Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
this weekend based the issues looney talked. Web5.0 will be the main in 2023, but i will keep the web 4.0 gui on the 5442, 5842 .
I do not see Dahua pushing out the web5.0 to existing cameras via a firmware update, but if they do, I would strongly recommend not doing the update (don't fix what ain't broke) as I would suspect it would mess up a ton of things.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can this be mounted vertically or only for soffit applications?
I believe based on the limitations of motion in the Pan and Tilt that if it were installed on a wall where the dome is sticking out instead of down, the range of motion would be severely limited. Plus it probably wasn't designed to be that way.

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would this be a big improvement from this Dahua SD52C225U-HNI mini dome PTZ I purchased back in 2018. How can I improve IVS Auto-Tracking?
I think the jury still out for this new camera right now. For the current version it definitely needs some more adjustment in some areas.
The grade is incomplete, can't really compare other than specs.

Personally, I will wait to see more videos reviews first before deciding whether or not to get this camera.

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think the jury still out for this new camera right now. For the current version it definitely needs some more adjustment in some areas.
The grade is incomplete, can't really compare other than specs.

Personally, I will wait to see more videos reviews first before deciding whether or not to get this camera.
If accuracy in auto-tracking is my main concern, I would assume that technology in these alogarithms have improved drastically since my SD52C225U-HNI that I purchased back in 2018.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If accuracy in auto-tracking is my main concern, I would assume that technology in these alogarithms have improved drastically since my SD52C225U-HNI that I purchased back in 2018.
Auto-tracking had its quirks over the past few years. Its good these cameras are available to us first before they make their way into the mainstream market. It helps to address issues fully before any concrete reviews are made as it can take forever, sometimes up to the EOL of the camera itself to sort out any bugs / issues. The popular 25x 2mp PTZ camera eventually got its auto-tracking feature stripped away and owners were advised not to update firmware if they still wanted to retain the autotracking feature.

Either the camera is capable of autotracking or is not. Many of the initial reviews for new dahua/hikvision models will still be pre-production units. It is a good idea to hold up and wait for reviews through other sources before jumping on the bandwagon. ;)

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While I don't have the SD5, that you refer to, the auto-tracking on this mini seems to be very good so far.
Focusing does seem to be a bit fuzzy and slow at night. During the day, I don't have any problems with focusing, that I've seen so far.

Night viewing might not be as good on the mini as your current camera, due to this having a 1/2.8" 4mp sensor, compared to your 1/2.8" 2mp sensor. Hence viewing conditions need to be considered.

Overall I think this mini will be a great camera for those who don't want, or can't use a full size ptz.
I'm going to run this mini over my driveway for this winter, see how things go and see if I'll keep it over my driveway or move it to my porch.

This camera will definitely get the full winter test this week, with snow, high winds, below zero temperatures, etc..

f13dfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While I don't have the SD5, that you refer to, the auto-tracking on this mini seems to be very good so far.
Focusing does seem to be a bit fuzzy and slow at night. During the day, I don't have any problems with focusing, that I've seen so far.

Night viewing might not be as good on the mini as your current camera, due to this having a 1/2.8" 4mp sensor, compared to your 1/2.8" 2mp sensor. Hence viewing conditions need to be considered.

Overall I think this mini will be a great camera for those who don't want, or can't use a full size ptz.
I'm going to run this mini over my driveway for this winter, see how things go and see if I'll keep it over my driveway or move it to my porch.

This camera will definitely get the full winter test this week, with snow, high winds, below zero temperatures, etc..
Thank you for your honest opinion! I will heed your advice for now & wait until this new mini PTZ gets put through it's paces over the Winter. Just an FYI that I've gotten my PTZ to auto-track quite well although I haven't tinkered with it since I made this posting a few years back. The other thing that I like about this new mini PTZ is that it has it's own IR illuminators; mine did not have any but isn't a concern for where I have it installed since there is street lighting.

Attachments

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for your honest opinion! I will heed your advice for now & wait until this new mini PTZ gets put through it's paces over the Winter. Just an FYI that I've gotten my PTZ to auto-track quite well although I haven't tinkered with it since I made this posting a few years back. The other thing that I like about this new mini PTZ is that it has it's own IR illuminators; mine did not have any but isn't a concern for where I have it installed since there is street lighting.
With the different sensor size, the street lighting MIGHT not be enough. I'll grab a couple pictures tonight with my lighting and show you what it looks like compared to the 4k color I have in the same location. I have a street light about 75' from the camera, along with my carriage lights on my garage.

I really do think this will be a great camera for those who don't want a full size ptz, especially if there is enough light to keep things in color.
Also, I really am impressed with the auto-tracking. I have a 49225 ptz, and this tracks much better.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the different sensor size, the street lighting MIGHT not be enough. I'll grab a couple pictures tonight with my lighting and show you what it looks like compared to the 4k color I have in the same location. I have a street light about 75' from the camera, along with my carriage lights on my garage.

I really do think this will be a great camera for those who don't want a full size ptz, especially if there is enough light to keep things in color.
Also, I really am impressed with the auto-tracking. I have a 49225 ptz, and this tracks much better.
If you could, and recreate my focus tests, with the camera tilted up at above 10 degrees, and zoomed at 10 or more, that would be appreciated.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thinking about this for a moment and watching @looney2ns videos, and pictures again, I don't have those focus issues during the day. However, I don't think my camera is tilting above 10 degrees. I'll have to change things so I can see the angle on the screen.
Here is a picture from earlier today. Approximately 175 feet to the dog.
mini12213.jpg

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also @looney2ns when you're asking tilt the camera up at 10 degrees, you're referring to the tilt angle, and you want it somewhere between 0-10?
If that's the case, then that picture of the dog is around 5 degrees tilt.

I don't have the same focus issues as your camera. As Andy stated, yours being the 1st in the world, I suspect a hardware change was made, or some such.
Might be worth it to get it replaced.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, the tilt angle, you can turn on the coordinates that will show on the screen the tilt and other info, like it is shown in my stills and vids.
High high would you guess the camera is mounted?
Yeah, I'd say from the dog picture, you definitely don't have the issue's that mine do.
Standard ranch house. Approximately 10'.

moviefan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Due to the Covid19 big outbreak in China, the stocks for this model has been delayed. We keep watching on the situation and will update when we get further news. Hope can get some stocks at early Jan.
Thanks a lot for your testing @Timokreon and @looney2ns
Received my PTZ early this week definitely bigger and heavier than i expected, even though i had read the dimensions. May take a while to install it given the fact Christmas over here in a few days and will have to build something bigger to attach it to.

Audrius

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This camera tracks really well. I have no problem with focus, but ONVIF video streaming does not work for my - the firmware is from September, do you have the same firmware version?
1672662109862.png

Last edited:

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This camera tracks really well. I have no problem with focus, but ONVIF video streaming does not work for my - the firmware is from September, do you have the same firmware version?
The latest firmware is from November. Contact @EMPIRETECANDY and he'll give you the newer firmware.