Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the reply, I was just confused that it didn't find the correct model of camera and just chose a standard camera profile. My NAS used to find the correct model, but maybe Blue Iris doesn't work this way. Cheers!
Nope, BI in most case's Find/Inspect finds the best settings.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Will this work with the same junction boxes used in the 2MP Starlight fixed lens turret?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping though this turret as well as future models would be able to fit previous junction box designs such as PFA136 / PFA139; that way we would not need to purchase additional junction boxes because of minor design changes.

Without the o-rings, the ground case of the turret cam doesn't sit tight on the junction box.

Buddym

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I was hoping though this turret as well as future models would be able to fit previous junction box designs such as PFA136 / PFA139; that way we would not need to purchase additional junction boxes because of minor design changes.
If you look at dahua you will see that dahua list the pfa-122 as junction box and not pfa-121.

The only way to find out, if your junction box, you must try it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Something tells me that Dahua changed the screw layout for this particular model to accommodate the SD card slot and reset button behind the cover on this camera's casing

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the consensus of this 4mp over the more popular 2mp? I sense that the sensor size is the biggest factor in terms of well-adequate night-time performance

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Having tested the bullet version I like it better than the 5231, as long as you have enough light to run it in color at night.

Lack of Smart IR washes out anything closer than about 10-12ft if in B&W/IR mode.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, lack of Smart IR is something to think about; hopefully they can implement Smart IR in the next firmware update. :)

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sense that the sensor size is the biggest factor in terms of well-adequate night-time performance
IMO, don't forget to factor in the pixel count too.

For example, this 4MP camera uses the same size image sensor as some 8MP models (1831/2831). Even though the sensor size is the same, the extra pixels in the 8MP models result in a smaller pixel size, which gives it a low-light disadvantage when compared to the 4MP model.

Last edited:

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Guys, in the camera options Video page, under"Encode mode" there is an option for "Smart Codec" to be on or off. Can anyone enlighten me to what this is or does?

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where are the IR lights? This camera is supposed to have 2, yet I don't see any in the photos. Also on-line pictures (like on ebay) showing this camera I don't see any IR lights on the front.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The IR LED's are under the black plastic cover. You wont see them unless you're looking at them at night

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, in the camera options Video page, under"Encode mode" there is an option for "Smart Codec" to be on or off. Can anyone enlighten me to what this is or does?
Check out the linked article for some good details. Smart Codec uses extra processing power on the camera which can cause some features (like IVS) to disappear when Smart Codec is enabled.

Smart codecs aim to reduce bandwidth consumption without losing visible image quality by intelligently increasing compression where it will not make a [visible] difference in the scene. See our guide unlocked Smart Codec Guide

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this camera do sound-level triggered photo (email) and/or recording to SD card?

cadmunkey

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check out the linked article for some good details. Smart Codec uses extra processing power on the camera which can cause some features (like IVS) to disappear when Smart Codec is enabled.
Thanks for that, was an interesting read. Smart codec sounds like it might solve the ghosting issue I have on one of my cams at night. Worth a try, cheers!