Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol, upgrade on the go :p

I have 13 cams so far. Ordered 2 more. 2 x T5442tm-AS. Will replace a couple front yard cams. Geez... this gets spendy month after month :) I remember when I thought 4 would suffice.
Still hoping for a quality workable no fuss POE hardwired Dahua doorbell camera someday....

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have read half of this thread tonight and am now have a question.

My first 2 x colour photo's attached is a 5231 which I chose to cope with our relatively low light room.

They show NO table light and ALL table lights on situations.

When we are busy, it is obviously much brighter. However we often only have a couple of tables playing and low light remains.

a) Is there any reason to choose this new camera within an indoor situation over the existing 5231?
b) And do you guys think either 5431, 5631 or 5831 produce quality results in my situation pictured where I show the minimum light ever in place?

Just for your interest I also show you my 5231's in a group shot. The 2 lower camera's are total darkness, the bottom left camera always amazes me as you could not see your hand in front of your face in that room.

Snooker Background Light Only.jpg

Full Light.jpg

Pool Room Minimum Light.jpgClosed B&W Pictures.jpg

Last edited:

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you guys thing that the AI motion detection is better then the one BI detection ?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you guys thing that the AI motion detection is better then the one BI detection ?
It's not always which one is "better". BI detection uses computer processing power and off-loading it to the camera frees up those resources. If you are running a low powered machine, or have a lot of cameras, it could make a big difference.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's not always which one is "better". BI detection uses computer processing power and off-loading it to the camera frees up those resources. If you are running a low powered machine, or have a lot of cameras, it could make a big difference.
Processing power is not issue here.
However, Seems like the "AI" can set to ignore people or cars, while BI cannot as far as I know

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
However, Seems like the "AI" can set to ignore people or cars, while BI cannot as far as I know
I haven't seen on the camera where you can set it to ignore people or cars. What I've seen is the opposite -- there's an option to only trigger an IVS rule if the object is identified as a person and/or car.

Out of the box, Blue Iris doesn't have any AI. There's a monthly subscription cloud service that integrates natively and can identify people/cars, and there's a project someone is hosting here (like below) that uses a free local AI tool that can scan BI alert photos for a people, cars, bicycles, etc.

I have two 5442s and I use their built-in AI (set for people and cars) instead of Blue Iris motion detection. For my other cameras, I use Blue Iris motion detection. I'm very interested in the project above, just haven't had time to play with it yet.

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been following this thread on and off recently as I was looking for a varifocal cam in turret form for my front drive and came across this as a possible upgrade/alternative to the 5231. I can live with the fixed lens but initially there were some firmware related issues which it looks like a new firmware update has resolved but possibly not all issues. Are there any major issues with this camera I need to know about before I make a decision?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got the camera recently from Andy, Great service as always. and damn this is a tiny camera !
now, I got some problem I can't figure out, I'm using BI to get static image for telegram notification.

The image i'm getting is very blurred.
1579123474956.png

1579123506995.png

EDIT: All my 2231 are configured with VBR Quality 5 and max 3072. I now saw that this setting on 5442 give that bad quality, while changing to CBR and bitrate 3072 kind of fix the issue.
What should be my settings ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have received 2 of these from Andy today (cheers Andy) - one thing I've noticed is that if I select h265, 25fps and max bit rate - the fps fluctuates around 21 - 23 with an I-frame interval between 0.75 and 0.90. - however, if I drop the bitrate down to a limit of 2048, then the fps is a solid 25 with 1.00 I frame interval - however the reported rate is only 250 kbps on bi, vs 1000 kbps with the prior settings?

I'm not too sure whether to use h264 or h265 long term - cpu utilisation is very similar (I plan to record at 20fps long term), although I thought this a bit strange, although I expect there's a perfectly sensible explanation?

Screenshot of it on test in one of the darker areas I have a camera - currently set for full time day profile, auto exposure (30% exposure compensation) and tweaked picture settings (SC below). - I may experiment further with the settings when it's installed at its permanentlocation. Screenshot_20200115-230650_Chrome.jpg

Test cam 2020-01-15 11.03.12.378 PM.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
HD space is cheap. I like to get the the best possible image I can. The camera will actually a allow a higher rate than 8192. Unless you have an equipment or bandwidth restriction, why not ?

Your image looks great but very soft. Why turn sharpness down so much, and Auto exp at night?? What does it look like with a person walking by at night? Any motion blur?

at 1/60 exposure
DVR_DriveWest_main_20191113175941_@1.jpg

at 1/120 exposure where I keep it at night
DVR_DriveWest_main_20200115185119_1-120.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
HD space is cheap. I like to get the the best possible image I can. The camera will actually a low a higher rate than 8192. Unless you have an equipment or bandwidth restriction, why not ?

Your image looks great but very soft. Why turn sharpness down so much, and Auto exp at night?? What does it look like with a person walking by at night? Any motion blur?

at 1/60 exposure
View attachment 53954

at 1/120 exposure where I keep it at night
View attachment 53955
Your nighttime image looks great - quite a well lit scene I guess with the streetlights? although there looks to be really good dynamic range - are you using any additional settings there?

i brought the sharpness down whilst playing around in the daylight -the bushes by the path looked kinda grainy before, I’ll probably bring this up a little more however

the reason I’m currently in auto exp for night is because I wanted to stay in forced colour mode, although when selecting the Day/night option in the settings, this is greyed out? it doesn’t seem to switch profiles automatically otherwise (I have seen the custom program to set this, I may look into it more)

the camera deals with direct sunlight at this time of year for around 45 mins in the evening in this position, so I wanted to use auto exp for this to keep on top of it. - also at night I’m having trouble with a powerful spotlight that comes on when someone walks into shot - it is resulting in blowing out faces until they are past the direct light and almost too close to the cam for a good shot

also, there is some motion blur if the target moves very quickly, should I be able to avoid this?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh yes I have a 3400 lumen flood that is motion activated also.

No backlight used, WDR just creates more motion blur at night. To reduce motion blur you typically will need to run at least 1/60 or even 1/120 or higher exposure at night in color. 1/120 works well for me with the flood light kicking on. Anything lower than that the scene gets blown out as you say.

To keep in forced color I use the “Schedule” profile.

Reaction score
For refrance - this is set at 1/60 - however I have to use quite a bit of gain to bring the image up

FE32FCD8-95F7-41B4-A6BE-2C98977158F7.jpeg83789DEC-35FF-4275-80FF-D05FBBCA833C.png