Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're referring to the "1" being from the "key" listing inthe BI console, that actually represents the ratio of frame and iframe rates. Since it's "1" it indicates BI is seeing an iframe for whatever the displayed frame rate is, which is exactly what is needed.
Thanks for the response. Yes, that is what I'm referring too....but the sub-stream from the varifocal is "1" and the non-varifocal is "0.5" and asking if this was normal, given that they are the similar model type.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
No, that's not normal. I have a couple of 5442 varifocals and a couple of fixed focals. They all maintain a key frame rate of "1". Have a look at firmware versions for the problematic camera and, if there's a problem check the 5442 firmware thread for an update. If there's no difference try a "factory reset" then reconfigure the video streams, along with any other changes you make. Also be aware that sometimes, especially depending on firmware versions, you need to set everything using Internet Explorer rather than Edge, Chrome, Brave, yada, yada.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes, that is what I'm referring too....but the sub-stream from the varifocal is "1" and the non-varifocal is "0.5" and asking if this was normal, given that they are the similar model type.
The 1 means that in the camera itself the FPS and iframes match (like both 15).

The 0.5 means the iframes is double the FPS ( like 30 iframes and 15 FPS).

Since yours is set correctly but showing different in BI, then there is an issue somewhere, or just a glitch.

All of my Andy cams show as a 1.0 for example.

So the things to consider include:
  • Power to camera - many times a power issue is found because BI is acting funny on things like this. I would try that pesky camera on a POE switch all by itself. Then reboot the camera and restart the camera in BI.
  • Are you using Internet Explorer - these cams are sensitive to the browser.
  • If using Explorer - hit save 3 times and then the refresh button.
  • Try lower the bitrate of the substream.
If none of that works, try a factory reset as something is glitchy.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Dahua cameras as well. Why is it that every time I set the FPS for the substream to 5 FPS VBR, it resets it to 30 FPS within a day? It's maxing out my CPUs with 12 having this problem. Could Blue Iris be resetting my changes back to 30fps substream default?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have Dahua cameras as well. Why is it that every time I set the FPS for the substream to 5 FPS VBR, it resets it to 30 FPS within a day? It's maxing out my CPUs with 12 having this problem. Could Blue Iris be resetting my changes back to 30fps substream default?
While it is not supposed to, some of us have seen quirky things like this happen.

Several of us have an issue where BI will turn on SMD and MD on the camera, but that can be taken care of by taking the zones off and changing the sensitivity. Others have an issue with it resetting bitrate, but we can take care of that with periodic API calls to set the bitrate. First I recall seeing it change FPS, but anything is possible.

You could try configuring it in Explorer if you haven't and see if it holds that way. Maybe also try creating a user only account without admin privileges and using that user and PW in BI and see if that stops it. Probably won't but worth a try. Other option would be to set up a Task Schedule to periodically send an API to set the FPS.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Wittaj and Sebatian, :clap::clap:

put cam on separate POE switch - no joy,
delete and re-create in BI - no joy,
re-loaded firmware with IE - no joy,
factory reset and re-did setup - working :headbang:

Was bouncing around 0.96-0.98 but after about 5 minutes, it settled in on 1.0.

Tfire81

n3wb
Reaction score
We're considering installing a couple of the IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras in out front yard. I'm looking to install under our soffit which runs at a slanted 45 degree angle. Would this camera need a special kind of mounting bracket or would the stock mounting bracket work with for kind of application.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have multiple of these cameras installed on steep, approximately 45 degree angle soffits. They work fine. One pointer however that I learned the hard way. Place the cameras closer to the edge of the soffit, not the house. I put mine too close to the house thinking about minimizing rain. In that location however, when you rotate the camera to have a level picture, it will be blocked too much by the soffit. It also helps to use a Dahua junction box to move the camera a little lower and miss the soffit.

Reaction score
We're considering installing a couple of the IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras in out front yard. I'm looking to install under our soffit which runs at a slanted 45 degree angle. Would this camera need a special kind of mounting bracket or would the stock mounting bracket work with for kind of application.
This is how I mounted 7 of mine. Mounted on back of fascia board.

Attachments

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I figured out why, the three screws that hold the metal housing on the camera ball itself need to be close to being perfectly aligned. If done too quickly at the factory, may make the ball loose on some units (because there is noticeable offset between both casings of the housing if not "properly" aligned) but not all. :rofl: We're talking about less than a millimeter here. These turrets are rock solid :D

Camera ball part not loose anymore, lol.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, that I can agree on, picture quality is sharper than the Vari-focal version, whereas the varifocal version is slightly softer. The fixed lens model also does better at low light. I think all of these factors depend on where you are mounting these models. If you increase the focal length, you would want to make sure there is plenty of distance between focus area and where the camera is mounted otherwise overall picture may look slightly out of focus :)

I’ve also found that the fixed lens perform slightly better than the vari version, anybody else notice this?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This mainly because of the different aperture they use to make the cams with best pics.

0.003Lux@F1.8 for 2.7mm-12mm
0.002 Lux@F1.6 for fixed lens

Lower f/stops give more exposure because they represent the larger apertures, while the higher f/stops give less exposure because they represent smaller apertures. This may seem a little contradictory at first but will become clearer as you take pictures at varying f/stops.

Last edited: