Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you getting tripwires on other than people? It trips when I walk through it, but I've had all sorts of animals, including deer, walk through it with zero trips. It's almost like the "people only" filter is on, but it's not.
I don't have any cooperative non-people to test the tripwire for smaller objects. :banghead:

BTW, in addition to AO and MO not working very well I note that the SmartMotion features have been removed from the latest software. It was previously reported that this cam has AI features that include enabling detection of Human and/or Motor Vehicles (only filter). I see no such settings that are supposed to be under: Setting > Event > Smart Motion Detection

Web Operation Manual

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I got AO and MO to trigger...so I guess it's working...sort of. It seems to be inconsistent as hell. Maybe there's a contrast issue. Don't know as I haven't figured out the secret sauce to find the exact reason for the inconsistency. Is there a "size" setting needed to make this thing work better?

The controls in the blue box seem to be pretty straightforward. You draw the box the IVS rule type applies to. The purpose of the red, green and orange boxes are very intuitively obvious to me as to how they affect triggering. Maybe this is my problem trying to get AO and MO working consistently. Anyone know? And again, where are those automobile and human filter switches located in the latest firmware?
Capture.JPG
My guess is Max Size mean anything larger than the specified area will not trigger and likewise anything smaller than Min Size will not trigger. Pixel Counter apparently is a tool just to size up how many pixel are in a box you draw. With two buttons called Clear and two buttons called Draw Target they certainly went out of their way to increase the confusion factor...LOL.

Last edited:

synk

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua sells a wall mount.
Are you talking about the PFB204W? That mount has a flat top that birds can stand on. I thought that one of the key advantages of eyeball style was that birds would be less likely to roost on them. If I have to wall mount, would it make more sense to buy the bullet version rather than buying this and having to deal with a wall mount?

DiegoWEB

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you talking about the PFB204W? That mount has a flat top that birds can stand on. I thought that one of the key advantages of eyeball style was that birds would be less likely to roost on them. If I have to wall mount, would it make more sense to buy the bullet version rather than buying this and having to deal with a wall mount?
You can wall mount this camera without the wall mount thing. The problem is how you gonna plug the ethernet cable without making a big hole into the wall to get the camera cable into the other side of the wall, to make a proper and safer connection.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This is why I have asked in another post, if it would be possible to cut those plugs and solder directly the wires to the board inside.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You can wall mount this camera without the wall mount thing. The problem is how you gonna plug the ethernet cable without making a big hole into the wall to get the camera cable into the other side of the wall, to make a proper and safer connection.
Aristobrat already answered this for you on the previous page:

Dahua sell a junction box the camera mounts to.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have any cooperative non-people to test the tripwire for smaller objects. :banghead:

BTW, in addition to AO and MO not working very well I note that the SmartMotion features have been removed from the latest software. It was previously reported that this cam has AI features that include enabling detection of Human and/or Motor Vehicles (only filter). I see no such settings that are supposed to be under: Setting > Event > Smart Motion Detection

Web Operation Manual
Never mind...they moved it, LOL! Engineers are known for poor documentation...here's where they hid it on this particular model:

Capture.JPG

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not had that problem with two of those mounts on my house.
Bullets have many more issue's with spiders.

synk

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. Those photos help out a lot. It makes sense to me now. I can't check since I'm not there, but my house has plates where the camera would be mounted. I imagine if I were to open up those plates, then there would already be a junction box since the house is prewired for Cat 6. Assuming that's there, then all I would need to complete installation would be to seal it up with silicon (stucco wall) to prevent water intrusion?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never mind...they moved it, LOL! Engineers are known for poor documentation...here's where they hid it on this particular model:

View attachment 52892
Does this setting work properly in your case? I have the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV and the filter for Human catches cats and deer as well. Hoping for a firmware update but haven’t seen any yet. I would argue that humans have two legs and the others four, but Dahua/my camera seems to disagree.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this setting work properly in your case? I have the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV and the filter for Human catches cats and deer as well. Hoping for a firmware update but haven’t seen any yet. I would argue that humans have two legs and the others four, but Dahua/my camera seems to disagree.
Well, now that I finally figured out that the setting is not in Setting > Event > Smart Motion Detection per the manual (my fault for reading it) I haven't had an opportunity to fully test it. Although, so far I'm impressed with the vehicle detection. I need more time to play with it before I can come to a conclusion. I'm using the IVS with Blue Iris 5 so it's more complicated as to exactly how they might work optimally to share responsibility (if possible). My goal is for the Dahau IVS to send an alert to BI5 for purposes of setting alert notifications and clips in BI5 but also to use some of the zone detect stuff in BI5 to catch other things. I'm really not sure I understand why the BI5 developers have skipped around the idea of providing trip wires as a minimum then more sophisticated kinds of IVS in the future. I'm not satisfied with the results of BI triggers given the effort which is the opposite of everyone who says BI triggers are awesome you just need to do a better job of setting them up but no one offers a detail tutorial other than HomeTech Video. For me, clouds, headlights, lightning, trees and shadows make for very complicated and time consuming effort.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there currently a better 4mp starlight fixed lens camera than the IPC-T5442TM-AS ?
Was thinking of purchasing it from here on Amazon.
There probably is a better 4MP cam but perhaps not for the money. Your link is for the 2.8mm version...there's a 3.6mm version available too which may give you a better "magnfied" view but a slightly less wide field of view. I can tell you that I'm impressed with this cam's ability to capture light. It works so well the cam stays in color mode a lot longer before switching to IR night mode versus other cams. And, I feel the IR lighting is better as it seems to be better scattered IR instead of a spot IR. FWIW.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dseg42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There probably is a better 4MP cam but perhaps not for the money. Your link is for the 2.8mm version...there's a 3.6mm version available too which may give you a better "magnfied" view but a slightly less wide field of view. I can tell you that I'm impressed with this cam's ability to capture light. It works so well the cam stays in color mode a lot longer before switching to IR night mode versus other cams. And, I feel the IR lighting is better as it seems to be better scattered IR instead of a spot IR. FWIW.
Thanks. I actually have a few of the IPC-T5442TM-AS and just wanted to make sure something better didn't come out already.
I also enjoy the wider view angle, once I have it on the big screen, don't feel like I need the magnified view.

Reaction score
I'm thinking about purchasing one IPC-T5442TM-AS. Only thing that makes me think about it is the fixed aperture type. As far as I can see the 5231 has a variable aperture. Is this a big difference, especially if the sun is shining directly towards the cam (could happen in my mounting location in some months)?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd like to hear from anybody getting good IVS results with firmware V2.800.0000000.10.R . Mine doesn't work worth a hoot. It trips only with a person walking into an intrusion area or tripwire. All sorts of animals as large as dogs and cats don't trip it, while all my other cameras pick up everything down to small birds. I'm thinking it's either that the object detection is just plain broken, or that maybe the "Human" filter is permanently turned on. If it's working better for somebody else I'd like to compare notes on the configuration settings.

gln2

n3wb
Reaction score
Did the .10 firmware update.
Big plus for me is that the cam's email notifications now work! I never could get the cam to connect to either Yahoo or Gmail's smtp servers prior to this update.
Big negative: Cam's pw field will not accept a Win paste command. I have a long random pw and must now manually type it in. (Bigger negative: Lastpass can not do an autofill but that was true under any firmware.)

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone compared this to the Hikvision 4MP ColorVu yet?

In another thread, maybe the in the Hikvision section, Andy thinks the ColorVu is better for 24/7 colour.