, so no built-in IR or IRC. This model cannot "see" light from IR lights.
Is this considered an advantage?
I see that this version is cheaper than non-LED, I wonder why.
If I have some street light (not total darkness), which version should I get?

VisionxOrb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is this considered an advantage?
the advantage/reasoning behind it is, if you are trying to capture full color at night, IR light will cause false colors.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if this model not having a mechanical IR cut filter makes it a little cheaper?

I think for most situations, the other model (that has IR) is the model that will serve best. I think this LED model is best for situations where there is a decent amount of light at night (i.e. well lighted parking lot, where you can run this camera without needing to use the built-in LED lights), or to cover really dark areas (like porches and patios) where the camera's LED lights are useful for lighting the area anytime it's dark outside.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Am I one of the few who like the idea of the LED light? In the very least, something different to the IR night modes, and if one is prepared to schedule the LED on for all of darkness, then it looks to be a great proposition (with some routine cleaning)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I think like @aristobrat says, it has its place. I like mine, its perfect in my dark entryway, the LED's are a backup to the porch light on cloudy/stormy days, and if we forget to turn on the porch light.

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can anybody list the active deterrence version of this model thx

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually looking for the 4MP active deterrence model. Someone in thread #17 has commented there is one but his link is broken. I'm hoping to find a 4MP version which can also turn on LED lights only when motion is detected

Thx

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think like @aristobrat says, it has its place. I like mine, its perfect in my dark entryway, the LED's are a backup to the porch light on cloudy/stormy days, and if we forget to turn on the porch light.
You probably already know about these but thought I would mention it just in case.

I don't ever have to remember to turn my porch lights on. They come on automatically with these bad boys. I also use a light socket plug thingy to power one of my wifi cams in the carport and this way it supplies power to the outlet 24x7 without needing for the light to be on.

Edit: Oops the ones I linked at first were not auto on/off dusk/dawn bulbs lol.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

choi0706

n3wb
Reaction score
can you set these up so the led light turns on when there is motion or trigger?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
can you set these up so the led light turns on when there is motion or trigger?
Not directly. Dahua has some Active Deterrence models in this Pro AI series that use LED lights as alerts (along with a speaker that can play a sound file).

If Dahua’s HTTP API can be used to turn on/off the LED lights on this model (likely) and you’re using a VMS that can run custom commands when motion detection happens (like Blue Iris), there is probably a way to do that with this model.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to go off topic here, but any idea how to add an external speaker to AI-model without having to supply additional power externally?

I'm thinking to add this song to play at max volume,
Not directly. Dahua has some Active Deterrence models in this Pro AI series that use LED lights as alerts (along with a speaker that can play a sound file).

If Dahua’s HTTP API can be used to turn on/off the LED lights on this model (likely) and you’re using a VMS that can run custom commands when motion detection happens (like Blue Iris), there is probably a way to do that with this model.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The LED feature would work well for 4K turrets @EMPIRETECANDY

Wonder if this model not having a mechanical IR cut filter makes it a little cheaper?

I think for most situations, the other model (that has IR) is the model that will serve best. I think this LED model is best for situations where there is a decent amount of light at night (i.e. well lighted parking lot, where you can run this camera without needing to use the built-in LED lights), or to cover really dark areas (like porches and patios) where the camera's LED lights are useful for lighting the area anytime it's dark outside.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you think this would a decent substitute for a night light, since the LED brightness is adjustable? How is the dispersion?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Here are some night videos taken from the driveway. All of the videos have the little garage light on (60W). Some of the videos have the garage light + the soffit lights (two @ ~100W) on. Except where noted in the one video, the camera LEDs are off.

I have not figured out how to get the videos to play back from YouTube in 2K/4MP. They were uploaded to YouTube in their native 2688 x 1520 resolution, but 1080P is the highest playback rate that I see. Any suggestions for that would be appreciated.

This is what the driveway looks like. Camera is on the board to the right of the garage door. I’m about 40 feet away from the camera when I start walking in these videos.

View attachment 42891

5442-LED in bright night scene

In this video, the garage + soffit lights are on, so the scene is pretty bright. The camera is in Auto mode and chose Color.

5442-LED BW

In this video, only the 60W garage light is on. The camera is in Auto mode and chose B/W.

5442-LED w/ LEDs on

In this video, only the 60w garage light is on, so the camera starts in B/W mode. I turn on the cameras LED lights and then the camera switches to color.

5442-LED Forced Color

In this video, only the 60w garage light is on. The camera would normally chose B/W for this, but I forced it to Color.

This pic shows what the two LEDs on the cameras look like from 40 feet away. They’re bright!

View attachment 42892

Here is an evening video:

5442-LED Evening

@aristobrat can you show how the light disperses without any other light on?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you speculate that the spread of light will be moderately good to acceptable?

Yes. It involves climbing a 20ft ladder to unmount the camera, moving it somewhere dark for testing, then putting it back up. It's on my list, I just haven't had much free time lately.