Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal from @EMPIRETECANDY
4MP WDR Turret Varifocal Network Camera

Review unit courtesy of Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Andy's ipcamtalk store: link
Andy's AliExpress store: link
Andy's Amazon store: link

Price Approximately US $200.00 shipped.
Purchase from Amazon here: Link
Andy's Aliexpress store here: Link

Update 11/23/20 Black version of this cam is available: Black version

(prices and links valid 7/21/20)

Please try to keep this thread on topic

Camera

Image Sensor:1/1.8”4Megapixel progressive CMOS
Max. Resolution:2688 (H) × 1520 (V)
RAM/ROM:1GB/128 MB
Scanning System: Progressive
Electronic Shutter Speed:Auto/Manual 1/3 s–1/100,000 s
Minimum Illumination:0.003Lux@F1.8
S/N Ratio:>56 dB
Illumination Distance:40 m (131.2 ft) (IR LED)
Illuminator On/Off Control:Auto/Manual
Illuminator Number:2 (IR LED)

Lens
Lens Type:Motorized vari-focal
Mount Type:φ14
Focal Length:2.7 mm-12 mm
Max. Aperture:F1.8
Field of View:Horizontal: 114°–47°, Vertical: 62°–26°, Diagonal: 136°–54°
Iris Type:Auto
Close Focus Distance:1.2 m (3.9 ft)

Smart Event
IVSAbandoned object; missing object
Heat MapYes
Professional, intelligent
IVS (Perimeter Protection)Tripwire; intrusion; fast moving (the three functions support the classification and accurate detection of vehicle and human); loitering detection; people gathering; parking detection
Face DetectionFace detection; track; optimization; snapshot; report high quality picture; face enhancement; face exposure; face attribute extract, 6 attributes and 8 expressions: Gender, age, glasses, expressions (anger, calm, happiness, sadness, disgust, surprise, confusion and fear), mask, beard; face matting setting: face, single inch photo; three snapshot methods: real-time snapshot, optimization snapshot, quality priority; face angle filter; optimization time setting
People CountingSupport the counting of enter number, leave number, and pass number, and displaying and outputting yearly/monthly/weekly/daily reports.
Support the counting of number in area, and 4 rules configuration. Count number of people or stay time and link alarm.
Support queue management, and 4 rules configuration. Count number of people or stay time and link alarm
Intelligent SearchWork together with Smart NVR to perform refine intelligent search, event extraction and merging to event videos
Audio
Built-in MICYes
Audio CompressionG.711a; G.711Mu; G.726; AAC; G.723
Alarm
Alarm EventNo SD card; SD card full; SD card error; network disconnection; IP conflict; illegal access; motion detection; video tampering; defocus detection; scene changing; tripwire; intrusion; abandoned object; missing object; fast moving; parking detection; loitering detection; people gathering; audio detection; people counting; face detection; voltage detection; people counting in area; stay alarm; people No. exception detection, queue management
Full Spec Sheet:

Manuals:

IMG_20200708_165522.jpgIMG_20200708_165602.jpgIMG_20200708_165619.jpgIMG_20200708_165804.jpgIMG_20200708_165909.jpgIMG_20200708_165937.jpg

Everything works as advertised...even face detection and capture. IVS AI filters work. SMD works. SD card works.
Only thing is the IR light wash's out faces. I don't understand why Dahua continues to have this issue. This problem started about a year ago with the fixed lens 5442 turret.
Face Detect.png

All recorded and exported from Blue Iris.
All settings at factory defaults except time and channel name.
Be sure to choose 1440 resolution in the tube.

Be sure to check out @Wildcat_1 extensive review of the night time capabilities of this cam.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can someone explain "Close Focus Distance:1.2 m (3.9 ft)"? What is this value normally and when is it important?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns / All, I just tested the first FW aimed to resolve the IR washout at night on this cam (7/21 revision). Long story short, progress is being made and improvements are seen but further adjustments needed, reported findings back to @EMPIRETECANDY and Dahua. Link to my comparison video post of this FW HERE if interested

ArnonZ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have few different problems that I'm not sure if they are related to the IPC or coming from the NVR.
The IVS features used to work, together with face detection and SMD and with FR done by the NVR.
** the smart plan was set on IVS

Now, to get the SMD working with FR and FD ans IVS.... I had to disable FR and FD then I could enable the SMD and then re-enable FD and FR (did it according to the NVR's message/suggestion).
Once I did it, new NVR rules would not work and even rewriting the intrusion area of an existing rule did not work.
not matter if I was disabling the SMD and try it all from the start. would not work anymore with the particular cam.
I'm still waiting for the memory cards to arrive so I cannot really test the IVS directly from the IPC.
Another odd thing is that when I connect directly to the IPC to set the IVS from there (remember, with no SD card on the cams), I can see the "online" view and it's got about 5 minutes delay. it's not like it's saved on the SD card and I'm talking about connecting to the IPC directly.
Too many strange things

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Great news, the Smart IR is back. :headbang:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha, it better work :rofl:
Thanks for the update Andy. I think the ipcamtalk forum helped make this possible through you. Cheers :thumb:

Great news, the Smart IR is back. :headbang:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I've reviewed the videos sent by Dahua engineers (they sent to check that they were on the right track with regards to adjustments) and things do look promising. I'm glad through the videos we submitted they were able to see the same behavior on the 7/31 FW that we did. Specifically the videos focus on 2 scenarios, Auto Exposure (which I would never recommend at night) and 10ms which is 1/100 fixed and something I would recommend. In either case the AutoIR/SmartIR is now adjusting noticeably and quickly which is what is needed as I've mentioned in my testing. I have asked that they also test 1/60 (16.67ms) which is a staple for a number of individuals due to light as well as provide a rundown of all settings they used in their testing so I can compare too. As soon as I can get the test FW, will load, re-test and post updated videos. Thanks @EMPIRETECANDY and to the Dahua engineers we've been working with on this one. Very much appreciate the hard work and expediency of the test FW's they have produced to address this. The beauty of this FW being tested is that it could also be applied to the other 5xxx VOLT chipset cams so 5442 Vari, 5442 Fixed (IR version) and B5442, even 5241 for example.

The issues seen here with IR have also been seen and noted by a number of us on some of the other newer models (as @looney2ns has also pointed out) and are definitely based around what seems to be over adjustment of certain settings in FW for cam's across the portfolio. In other words that the AutoIR/SmartIR algorithm is dialed in for a specific set of cameras but then applied to FW for all cameras (except those in special model groups). This results in potentially great performance for some cams such as full color cams for example (that benefit from super bright image due to market segment they target) but not so much for the majority of others. Similarly the IR adjustment (cams ability to identify and dial up or down the IR strength) has been too slow and sometimes doesn't appear its adjusting at all where in at least what I've seen in the Dahua engineer videos seems to be much improved. Of course will hold final judgement once I get hold of the FW.

Will report back more as soon as I have FW in hands (expected next week) and can test.

HTH

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

I completed about 2 hours of testing on the latest 8-14 FW and posted my results in my thread HERE as I didn't want to hijack @looney2ns thread. I've included a 30 minute video with full timestamps so you can check out the different exposure vs lighting scenarios I tested against as you wish. Long story short, improvements seen in some areas (follow the configurations I post that are now the sweet spot in this FW) but still some work to be done on the FW to make it perfect as I detail in that post. In the right scene (IR + visible light) the FW does adjust noticeably quicker. Will let you read the rest on my post if interested and as always, feel free to reach out with any questions. I will be passing back my feedback from this testing to Dahua and @EMPIRETECANDY as work continues to see if we can gain further improvements in the next test release.

Thanks

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to note here as well that I've tested the SMD on these last 2 test releases and they do still have the issue of incorrect detection as @looney2ns also saw. In looking at the code it would appear that the last 2 test versions (7/31 & 8/14) are built off the 6/20 code which also had this issue hence it being inherited in these builds. Have reported this back as well to @EMPIRETECANDY and Dahua who are working on the SMD for next release. For reference the last known good version in my testing (for SMD) is 5/29's baseline algorithm so have suggested that as baseline to review and build off of.