Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Only issue is that you’d need to drill a 1/2” hole to push the cables back, at least with a junction box a 1/4” would suffice all depending on the number of wires passed

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of doubt that there will be a smaller varifocal turret anytime soon, but who knows.

This form factor came out a few years ago. Dahua has gone on to shrink the size of their fixed-lens turrets in newer camera series, but those series don’t have a varifocal turret model at all. :(

I found a siding mount block with barely enough room behind it to hide the camera pigtail. I liked its look better than the normal junction box.

Arlington Industries 8131-1 8131 Wall Plate, 1/4-inch or 5/16-inch Siding & Shingles, White Arlington Industries 8131-1 8131 Wall Plate, 1/4-inch or 5/16-inch Siding & Shingles, White - Electrical Boxes - Amazon.com
Thanks for the tip and the images! I don't have siding (have brick) but while looking at your link to the wall plate you used I saw another FLAT wall plate from Arlington, the 8161, that someone could use under a soffit or on a flat surface. Although they cost as much as a box, someone may prefer the slimmer profile, so I'm passing this info along.

My only concern (question) would be: I wonder if there's enough room to place the *WEATHER-PROOFED pigtail behind the plate? If not, surely the *WEATHER-PROOFED pigtail would fit between the plate and the underside of the camera. I personally prefer to drill a 1/4 to 3/8" hole, just big enough for the CAT-5e/6. and then crimp on the RJ-45.

*WEATHER-PROOFED: Before the pigtail is connected I would want to use dielectric grease on the RJ-45, plug it in, test then wrap the connector (going 1" past both ends of the connector and onto the cable) with a layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape (coax seal) then wrap that tightly with a layer of 3M 33+ electrical tape (to assist/speed up the curing of the rubber tape). That process will make the pigtail bigger by as much as 1/4" overall and so that would have to be a consideration.

arlington_indust_8161_small.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IPVM Camera Calculator V3 makes that pretty easy to do, even without camera experience. Using that tool, here's what the angles of the three fixed-lens 5442 models look like on the front side of my house. There's a ton more useful info on that page that I didn't screenshot (like the PPF value, which is recommended to be 100+ to ID someone).

The only slightly confusing thing about that tool is that you need to add the Dahua model number for the 5442 (IPC-HDW5442TM-AS) in order to see all of the lens options (which are listed as degrees (113', 89', 56') instead of mm (2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm). If you enter Andy's model number for the 5442 (IPC-T5442TM), they only have the 2.8mm (113') lens in their database.

2.8mm
View attachment 50729

3.6mm
View attachment 50730

6mm
View attachment 50731
I've most if not all of my 5231's zoomed all the way out for maximum angle. Perhaps as I add more cameras in the future I'd zoom a few in for better detail ... that said, would there be any notable difference between a 6mm camera and a vari-focal zoomed into the same 6mm shot?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that said, would there be any notable difference between a 6mm camera and a vari-focal zoomed into the same 6mm shot?
IIRC, if the cameras use the same image sensor, the differences should be minimal. Sometimes there's a small minimum illumination lux difference between varifocal and fixed models, but I haven't seen that called out much one way or the other.

I think that If the image sensors are different (i.e. a 6mm 2MP 1/2.8" vs a 6mm 4MP 1/1.8"), the width of the image may be different.

aem9999

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that If the image sensors are different (i.e. a 6mm 2MP 1/2.8" vs a 6mm 4MP 1/1.8"), the width of the image may be different.
A 1/2.8" sensor has a significantly different chop factor than a 1/1.8" sensor, correct? I believe the 1/2.8 is ~6.67 while the 1/1.8 is ~4.84. So with the same lens wouldn't the 1/2.8" sensor have a longer effective focal length? Or did I get that backwards?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A 1/2.8" sensor has a significantly different chop factor than a 1/1.8" sensor, correct? I believe the 1/2.8 is ~6.67 while the 1/1.8 is ~4.84. So with the same lens wouldn't the 1/2.8" sensor have a longer effective focal length? Or did I get that backwards?
Wonder if @wopi82 can comment, he's a wizard with stuff like that!

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IIRC, if the cameras use the same image sensor, the differences should be minimal. Sometimes there's a small minimum illumination lux difference between varifocal and fixed models, but I haven't seen that called out much one way or the other.

Thanks for the reply ... I'd read somebody saying they were going to get a single vari-focal to determine what focal range cameras they should buy for various locations so I'm trying to understand why somebody would just get all vari-focal and have whatever shot you want. I don't think the cost is much of a factor so just trying to understand if there were some other advantage of better quality photo without vari-focal...

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply ... I'd read somebody saying they were going to get a single vari-focal to determine what focal range cameras they should buy for various locations so I'm trying to understand why somebody would just get all vari-focal and have whatever shot you want. I don't think the cost is much of a factor so just trying to understand if there were some other advantage of better quality photo without vari-focal...
That is a good question, it is possible to do it that way. The price for an overview camera is just a little cheaper than the varifocal models, which may play a factor in peoples decisions. I have learned that people want the best picture, the best camera, the best everything, but they only want to pay 10 dollars.

wopi82

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the 1/2.8 is ~6.67 while the 1/1.8 is ~4.84.
That's right. You have given very precise values. Due to these diferences the 5442TM-ASE has 113 degrees h-fov for 2.8mm lens, while 5241TM-ASE has 106 degrees for the same lens. Actually, when I calculated fov difference for both sensors, it came out bigger than Dahua is claiming. If one is giving 113 deg. fov than the other should give arround 97 deg. fov.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I tested the fixed 3.6mm ASE (which I have two of covering my driveway) and VF 5442 bullets side by side and the fixed is clearly brighter with default settings FYI. Nothing wrong with the VF mind you, but the fixed was clearly brighter.

onealpha

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought 4 IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera's from Andy back in Jan 2018. I am really happy with these and am looking to add 4 more camera's. I was thinking about purchasing these, but I dont see them in stock on Amazon. Any other recommendations?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tested the fixed 3.6mm ASE (which I have two of covering my driveway) and VF 5442 bullets side by side and the fixed is clearly brighter with default settings FYI. Nothing wrong with the VF mind you, but the fixed was clearly brighter.
With the fixed lens, is it correct that you cannot zoom in further and gain additional clarity and that any zoom is just optical zoom?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Close, any zooming you do with a fixed lens is Digital zoom, which will pixelate and degrade the amge
Yes, that's what I meant to say ... Optical is actually the Vari-focal which does allow for enhanced imagery whereas Digital only makes the tiny pixels larger and loses clarity as it's increased.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought 4 IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera's from Andy back in Jan 2018. I am really happy with these and am looking to add 4 more camera's. I was thinking about purchasing these, but I dont see them in stock on Amazon. Any other recommendations?

Wait, or look for the 2231 series which are pretty close. Inventory from China IMHO is going to take a month or two to catch back up...... assuming things dont go a lot worse.

Last edited:

Riclyo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ordered my 2231 Monday 2/24
Payed Tuesday
DHL says it should be here Monday 3/1
I've ordered my last 4 cameras from Andy shipped directly from China with the only issue being from DHL delaying 1 of 2 packages 1 extra day.
I'd rather go right to Andy than another set of hands to get something from him.

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm I didn’t think about cleaning. I have two Ptz cameras from Andy arriving Tuesday according to my tracking number. Thanks for idea to sanitize them guys.
SD22204T-GN
sd1a203t-gn