Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there a particular model that you chose? I see several 5442 bullets.

Also, why do you prefer bullet over turret?

thanks!
Maybe I can answer, he likes spiders to keep the bugs away for night IR :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually with the newer bullets that have the large IR LEDs away from the lens, I have no more problem with spider webs than with turrets.

The problem with spider webs and bullets is from older and cheaper bullets with cheap rings of small IR LEDs close to the lens.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I prefer bullets in most instances as I think they provide a better depth of field. It’s a subjective observation though as I have no hard data to support it.

rawbar

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the correct wall mount bracket for this cam (without junction box)? The usual pfb203w doesn't work, holes don't align.

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
Digging my way through 50 pages but I'll just ask before I am done: Did Dahua ever solve the overexposure and IR at night time on IPC-T5442TM-AS? As it makes close rage recognition impossible.

Was SmartIR ever added to firmware?

Update:
After a new firmware update, the IR issue is solved.
Firmware has yet to be officially released.
The AI and IVS features are now working properly again as well on this cam.
Nice! It was fixed.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Digging my way through 50 pages but I'll just ask before I am done: Did Dahua ever solve the overexposure and IR at night time on IPC-T5442TM-AS? As it makes close rage recognition impossible.

Was SmartIR ever added to firmware?

Nice! It was fixed.
Dahua hasn't released a fixed firmware yet. We are all still waiting.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can check out this post: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Dahua is moving to the same firmware for all the 5442s.

I have two 5442s. Smart IR does not work in its current state. You have to use manual and tone it down. Hopefully Andy will release the newest firmware that corrects it soon.

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
You can check out this post: IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :)

Dahua is moving to the same firmware for all the 5442s.

I have two 5442s. Smart IR does not work in its current state. You have to use manual and tone it down. Hopefully Andy will release the newest firmware that corrects it soon.
Thank you. I saw the video Andy posted just under the post you linked. Looked pretty decent to me but I guess this is an ongoing struggle to improve and fix firmware ever so slightly. I think he said he'll be using this one with all new stock from now on.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah its not really that big of deal to be honest. Its easy enough to manually tweak the settings and turn down IR just a bit to avoid the washout. But it will be nice to have it fixed going forward as well.

dex90

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah its not really that big of deal to be honest. Its easy enough to manually tweak the settings and turn down IR just a bit to avoid the washout. But it will be nice to have it fixed going forward as well.
Yep, I think I'll still buy this one as my base camera. Btw, did we ever get a varifocal turret 1/1.8'' 4MP option? I am on page 21 so far and it seems keeping the camera fixed in place is a bigger issue than IR at this point.

Last edited:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I think I'll still buy this one as my base camera. Btw, did we ever get a varifocal turret 1/1.8'' 4MP option? I am on page 21 so far and it seems keeping the camera fixed in place is a bigger issue than IR at this point.

IPC-HDW5442T-ZE New cam from Dahua :) Varifocal Thread

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question, so the post from Widlcat_1 does it apply to the fixed 5442 as well or just the varifocal?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Question, so the post from Widlcat_1 does it apply to the fixed 5442 as well or just the varifocal?
As far as the "tweaks"? I don't know but I'd say its a good jumping off point. I have the fixed version and did my own tweaks and tinkering to avoid the washout before he posted his review.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As far as the "tweaks"? I don't know but I'd say its a good jumping off point. I have the fixed version and did my own tweaks and tinkering to avoid the washout before he posted his review.
Thank You. Would you mind sharing yours? I will be setting up my 5442 fixed soon and will want to tweak it until the firmware fix comes available.

Thanks,
David