Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
My experience with critters is that they are attracted to bullet form factor cameras way more than turret form factor. The ring of LEDs around the lens makes them stand out nicely to spiders and some flying cousins. I have some cheap bullets that need regular cleaning but the turrets never seem to need that. I do have an exception with a Dahua B5442E-ZE bullet. I'm using the IR on it, set at about 50%, and have yet to have a spider problem since I installed it two months ago. The IR emitters are separated from the lens which I think is the key to success in not attracting spiders.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually most of the newer bullets over the past few years (going back to the 5231 series) use the new larger IR emitters spaced away from the lens much like the 5442. I use a lot of bullets as I think they have better depth of field and really dont have any more trouble with spiders than with my turrets.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't kept up with this thread and it is now too long to read every page. I remember two problems described with the new 4MP turrets. 1. The housing size was incorrect so that the turret could move even when tightened. 2. Some software issue, perhaps IVS not working? Have either of these problems been fixed?

Also, has Dahua added a 4MP varifocal turret yet? Thanks,

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's the same image sensor as the one with IR. If you mount either model in a location that gets enough ambient light at night, both models will stay in color without using their built-in IR/LED lights. If there isn't enough ambient light at night, the LED model flips on those two bright-ass LED lights and stays in color mode, but IMO now the camera looks like an "always on" night-time floodlight. The IR model switches to B/W mode and flips the IR lights on (which you can't see). I think in most situations, the IR model makes more sense.
I went with the IR model for this reason too.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Spiders are attracted to bugs :) not lights. Bugs are attracted to lights. Spider feast on bugs and setup webs where bugs fly. I read a good article once that said the best way to keep spiders away from your house is to move your flood lights away from the house, which made sense but in most cases are not probable/possible, that is lights would be on or by our fences. Maybe if they were on a tall pole, but then you would have to run power to them. With this setup you would be creating a prison yard instead of a back yard :)
To me, and maybe spiders too :), it seems the bullet Cams are easier to build webs on.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sidenote; why do spiders love car mirrors?
ESP living behind them?
I’ve got one who has moved on from the mirror housing to inside. Every time I get in I can feel strands of web in my face. Not seen it yet but the last time I had this it was a tiny spider but damn it was making a whole host of web.

spencers

n3wb
Reaction score
Received this camera yesterday and wow, what a difference. The 2.8mm on a 1/1.8” sensor is so much wider than the camera it replaced (2.8mm 1/3” sensor).
Not enough ambient light to keep in color, but IR lights can stay off because it pulls in so much light.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Received this camera yesterday and wow, what a difference. The 2.8mm on a 1/1.8” sensor is so much wider than the camera it replaced (2.8mm 1/3” sensor).
Not enough ambient light to keep in color, but IR lights can stay off because it pulls in so much light.
Can you post up screenshot of the difference?

spencers

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you post up screenshot of the difference?
Absolutely! Please see attached. Mounting location is exactly the same as before. I was in a slight rush to swap out the camera so the new one is aimed a little further down, but as you can see the extra width is bringing in the roof peak at the top corners.

Hikvision DS-2CD2135F-IS
Driveway 2020-06-25 07.23.36.0 PM.jpg

Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS
Driveway2 2020-06-25 07.48.02.734 PM.jpg

With IR off
Driveway2 2020-06-25 10.05.48.839 PM.jpg

With IR on
Driveway2 2020-06-25 10.05.55.373 PM.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You’re going to want the IR on of course. Otherwise you’ll probably get motion blur and a fair amount of noise with any movement.

fnhanks

n3wb
Reaction score
How often does Andy get new stock in? Was hoping to get a 2.8 but they’re out of stock. I can get it off amazon right now, but don’t want to pay an extra $20 if he gets new ones in somewhat frequently.

Tekbotslaya

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How often does Andy get new stock in? Was hoping to get a 2.8 but they’re out of stock. I can get it off amazon right now, but don’t want to pay an extra $20 if he gets new ones in somewhat frequently.
Message him. He will tell you. He may have them already and just needs to update. Who knows.

Aogen

n3wb
Reaction score
Made an account to ask this, is there a cheaper variant without the AI features? Perhaps one that uses the same sensor?

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
does anyone know where to find smart motion detection for human and vehicles?
Youtube says under events but someone mentioned here it isn't actually under there.

Mine is V2.800.0000000.10.R, Build Date: 2019-11-18

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting, didn't know that was there. What is the difference between "draw rule" vs draw target?
Draw Rule is where you draw a line(s) on the screen that tells the camera which areas the rule (tripwire, intrusion zone) applies to. Draw Target lets you draw a temporary box on the screen for the purpose of figuring out the pixel size for target min/max sizes (if used). For example, if you get birds on your lawn and don't want them to trigger the IVS rule, you could use the Draw Target to draw a box bigger than a bird and set that to be the new minimum target size. The box you drew disappears after the dimensions have been read and copied into the size areas.

dcmkii

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@aristobrat thanks ! So i assume you have to draw up an area to establish a zone

Also a question for all, I'm noticing that motion detection isn't working very well. When someone walks up the stairs as an example, it only detects it after almost 5 seconds.
I have tweaked anti-dither to 0 seconds already. Do you guys put continuous recording on plus MD ?