Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm building my first real IP cam system for home surveillance. I plan to start with ~4 cameras for the exterior of my home. It is fairly well lit with flood lights but I am primarily focused on watching what happens at night. I'm trying to pick out some general wide FOV cameras to start with. Forgive me for not reading all 44 pages of this thread but my question is this in a nutshell: Are these cameras worth the ~$140 I see them listed for on AliExpress? I have been considering the IPC-HDW4631C-A 4MP 6MP which is around $58 landed. So I could almost buy three of the cheaper cameras for the price of one of these 5442 cams. I ran plenty of extra Cat6 outside so I'm literally weighing more cameras vs better quality cameras.

Does anyone familiar with the cheaper Dahuas and the 5442 care to weigh in and compare?

Are the 5442s the best value at this moment?

Any others I should consider? There are so many IP cameras it is a bit overwhelming...

If there is a better place to post this where people are rating the top camera values at this time please let me know. Thanks guys! Excited to build my system :)

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

Value has a lot to do with your needs and preferences. You've got 2 issues here: (1) Buying a chinese market camera, and (2) Low light image quality. When I started my system a few years ago I had the same quality vs. quantity issue. I went with a larger quantity of chinese market cameras which have served me well. At that time the Dahua NVR I have worked with these cameras. That has changed, and a newer Dahua NVR will not work with chinese market cameras, so if you're going with a Dahua NVR, the decision is already made for you, don't get the chinese market cameras.

If you're going to use BI, then it's down to the quality vs. quantity vs. budget tradeoffs. Contrary to what others think, I've seen no difference in the quality and reliability of the chinese market vs. international dahua cameras. I have no regrets having originally gone the quantity route, but since then I've placed a much higher value on the camera system and am slowly replacing the older cameras, first with 2MP startlights and now with 5442s. Not because the older cameras are chinese market, but because of the better low light sensitivity of the 2MP starlights and 5442s. Whether chinese market or international, these cameras are "grey market" and if you have any problems you're at the mercy and integrity of the seller. Many of us have settled on Andy in Hong Kong as the source for Dahua equipment. There's a section for him in the vendors area of the forum. I've got three 5442s right now, and for my eyes they are clearly superior to the other models I have for low light sensitivity. I do not have any of the 6MP cameras for that direct comparison. If you want to go the quantity route, Andy has a under-$100 4MP model you should seriously look at.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Slugger My comment is that you get what you pay for, no matter what brand you buy. Just stay away from the Reolink, Foscam, Nest, Ring, Wyze, yada, yada, junk. I'd also suggest that your read the Cliff Notes in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page.
Yea I understand that. But I'm also a tech geek who has purchased literally hundreds and hundreds of tech gadgets throughout my 40-something years on earth. At this stage of my life I have realized that the old adage you quoted is true BUT it has one major caveat. Technology depreciates. AND FAST. How good are those $140 cameras going to be in 3-5 years? I love the idea of having recorded video all around my property. And I plan to get that. But at what cost? And with all technology purchases, you typically go into the decision expecting that you'll use it WAY more than you actually end up using it (of course with a few exceptions like computers and smartphones). I know this is true with me anyways.... I'm not running a business. I'm sure there will be weeks and probably months that go by where I don't even check my cameras. I'm a conservative person now. So I always try to make sure I get the most "bang for buck" and use out of every dollar I spend. I know with computer parts there is always a "sweet spot" where you get the most tech for each dollar. The best value. I am simply trying to determine where that sweet spot is with the current state of IP camera technology.

And as a side note: I have already owned or still own all of these: 2010 era Foscam IP Cams, Logitech webcams, Arlo Pro wireless cams, Wyze pan cams, Ring Doorbell Pro. These have all had their place and I got more use out of some than others. The Wyze cams in particular provided a great value. I know they weren't amazing cameras but hey, they were $30 and they allowed me to keep an eye on a home renovation project. They met the need. So I would actually say they gave me the highest ROI (value) out of any cameras I have ever owned.

Now I don't expect to get that kind of ROI on the IP cams. But I am looking for the best value for my money.

I'll quit rambling on the internet now. Thanks for your input sebastiantombs. I'll go back and read the Cliff notes again. I read them months ago but forgot some of it.

Now back to my question: Are they worth $140 when compared to the 4631C that I can get for $58?

Last edited:

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Value has a lot to do with your needs and preferences. You've got 2 issues here: (1) Buying a chinese market camera, and (2) Low light image quality. When I started my system a few years ago I had the same quality vs. quantity issue. I went with a larger quantity of chinese market cameras which have served me well. At that time the Dahua NVR I have worked with these cameras. That has changed, and a newer Dahua NVR will not work with chinese market cameras, so if you're going with a Dahua NVR, the decision is already made for you, don't get the chinese market cameras.

If you're going to use BI, then it's down to the quality vs. quantity vs. budget tradeoffs. Contrary to what others think, I've seen no difference in the quality and reliability of the chinese market vs. international dahua cameras. I have no regrets having originally gone the quantity route, but since then I've placed a much higher value on the camera system and am slowly replacing the older cameras, first with 2MP startlights and now with 5442s. Not because the older cameras are chinese market, but because of the better low light sensitivity of the 2MP starlights and 5442s. Whether chinese market or international, these cameras are "grey market" and if you have any problems you're at the mercy and integrity of the seller. Many of us have settled on Andy in Hong Kong as the source for Dahua equipment. There's a section for him in the vendors area of the forum. I've got three 5442s right now, and for my eyes they are clearly superior to the other models I have for low light sensitivity. I do not have any of the 6MP cameras for that direct comparison. If you want to go the quantity route, Andy has a under-$100 4MP model you should seriously look at.
Thanks for the advice tigerwillow1. I don't plan to use an NVR now. I thought about it but I've already got an I7 windows machine that isn't in use and I really want the user experience to be good. So I'm going to dive right in with Blue Iris! I also like the idea of building over time with a variety of gear. Thanks for mentioning Andy. I'll see what he has and maybe consult with him. I might buy one of each camera and compare myself! I can always use the lesser camera in a better lighted area I guess...

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I might buy one of each camera and compare myself!
I think that's a great strategy so you can judge for yourself. I wish I would have thought to mention it because whenever I've tried a new model I've started out with just one. The lower priced camera will likely perform just as well during the day. When you compare the low light performance, do it with moving objects. The noise reduction capability of the cameras can make still images look pretty good. I've seen cases where an animal running by at night would give a blurry image on a 2MP starlight, a clearer image on the 5442, and not even show up on the older cameras.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take your time, and plan. Then plan some more.
Study the cliff notes.
There are many comparisons' of the China Region cams and the International Models on this board.
IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP will be horrible at night.

Slugger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Take your time, and plan. Then plan some more.
Study the cliff notes.
There are many comparisons' of the China Region cams and the International Models on this board.
IPC-HDW4631C-A 6MP will be horrible at night.
Thanks for the advice. I will read and plan more. I'm a techy but ugh... So much to consider and learn with this! I need to get back to work lol!

Brazeal

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will read and plan more. I'm a techy but ugh... So much to consider and learn with this! I need to get back to work lol!
I'm just now building my system, and I've read the Wiki, the Cliff Notes multiple times, and this whole thread at least twice. Based on that and the multiple camera review threads, I purchased four of the 5442 turrets as the best bang for the buck camera and will purchase more when the varifocal turrets are available.

Reaction score
I am simply trying to determine where that sweet spot is with the current state of IP camera technology.
I understand. I currently have 18 Dahua cameras of 10 different models. Each model has a job to do and I chose the model that best fits that job for the cost. The price range I have spent is $79-$220 per camera. I have bought all of my cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY and do so by sending him an email. I did not buy all 18 at one time. First I bought one, then a few at a time over the course of almost two years now.

I have posted a comparison of the $79 camera with the $154 T5442TM-AS in 2.8mm in the following thread, post #2:

You may find that this helps you decide.

The IPC-HDW4631C-A that you asked about is a 6MP camera on a 1/2.9" sensor. That will not give you a good low-light color image. Too many pixels on a small sensor. The 5442's have only 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor, which is a much bigger sensor. That is why they are so good for low-light color mode.

For cameras that have the job of trying to give you a good face shot at night in color, you need that low-light color performance. I have an HDW5231R-ZE covering my driveway that has given good face shots of door checkers. The last one was used by the police to identify and arrest the guy. He did not get into my car, but he did get into many others that night. My capture was the only one in the area that was good enough for the police to use. The Rings, Reolinks, Arlos, and Nest cameras that he was picked up on were not good enough images to ID the perp. Some of the problem was due to bad placement, but mostly it was due to bad low-light performance.
4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg

This camera was the top dog here for several years. I am replacing it with the T5442TM-AS 6mm. Why? Well I am not satisfied with the image quality of the door checker. I want better. I have upgraded the lighting on the driveway and am now putting the best camera for the job in that position.

So from my perspective, take it slow, research and plan. It is not always necessary to get the very best most expensive camera at each position. But it is smart to decide what you are trying to achieve at each position and buy the camera that makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also, a google search turned up this thread from 2017:

and then there is this one from 2018:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just now building my system, and I've read the Wiki, the Cliff Notes multiple times, and this whole thread at least twice. Based on that and the multiple camera review threads, I purchased four of the 5442 turrets as the best bang for the buck camera and will purchase more when the varifocal turrets are available.
I just ordered one for my backyard Cam from Andy, I am also looking forward to the varifocal when it comes out.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I understand that. But I'm also a tech geek who has purchased literally hundreds and hundreds of tech gadgets throughout my 40-something years on earth. At this stage of my life I have realized that the old adage you quoted is true BUT it has one major caveat. Technology depreciates. AND FAST. How good are those $140 cameras going to be in 3-5 years? I love the idea of having recorded video all around my property. And I plan to get that. But at what cost? And with all technology purchases, you typically go into the decision expecting that you'll use it WAY more than you actually end up using it (of course with a few exceptions like computers and smartphones). I know this is true with me anyways.... I'm not running a business. I'm sure there will be weeks and probably months that go by where I don't even check my cameras. I'm a conservative person now. So I always try to make sure I get the most "bang for buck" and use out of every dollar I spend. I know with computer parts there is always a "sweet spot" where you get the most tech for each dollar. The best value. I am simply trying to determine where that sweet spot is with the current state of IP camera technology.

And as a side note: I have already owned or still own all of these: 2010 era Foscam IP Cams, Logitech webcams, Arlo Pro wireless cams, Wyze pan cams, Ring Doorbell Pro. These have all had their place and I got more use out of some than others. The Wyze cams in particular provided a great value. I know they weren't amazing cameras but hey, they were $30 and they allowed me to keep an eye on a home renovation project. They met the need. So I would actually say they gave me the highest ROI (value) out of any cameras I have ever owned.

Now I don't expect to get that kind of ROI on the IP cams. But I am looking for the best value for my money.

I'll quit rambling on the internet now. Thanks for your input sebastiantombs. I'll go back and read the Cliff notes again. I read them months ago but forgot some of it.

Now back to my question: Are they worth $140 when compared to the 4631C that I can get for $58?
From looking at your list of Cams, pretty sure you have your mind already made up on the 4631C, not sure what answer you are looking for. It is good you are looking to move past the cloud based entry level Cams.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand. I currently have 18 Dahua cameras of 10 different models. Each model has a job to do and I chose the model that best fits that job for the cost. The price range I have spent is $79-$220 per camera. I have bought all of my cameras from @EMPIRETECANDY and do so by sending him an email. I did not buy all 18 at one time. First I bought one, then a few at a time over the course of almost two years now.

I have posted a comparison of the $79 camera with the $154 T5442TM-AS in 2.8mm in the following thread, post #2:

You may find that this helps you decide.

The IPC-HDW4631C-A that you asked about is a 6MP camera on a 1/2.9" sensor. That will not give you a good low-light color image. Too many pixels on a small sensor. The 5442's have only 4MP on a 1/1.8" sensor, which is a much bigger sensor. That is why they are so good for low-light color mode.

For cameras that have the job of trying to give you a good face shot at night in color, you need that low-light color performance. I have an HDW5231R-ZE covering my driveway that has given good face shots of door checkers. The last one was used by the police to identify and arrest the guy. He did not get into my car, but he did get into many others that night. My capture was the only one in the area that was good enough for the police to use. The Rings, Reolinks, Arlos, and Nest cameras that he was picked up on were not good enough images to ID the perp. Some of the problem was due to bad placement, but mostly it was due to bad low-light performance.
View attachment 63234

This camera was the top dog here for several years. I am replacing it with the T5442TM-AS 6mm. Why? Well I am not satisfied with the image quality of the door checker. I want better. I have upgraded the lighting on the driveway and am now putting the best camera for the job in that position.

So from my perspective, take it slow, research and plan. It is not always necessary to get the very best most expensive camera at each position. But it is smart to decide what you are trying to achieve at each position and buy the camera that makes the most sense.
Great advise. It really depends on what someone is expecting out of their footage. Do they want to just watch blurry thieves/vandals or actually catch them with good quality footage to be able to turn in as convictable evidence. Having a good LPR makes perfect sense to me too.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which Card for the 5442? I have the 128GB version of the SanDisk Extreme in my Hik Doorbell for almost a year, which I have had no problems with. My thought when I got the 128 was the V30 and 4K rating for video recording. I have had bad experiences with slow cards when recording video in my GoPro and Digital Cameras so I know getting a good card is important, just curious what brand/speed/size cards you guys have, your experiences, do I need 256? Thanks...
Oh I do understand this is for backup since I will be recording to a BI PC, possibly 24/7...

Thanks,
David

1591440871342.png

Info from Cliff Notes:

1591443427697.png

Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, yeah this is the one I have too, good card:

With 4K video, Class 10 cards only are questionable, plus I had some Class 10 cards that bombed in my GoPro...I think V30 is the minimum now a days.

1591450467552.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Technology depreciates. AND FAST.
The tech that has the biggest influence on low-light image quality is the image sensor, and IMO there's nothing fast about that tech segment. :D

From mid-2016 until mid-2019, the Sony STARVIS 2MP 1/2.8" image sensor is what you'd find in the best $120-$250 low-light cameras from Dahua/Hik.
Mid-2019 is when Dahua started using an even better 4MP 1/1.8" image sensor in camera models that are around the same price...
.... so that was almost a three year run where camera tech in that price-range didn't really change in terms of low-light image quality.

How good are those $140 cameras going to be in 3-5 years?
Still noticeably better (in terms of low-light performance) when compared to cameras that cost less because they're using cheaper-tech when it comes to image sensors.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's writing to SD card constantly, get an endurance card. It should last at least 3 times as long and may be warantied. An ordinary SD will not.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just took the plunge for the Dahua N45EF63. I think it the equivalent of the IPC-HFW5442T=ASE-NI
Its a bullet with a F1.0 or a 1.2, 3.6mm. lens - I get conflicting specs from different sources.
I'm moving a 5442TM-AS to a darker area. This NI model should do well with some light source available at my front entry area and driveway, with a small lake view.
I can't wait to see how this performs.