Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all.
One of my 12 Cameras has died (all IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball), got it from EmpireTech. It may have gotten fried by water, I opend the case to dry it out by still not powering on.

In looking for a replacement should I order the same camera model, or is there a better starlight-ish camera (good in low light, better "real" resolution, good features)?

Thanks in advance!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In looking for a replacement should I order the same camera model, or is there a better starlight-ish camera (good in low light, better "real" resolution, good features)?
If you don't need a varifocal turret immediately, the 5442 models have the same great min. illumination spec as this camera (0.002 lux) but are 4MP. There's a 5442 varifocal turret model coming out in the next few weeks, IIRC.

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't need a varifocal turret immediately, the 5442 models have the same great min. illumination spec as this camera (0.002 lux) but are 4MP. There's a 5442 varifocal turret model coming out in the next few weeks, IIRC.

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+
Thank you!
1. For someone that is medium technical, what's difference of the 3.6MM vs 6MM versions of the T5442TM-AS?
2. Trying to read up on varifocal turret, what that truly good for?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
1. The 6mm will give you more of a "close up" versus the 3.6mm. The lens is a function of what you are using the camera for in each, specific, application and location. Look at the IPVM camera calculator referenced in the Cliff Notes, in the Wiki at the top of the page. It will allow you to simulate each lens size so you can see what the difference would be in your case.

2. The varifocal allows you to buy a camera without specifying a lens, like 3.6mm or 6mm, and set the lens size to suit the application when the camera is installed. Keep in mind that while a varifocal will "zoom" it is not, truly, a zoom camera and should be set and left at one focal length, only being changed if needs change or the camera is moved to another location. A varifocal is very handy to "fine tune" the lens size so the framing of the video is exactly what you need.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. The 6mm will give you more of a "close up" versus the 3.6mm. The lens is a function of what you are using the camera for in each, specific, application and location. Look at the IPVM camera calculator referenced in the Cliff Notes, in the Wiki at the top of the page. It will allow you to simulate each lens size so you can see what the difference would be in your case.

2. The varifocal allows you to buy a camera without specifying a lens, like 3.6mm or 6mm, and set the lens size to suit the application when the camera is installed. Keep in mind that while a varifocal will "zoom" it is not, truly, a zoom camera and should be set and left at one focal length, only being changed if needs change or the camera is moved to another location. A varifocal is very handy to "fine tune" the lens size so the framing of the video is exactly what you need.
Appreciate the reply! So these 2231's I have now are varifocal so I set them once on install and don't worry about it. I should wait for the 5442 varifocals then I guess.

Reaction score
Appreciate the reply! So these 2231's I have now are varifocal so I set them once on install and don't worry about it. I should wait for the 5442 varifocals then I guess.
Correct set them to the desired view and That's it. I don't think the 5442 has a varifocal lens. You can use your 2231's to decide which size lens to get for the 5442. 2.8,4,or 6 mm lens.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct set them to the desired view and That's it. I don't think the 5442 has a varifocal lens. You can use your 2231's to decide which size lens to get for the 5442. 2.8,4,or 6 mm lens.
Oh good point. My zoom on many say 300-400, so not sure how that translates :)

nites07

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all.
One of my 12 Cameras has died (all IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball), got it from EmpireTech. It may have gotten fried by water, I opend the case to dry it out by still not powering on.

Thanks in advance!
I thought mine died two weeks ago. It happened when my dad was pressure washing the deck and I think some water leaked into the copper contacts where the R45 jack meets the ethernet cable. I finally got it to work after hitting the reset button which is located under a small lip/panel that can be taken off with a screw.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought mine died two weeks ago. It happened when my dad was pressure washing the deck and I think some water leaked into the copper contacts where the R45 jack meets the ethernet cable. I finally got it to work after hitting the reset button which is located under a small lip/panel that can be taken off with a screw.
Not properly waterproofed when installed.
Dab of Di-electric grease in the female rj45 connector, before inserting the male plug. then wrap the entire connection with "coax seal". Then wrap tightly over that with 3m 33+ electric tape.

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nites07 hmmm. I took apart the camera housing. so where is that reset button?

camera2.png

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Look at the first page of this thread.
You didn't need to completely disassemble it.
Wait, I don't have a panel on the camera like in this thread's spec sheet.

When I first bought 12 cameras, I followed the link to the Amazon store of Empire Tech @EMPIRETECANDY thinking I bought these same cameras in this thread, but now it looks like I have something different now.

This is what I bought 12 of previously:
EmpireTech IPC-HDW2231R-ZS IP Camera 2MP Starlight IR Eyeball Network Camera English Version

What's the "R" designation in HDW2231R-ZS and difference from this thread's IPC-T2231T-ZS

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, I don't have a panel on the camera like in this thread's spec sheet.
I think this thread is for the newer Series 2 model of the 2231s. Wonder if yours are the original model?

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think this thread is for the newer Series 2 model of the 2231s. Wonder if yours are the original model?
Oh shoot, that was not my intention. I bought from Andy on Amazon but may have missed the model letter change

kbgator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All - Do we know if they are close on the Starlight 4K varifocal turret yet?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe Andy has shipped units for review as of yesterday, so expect to see reviews within the next two weeks.