Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A 4K turret with good ir/lowlight is going to be THE winner. When will it arrive??

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Wildcat_1.Thanks. will almost certainly get a B5442. Such a shame there is no verifocal 5442 turret :-(
Agree on the turret and hope we get more varifocal options across the model lines in 4MP 4K but as others have suggested and I mention in my review, over time you get used to the FOV and corresponding lens size you need for a particular area which allows fixed lenses to become a bit more useful even if you unfortunately lose the flexibility of being able to adjust FOV should the situation change with a varifocal.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree on the turret and hope we get more varifocal options across the model lines in 4MP 4K but as others have suggested and I mention in my review, over time you get used to the FOV and corresponding lens size you need for a particular area which allows fixed lenses to become a bit more useful even if you unfortunately lose the flexibility of being able to adjust FOV should the situation change with a varifocal.
I think I'm sold on this bullet now anyway.

It looks perfect to replace a tired 2032 hikvision on my bay window!

Perfect height for facial Id too.

Give me a chance to utilise the 2032 somewhere else.

Although I'm running out of room to fit more cameras.
Half the street thinks I'm mad

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I'm sold on this bullet now anyway.

It looks perfect to replace a tired 2032 hikvision on my bay window!

Perfect height for facial Id too.

Give me a chance to utilise the 2032 somewhere else.

Although I'm running out of room to fit more cameras.
Half the street thinks I'm mad
what's your height? I've got a front porch 5231 mounted probably too high and am wondering what to replace it with to get better coverage or usefulness...was considering that "boob cam"...the double starlight one...thoughts?

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
what's your height? I've got a front porch 5231 mounted probably too high and am wondering what to replace it with to get better coverage or usefulness...was considering that "boob cam"...the double starlight one...thoughts?
I'd say it's about 8 feet just out of reach from arms (unless your 6feet odd).

But then again I'm not to worried about that location in terms of someone getting to it because if anybody tries that there's another 3 that would pick them up as well.

I think with camera placement it's all about being clever.

I've got 2 cameras mounted higher up which are great for overviews to supplement the lower more area specific target cameras.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All, quick update. Still loving this camera and definitely think it can replace (with caveats mentioned before) the 5231 at this point. I am still having issues with Google and my YouTube account but will continue pushing until I get the vids uploaded. In the meantime I will upload some more daytime pics I took a week ago so you can see how it looks there.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the great review, cant wait to see some youtube samples

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thinking...Wanting...
I'm looking to place this camera mounted up about 10' high on my back yard shop. It would be used to capture and illuminate my target/front yard and vehicles about 100' away, straight out in front of it.
Pretty dark rural area, a few dim lights around, but nothing within 40' of the objects.
I'd be digging in 150' of pipe and cat5e cable, with an option to power it either by my poe switch near my blue iris computer or at its mounted position using a plug in power adapter. (comment?)
I have a fairly new 5231e-ze turret that points out from the other way somewhat, and it lights the area up like a xmas tree.
Would this cam be suitable? I also have noticed that (empire tech) ali express is also 20 dollars cheaper than amazon (loryta). ( ali has an android app, is this a good idea to use)?
I also have an option to place an i.r. illuminator up a big tree about 30' away from the target area, but I have never used one of these before.
Thanks for this great review, and the reviews to come.
looking forward to some advice on this.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Amazon price higher because of the local amazon shipping cost, stock cost, and higher transaction cost, and better return policy than Alibaba, so that is why higher cost.
POE cameras, use poe switch to power it always the best choice. IPC-HDW5231R-ZE right now still a good model, but if you want to add some newer camera, the 4mp Starlight is a new choice. This bullet is working great ,we get good feedback.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

As promised, some more daytime captures from just over a week ago while I CONTINUE (yes its frustrating) to work on the Youtube Account issues.

This was a particular challenging afternoon from the lighting perspective. Usually I run higher shutter ranges and a small WDR to balance the porch shadows. On this particular afternoon it started overcast then the sun came out so I wanted to capture a couple of different settings to show how the cam captured individuals within a scene especially when playing with gain, WDR, shutter speed, NR and gamma.

While HLC can help on any cam when then light is challenging (super bright) it kills the shadows so in a porch setting is not always the best to use. I did use SSA as well for testing and included those to show default which produces quite an extreme image vs balancing through dialing in contrast, saturation etc to make it more usable. SSA is certainly not the best on a day like as it can cause chromatic aberrations (color fringe) and other image dissatisfiers but can be dialed back a little as I show here. Nice to have the option either way and including it for completeness.

On all of these, if a setting is not mentioned then it was left at default.

B5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0 to 50, NR = Off, Gamma = 40

5442 - Shutter=1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain=0 to 50 NR=OFF Gamma=40 #1.jpg 5442 - Shutter=1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain=0 to 50 NR=OFF Gamma=40 #2.jpg

B5442 - Shutter = 1-250, Auto Iris = On, Gain = 0, NR = 20, WDR = 1, Gamma = 40

5442 - Shutter=1-250 Auto Iris=On Gain=0 NR=20 WDR=1 Gamma=40 #1.jpg 5442 - Shutter=1-250 Auto Iris=On Gain=0 NR=20 WDR=1 Gamma=40 #2.jpg 5442 - Shutter=1-250 Auto Iris=On Gain=0 NR=20 WDR=1 Gamma=40 #3.jpg

B5442 - Shutter = 1-250, Auto Iris = On, Gain = 0, NR = Off, WDR = 1

5442 - Shutter=1-250 Gain=0 Auto Iris=On NR=OFF WDR=1 #1.jpg 5442 - Shutter=1-250 Gain=0 Auto Iris=On NR=OFF WDR=1 #2.jpg

B5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - ORIGINAL IMAGE (Camera Picture Controls Left to Default)

5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - Default #1.jpg 5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - Default #2.jpg

B5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - DIALED IN IMAGE (Using Picture Control Settings For Contrast & Saturation)

5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - Dialed In #1.jpg 5442 - Shutter = 1-2000, Auto Iris = Off, Gain = 0, NR = 16, SSA = On, Gamma = 40 - Dialed In #2.jpg

Reaction score
Wildcat have you done any testing at night ? I’m very interested in this camera and will be more than likely ordering threw Empiretecandy’s amazon store .
And it ships to Canada thankfully

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Wildcat have you done any testing at night ? I’m very interested in this camera and will be more than likely ordering threw Empiretecandy’s amazon store .
And it ships to Canada thankfully
@MajorTendonitis yes please go back to my first couple of posts and you will see the night comparisons there against not just the 2831 (pg1) but also the 5231 (pg2). Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t notice the other pages. Great review btw.
I think I need motion lights installed just to help with light . Not sure if Dahua has an affordable option for low light .

Ok I just went threw Dahua website and see there’s a Starlight plus. Maybe I’ll contact Empiretecandy and see if it’s available also . Not sure if there’s any noticeable improvement in really dark situations though .

4MP IR Starlight+ Vari-focal ePoE Bullet Camera – Dahua North America

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@MajorTendonitis that is the same cam except you are looking at the US site. This one I review has the Starlight+ just remember that this is Andy’s (@EMPIRETECANDY) OEM model number here so that is the one to use (B5442) when you reach out to him.

Sorry I didn’t notice the other pages. Great review btw.
I think I need motion lights installed just to help with light . Not sure if Dahua has an affordable option for low light .

Ok I just went threw Dahua website and see there’s a Starlight plus. Maybe I’ll contact Empiretecandy and see if it’s available also . Not sure if there’s any noticeable improvement in really dark situations though .

4MP IR Starlight+ Vari-focal ePoE Bullet Camera – Dahua North America

Jiri

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @EMPIRETECANDY for the camera, another happy purchaser. And thank you @Wildcat_1 for the review.

I have BI installed in the demo version and can also login to the camera through browser. I am trying to determine the following two numbers (taken from IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk):

SWM = Software adjustment range maximum number.
CS = Current setting number of the software adjustment range slider.

But I cannot find these in either BI, the camera web interface or (at least for the first one) in the spec sheet.

Can you please advise as to where to find these?

Jiri

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you @EMPIRETECANDY for the camera, another happy purchaser. And thank you @Wildcat_1 for the review.

I have BI installed in the demo version and can also login to the camera through browser. I am trying to determine the following two numbers (taken from IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes | IP Cam Talk):

SWM = Software adjustment range maximum number.
CS = Current setting number of the software adjustment range slider.

But I cannot find these in either BI, the camera web interface or (at least for the first one) in the spec sheet.

Can you please advise as to where to find these?
Ok, after looking around and not finding anything, I went back to the web interface and turns out you just need to hover over the Zoom slider on the Camera > Conditions > Zoom and Focus page to get the current zoom level.

I have another question, is there a place to download fresh firmware from? Dahuawiki does not seem to be up to date. When I try to use System > Upgrade > Online Upgrade > Manual Check from Web UI, I get Check time is out error dialog.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, after looking around and not finding anything, I went back to the web interface and turns out you just need to hover over the Zoom slider on the Camera > Conditions > Zoom and Focus page to get the current zoom level.

I have another question, is there a place to download fresh firmware from? Dahuawiki does not seem to be up to date. When I try to use System > Upgrade > Online Upgrade > Manual Check from Web UI, I get Check time is out error dialog.
If you just received the cam, it most likely has the latest firmware already.
Dahua's Ck firmware from the GUI has never worked.
When new firmware comes along, @EMPIRETECANDY can normally provide it in the vendors section.