Review of youtube video on Reolink RLK8-800D4 4K CCTV

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Review of low light image capture as shared by Geek Street on youtube.

Reolink RLK8-800D4 4K CCTV with NVR Unboxing and Setup BEST 4K CCTV System
Geek Street

Reolink RLK8-800D4 4K CCTV with NVR Unboxing and Setup BEST 4K CCTV System
PMZ camera check this review out

Starts about 29.27 into the video .. I am capturing on a 1080p youtube resolution, it is also posted at 2160p ... so do check the original youtube video if you want to see it, remember also youtube may degrade some of the quality.

Geek Street posts: "Night time footage picture clarity is very impressive" - knowing better what is impressive and what is not, I would recommend being very cautious from any review by Geek Street as this is no where close to impressive for a low light moving subject test.

1662783496974.png

objects in motion .. are blurry .. even close to the camera ..

1662783645916.png
1662783692539.png

suspect has to pause to get a better image ..
1662783749150.png
1662783778673.png
1662783806493.png
1662783866201.png

update:
Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey im continuing the discussion from Slickdeals for fun i guess, but as i said i dont get much blur at night on poe d800's anyway which by now are old right?

This maxxed out digital zoom while moving in complete darkness. Id say being to see hair strands is decent no?

My dog is in theroom with a reflective collar, its a bad angle. But is it possible to pause on a blurry frame? Yes. But there obviously many clear frames where i can clearly identify details of the subject.

Just trying to be helpful i guess. Obviously theres better gear.
Screenshot_20220910-001753_Reolink.jpg

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I gave a man an estimate on 4 cameras and and alarm system for his small home. (he said 3 cameras were what he had in mind) .. He seemd taken aback at my estimate.

Before I left he showed me two reolink argus with solar panels still in the box. I drove 1 hr to his home. A very good customer asked me to give him an estimate, so i did.

Before i left he remarked I was way above the last estimate, but would like me to email the estimate to him.

I'm thinking of quadrupling it.

Consumers cant purchase alarm equipment.

The big box stores and unrealistic camera reviews are killing quality camera installs. He seems capable to self install his own camera system.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey im continuing the discussion from Slickdeals for fun i guess, but as i said i dont get much blur at night on poe d800's anyway which by now are old right?

This maxxed out digital zoom while moving in complete darkness. Id say being to see hair strands is decent no?

My dog is in theroom with a reflective collar, its a bad angle. But is it possible to pause on a blurry frame? Yes. But there obviously many clear frames where i can clearly identify details of the subject.

View attachment 139458
There is a market for Reolink. If it's all you need it's fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 139458
I don't think someone laying in bed qualifies as the same kind of moving as a perp walking around a property LOL.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

View attachment 139458
Welcome @fullauto2009

Do feel free to check out some of the recommendations that @wittaj and others have shared ..

So, the real test .. does the cameras do the job you need / want to have done?

For most of us that have come here, after buying many poor quality cameras .. is the ability to potentially ID anyone who infringes on our home, property, families.

A key part of this is the ability under low light / night time conditions to get a decent chance of an ID'able image of a suspect ( typically near the camera, and with at least some reasonable amount of light .. that is not in complete darkness. )

For some, they want cameras for different reasons .. watching dogs, wildlife, babies, to see if a gate was left open ..

either way, you want to test under as close as possible real world conditions that you are looking for the camera to perform the job you need to be done.

Someone lying still in bed, is probably not a close test of a job many of us are looking for a camera to perform.

Reaction score

View attachment 139458
So there’s a dog in this picture?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, it took me awhile to figure out that was a head of someone laying in bed with glasses on LOL. I read dog and reflective collar and was so confused LOL.

I don't know that I would call that hair strands - globs of hair maybe.

And sure even the best cameras at night will have frames that are blurry, but I assure you that @mat200 in his freeze frames is not picking the worse, but trying to capture the best image the video can produce.

In the Geekstreet images above, the stationary objects are kinda impressive looking lol, but the person moving is totally useless video.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I made a coment above, that if it's all you need it's fine. The problem is most people are extremely underwhelmed with low light video from almost all consumer grade cameras. So many don't know what "fine" could mean to me vs them. They all look good in bright daylight, especially the 4k wide angle.