Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Right now with the Covid19 mess, you MIGHT get it quicker from Amazon. Some have reported the normal 3-5 day delivery from china.
Cheapest is to email @EMPIRETECANDY directly and have him send you an invoice you can pay with paypal.
Thanks, I sent him a message!

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it better to get the camera off of Amazon or Aliexpress? It's cheaper on AliExpress.
I got a couple directly from Andy just a couple of weeks ago and postage was quick (I was expecting a delay) and price is always better directly from Andy in my experience.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Right now with the Covid19 mess, you MIGHT get it quicker from Amazon. Some have reported the normal 3-5 day delivery from china.
Cheapest is to email @EMPIRETECANDY directly and have him send you an invoice you can pay with paypal.
Right now small package (1-5 cams)shipping is going better now, but for bulk orders still very slow.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting IVS to work with snapshots? I can't for the life of me get this to work even though I have another Dahua camera and I'm using the same settings and snapshots work fine with that camera.

I have the IVS tripwire rule drawn and the period enabled to 24x7. I then have Snapshots checked in the same IVS area. I also the Storage -> Schedule -> Snapshots enabled 24x7.

Under Camera -> Video -> Snapshot I can pick between "General" and "Event". If I choose "Event" the setting won't save. It reverts back to "General". Something isn't right...

thansen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting IVS to work with snapshots? I can't for the life of me get this to work even though I have another Dahua camera and I'm using the same settings and snapshots work fine with that camera.

I have the IVS tripwire rule drawn and the period enabled to 24x7. I then have Snapshots checked in the same IVS area. I also the Storage -> Schedule -> Snapshots enabled 24x7.

Under Camera -> Video -> Snapshot I can pick between "General" and "Event". If I choose "Event" the setting won't save. It reverts back to "General". Something isn't right...
It works fine here with that cam. I am saving snapshots to my NAS when IVS tripwire is triggered.

Have you checked the alarm box in Storage -> Destination -> Path ?

Regarding "General" and "Event" setting, as i understand it, it's two different settings you can set, like you have day and night settings, if that makes sense ( English is not my native language )

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It works fine here with that cam. I am saving snapshots to my NAS when IVS tripwire is triggered.

Have you checked the alarm box in Storage -> Destination -> Path ?

Regarding "General" and "Event" setting, as i understand it, it's two different settings you can set, like you have day and night settings, if that makes sense ( English is not my native language )
Yes my path is defined and I can see it wrote it’s serial number as a directory in the NFS share on my NAS so I know it has write permission.

Do you have a SD card installed? That is the only difference I can tell between this camera (no SD card) and my other Dahua (SD installed). The other Dahua works great with IVS and saving to my NAS.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Well I think I figured out the IVS/snapshot issue and having it save snapshots to my NAS. If you want IVS to work you have to go to Event -> Smart Plan -> IVS button (light bulb). Once you have it clicked it should turn orange. Then click "Save". From there you can then configure your IVS rules, period it runs, storage location, snapshot period, etc...

I've been staring at this menu GUI for days trying to figure this out and I finally said "Lets see what Smart Plan is". Sure enough, you enable IVS from there. Hopefully this helps someone in the future trying to setup IVS. Whats crazy is I have another Dahua camera running with IVS/snapshots and at some point in the past when setting up that camera I went into this same menu on that camera and enabled the IVS "Light bulb". Not sure why my brain didn't remember that. I have no recollection of that at all...

Any way, I love Dahua cams but, damn, they need better documentation. This is an excellent camera. Thinking of picking another up.

Reaction score
Anybody know what the differences are between the IPC-HDW5442TM-AS and IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE?
Looking at the specs, there seems no difference at all.
Usually, camera names ending with 'E' have the long distance or extended network communication built in. Meaning, they will go a lot further with an ethernet cable from the POE source. The normal cams will go to 300', and the 'E' models go more than double that. Look at the Spec sheet download (PDF) and it will show it is ePoe.

@redfive beat me to it!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah specs show 800’ for 10Mbps. Pretty cool.

teemu81

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the newest firmware for this family of cameras (5x31, 5x41, 5x42). On countries with crowd limitations for stores they can provide a very cheap solution for attendance control on stores with a single entrance/exit:

For the cameras of this family without alarm output a firmware will be released soon to make this new feats work with NVR of the 5 series.