Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Buddym

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh I already checked with Andy and its the PFA121 but I was wanting something in the next few days and conscious it could take his shipment 1 or 2 weeks. And there doesn't seem to be anyone selling that junction box in the UK.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I use the pfa121, take a Look to my posts. You need o-rings to fit the cam to the Box.

pswired

n3wb
Reaction score
See the spec sheet in first post.
I did review the spec sheet, and don't see ePoE listed as a feature. However, I also looked at this camera's spec sheet from a different one of your reviews:

In that spec sheet, ePoE isn't listed in the power section, but the icon is there near the camera image and the description says it's supported, so I'm confused as to whether it's supported on the T5442.

Has anyone tried using the ePOE based coax converters (LR1002) with this camera?

Mech33

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the difference between these latest 1/1.8” sensor cameras and the Dahua “night color” cameras? Is there anything special in the “night color” cameras that would give it better performance at night without IR?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is a project, that I have completed, with this camera. You can see how it looks at night:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the difference between these latest 1/1.8” sensor cameras and the Dahua “night color” cameras? Is there anything special in the “night color” cameras that would give it better performance at night without IR?
The only difference that I’ve noticed is that the Full Color model has LED lights instead of IR and no mechanical IR cut filter (so it doesn’t see IR at night). With the LEDs disabled, my Full Color model switches to b/w at about the same light level as my regular 5442 (with IR disabled).

Reaction score
How do I mount this camera to a vertical gang box that I have outside my house? Is there an adapter for it?

AndrewMRI

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have the pinout / wiring diagram for this camera? It ended up being colder here today than I would have liked and unfortunately with freezing hands and my patience running low for what seemed like am impossible task of fitting the waterproof connector into the junction I ended up crushing the cable when I was trying to get the junction box closed.

In a rush to beat sundown, I cut it off and rewired it to a keystone using the following pinout that seemed to be consistent for a few other Dahua models that I could find:

1 - brown
2 - purple
3 - orange
4 - yellow
5 - yellow
6 - blue
7 - gray
8 - gray

but without a multimeter I wasn't able to confirm that is correct for this model and am a bit worried about connecting to test.

AndrewMRI

n3wb
Reaction score
Remove the plastic that covers the plug, and check the wires at which pins are connected too.
Hasn't worked unfortunately. I had to break the plastic cover off to remove it, then there was a hard gel covering the connections. Getting part way into that pulled half of the wires out of the connector and I still can't even see which colors connect to which pins to confirm.

However, the connector does look look like this:

1 - single wire
2 - single wire
3 - single wire
4 + 5 - shared
6 - single wire
7 + 8 - shared

so it seems to match the pattern expected above. Plugged in the camera and the port slowly flashes on my switch and I can see that it is providing power, but the camera never turns on.

This junction box (PFA130-E) is horrible... There just isn't enough space inside. Was I supposed to skip using the water proof connector for the camera or something? The fit was ridiculous.

AndrewMRI

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm hoping my keystones are just not working with these thin wires. I've tried 3 times now with 2 keystones and every time the PoE switch shows power activity, but no network activity and the camera never turns on.

Is it possible for it to have damaged the camera if only some of the PoE wires were cut when it was crushed?

I don't know what else to do... I don't have budget for another camera and it is seriously pissing me off that a $20 junction box that's supposed to protect it has apparently destroyed the $200 camera.

Tokens

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't trust junction boxes even if they're rated as waterproof. Use also a silicone tape to protect the connection inside the box.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping my keystones are just not working with these thin wires. I've tried 3 times now with 2 keystones and every time the PoE switch shows power activity, but no network activity and the camera never turns on.

Is it possible for it to have damaged the camera if only some of the PoE wires were cut when it was crushed?

I don't know what else to do... I don't have budget for another camera and it is seriously pissing me off that a $20 junction box that's supposed to protect it has apparently destroyed the $200 camera.
The junction box didn't destroy the camera. The installer was at fault for trying to rush the job....never results in a good ending.

AndrewMRI

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I know I'm just frustrated at this point. :(

In my defense, I only 'rushed' after the cable was destroyed to try to fix it. I was being careful to make sure the cables were all inside the junction box, and that's the part that bothers me. The cables were all INSIDE, so it's not like it was hanging out and I just recklessly closed it without seeing. Everything was tucked away inside and taped down to keep it in place, or so I thought, so it was going well as far as I knew. From what I could tell after opening it the part of the cable that got damaged looked like it was crushed between the waterproof connector and the thicker middle part of the lid as it was being tightened.

Anyway, can't go back and undo it. Maybe I could have done something differently, but I just really want to be able to fix it now. I feel like the camera should still be working since it just seems like it should be a matter of fitting a new connector, but that hasn't helped. If I thought it would work, I'd go out and get a solder iron and splice it to a RJ45 instead of these cheap keystones that I have (it doesn't look like it's punching them in properly, the gauge is probably too small), but at this point I am concerned that this has somehow damaged the actual camera and don't know how to confirm that.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
but at this point I am concerned that this has somehow damaged the actual camera and don't know how to confirm that.
The only thing I can think of is finding a DC power adapter and using the separate power thing on the pigtail.

AndrewMRI

n3wb
Reaction score
I know the switch poe ports are working, so a passive poe injector like this should be sufficient to test, right? The pigtail for the power was cut too, so I'll need to rewire it to the R/B on what's left of the cable.

Will confirm with Andy as well for the pinout, but as it's the only pinout I've seen for Dahua I'm guessing it's correct

Thanks guys

Reaction score
hello, new to the site, just read this monster!!!
Hey, andewMRI take the cut off connector and use a multimeter in ohms mode to pin out the wires.
meters are cheap and you will have your answers quickly

going to order a few of these cameras.

Last edited: