Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something but I thought that he said that it was fine viewing live video either way and F'ed up viewing recorded video from the card either way?
Are you reading what he wrote ?

connected the (lan) cable directly to my PC (same subnet).
This time everything is snappy! No choppy video recordings, no unreasonable lag moving between menus!!!

So I moved my cable to my TP Link AX6000 router directly (still keeping external power to the camera). But everything is slow again, choppy video.
HOW can something related to the sdcard, when

traffic goes directly between camera and pc = no problem
traffic goes through the router to pc = choppy video recordings

I dont understand..
One car key is working, the other not.. so must be an engine problem ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Missed that in all of the back and forth. I'd agree that would suggest something related to the network. But that still doesn't explain the difference between playing from the card vs streaming directly. I didn't say that it was the card. In fact I said that it probably wasn't the card itself since they'd tried more than one with the same result. What I said was there must be something related to how the data is moved from the card vs steamed from the cam. There's obviously some difference if one way works well and the other doesn't over the same network. I don't know enough about how the cam handles video streaming between H.264/H.265 or whatever and an mpg file and what that means re the network to know what that would be.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Missed that in all of the back and forth. I'd agree that would suggest something related to the network. But that still doesn't explain the difference between playing from the card vs streaming directly. I didn't say that it was the card. In fact I said that it probably wasn't the card itself since they'd tried more than one with the same result. What I said was there must be something related to how the data is moved from the card vs steamed from the cam. There's obviously some difference if one way works well and the other doesn't over the same network. I don't know enough about how the cam handles video streaming between H.264/H.265 or whatever and an mpg file and what that means re the network to know what that would be.
You might have missed it, but in my testing, when I moved my fps down (10-15) the issue goes away!? I don't understand this since I'm playing back what is on the SD card previously recorded. The camera is not 'busy', meaning it's idle (no recording, ptz movement, etc.) when I'm trying to playback. It doesn't make sense to me and I wonder if it is some type of SW glitch.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Didn't miss that part. That could be network or the cam depending on how things work. When moving the FPS down to 10-15, that's when playing a recording that has shown the problem at higher rates?

If you can plug the cam in directly and set it at highest rates (e.g., 30FPS/16,384) and play a file that shows the issue and it works fine, then must not be the cam. I'd test that again first.

Unless there are multiple things going on at the same time anyway.

I'd guess that the reason things change even with a previously recorded file when playing it (even though recorded) is that the cam still is streaming the video out from it. It's not just serving up a data stream that's being processed elsewhere as it is when you're copying a file from it. So greater requirements on the cam at higher rates either because it's trying to stream at those rates (I don't see any other way to set any playback stream settings) and/or because it's more busy still processing video coming in at the higher rate no matter what you're doing on the back end as far as playback. I suppose there could be some difference in how things are streamed/buffered between the two formats that could affect it but again I don't know enough about that works.

Or if it were a network throughput problem, you could try to max out the cam in live view. 30FPS/16,384 should generate a lot more traffic than any smaller difference in stream formats at lower rates where the traffic is 1/2 of that and the problem shows.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But that still doesn't explain the difference between playing from the card vs streaming directly.
The bandwith of Live View is limited to the bitrate set in camera tab, playback can download more data (buffering)

When he pause playback, wait and play it isnt choppy to a point. He also wrote that lowering bitrate or fps helps. Lol.

One notable exception: If I start a playback and immediately pause it for the duration of the recorded file, it will play back with no choppy video!
Why even talk about it for days. If he use direct connection between cam and pc and everything is fine then its not a camera/sdcarf problem

Last edited:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding where a setting is in this camera.
It seems to be recording 24/7 and, although, it records events, there is recording before and after events. My playback bar looks all green with occasional orange events.
I don't have any motion detect, audio detect, triggers enabled. I only use IVS triggers. I'm out of places to find out where the setting is for this.

cosmicman

n3wb
Reaction score
My SD4A425DB-HNY is proving to be very challenging in two areas. 1) unacceptable lag between menu selections and choppy or blank video playback from SD card.
Not at all like my SD49225T-HN and 42212TNI, which are both responsive, snappy and no choppy video playback from slower SD cards.
I've been reading, testing, and trying as many things I can think of over the past 2 days, much of my waking hours so any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.
Regardless, I'm sure someone will be happy to point out something I 'missed' in the forum or a wiki somewhere :)

Camera setup: Cat 6 POE wired to SODOLA managed switch, verified the power to the camera is working as expected.

Lag issue on GUI using SD card:
Initial launch of GUI screen takes around 14 seconds to see the login on Chrome, about 20 seconds on Edge.
After logging in, about 15 seconds on Chrome, up to 55 seconds on Edge to see initial GUI menu screen.
Smart PSS takes about 15 seconds for live video to appear when camera is clicked.
Searching for videos, 6-20 seconds on Chrome (48 clips),
Start of play usually takes 12-15 seconds and always is choppy and some videos are blank (with choppy sound)
PTZ takes 7 seconds typical to change; up to 30 seconds sometimes.
Things tried:
Replaced my U3 256gb SD card with a 256g Samsung Pro Plus, U3, V30, 4K (read 180mbs/write 130mbs)
Tried another chrome browser on two other computers (laptop and another desktop); includes rebooting computers and just running browsers only
Tried Edge; takes much much longer on initial login.

Choppy or blank videos from SD card recordings:
All video playback directly from the SD card is always choppy and occasionally a blank video with choppy sound
One notable exception: If I start a playback and immediately pause it for the duration of the recorded file, it will play back with no choppy video! Some kind of buffering?
Things tried:
SmartPSS, Edge, Chrome on other computers, all same result. Again, pausing the video for the duration of the video and playing it will result in a good playback.
Turned off IVS (tripwire and intrusion) and turned on regular motion detect to see if that makes any difference on recorded videos. It didn't.
Downloading the video clip in mp4 and playing it always plays the video fine including good sound from an occasional blank video.

My thoughts are to reset back to factory and start over but would be interested in hearing from anyone with ideas.
Maybe I should temporarily set the recordings to my QNAP file server to see if they aren't choppy there on playback.
I thought I'd ask the community here for help/ideas before bugging Andy @EmpireTech

I've attached a video (screen recording) of the choppy issue; takes about 12 second of lag for the video to start playing.
Try disabling Sub Stream 2 -- Using both Main stream and Sub Stream 2 (720p) at the same time really stresses the camera.

digiblur

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Pretty slick. I have been looking for a decent indoor POE PT camera. Not many out there that are even great stationary indoor POE cameras to mount on the exterior ceiling.

Tsikura

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
D'oh! I have to say, the camera is awesome. Bought it off Andy's amazon store. But don't do what I did and not pay attention to the focal length. The low field of view really killed it for me. Wish I didn't overlook that. Gonna have to sell it off now.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't think this has been mentioned, I'm seeing a large & sustained CPU increase & usage when using a browser (IE, Edge, Firefox) just to access the login page of this camera, compared with other cameras I have.
Any ideas what may be causing this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't think this has been mentioned, I'm seeing a large & sustained CPU increase & usage when using a browser (IE, Edge, Firefox) just to access the login page of this camera, compared with other cameras I have.
Any ideas what may be causing this?
Post #1 mentioned it: "Using Internet Explorer with the camera, it puts a heavy resource load on the computer."

However, I haven't experienced this with mine. What firmware version are you running?

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It has a newer fw , i will update the fw to our website on Monday, there has a customer report very stucked on browser but after upgrade the new fw, camera is going very smoothly.
Are there big changes in this firmware?

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Post #1 mentioned it: "Using Internet Explorer with the camera, it puts a heavy resource load on the computer."

However, I haven't experienced this with mine. What firmware version are you running?

Thanks, I've read this thread several times over the months, probably forgot about that.
version

1694232442558.png