Review-SD4A425DB-HNY 1/2.8" CMOS 4MP 25x Starlight Auto-tracking MiniPTZ

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah that’s supposedly the internal camera temp. I don’t doubt that the dome is acting like a magnifying glass, but it still seems crazy high.

Been dark for 2 hours and reading 122 that’s about what it’s been from day 1

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah that’s supposedly the internal camera temp. I don’t doubt that the dome is acting like a magnifying glass, but it still seems crazy high.

Been dark for 2 hours and reading 122 that’s about what it’s been from day 1
My 4A425 is at 104 deg now with outside temp 65 deg and rain. I do have a 49225 that is 116 deg now. It has always ran hotter and pushed from 140-155 during sunny days.
If memory serves me right, the 425 has a fan in it that you may want to bench test to confirm that it is working.

Reaction score
Here are a few temps I took a couple of years ago and ones I took tonight.

This one is in the back yard and was in direct sunlight all afternoon. Do not have the outside temperature for that day.
HDW5231R-ZE Temps.JPG

This one is inside in a window overlooking my driveway. Inside temperature was probably about 73F.
SD12203T-GN Temps.JPG

These I took tonight from some of the cams that are at the front of the house. It was 72F and raining when I took these, but none are in the rain. The only cam with IR on is the Z12E.
Nov night temps.JPG

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
^ are you sure that is correct? My dark brown LPR cam box in the garden is in direct sunlight all day here in Houston. I have a digital thermometer inside and the hottest it got during our 104F days this summer was 127F.
From day 1, my SD1A404XB was showing at least 10 degrees hotter than reality. And it wasn't moving nor zooming. I wouldn't put much stock in the built-in thermometers.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine shows 78 cam temp at 51 ambient, raining.

Something else that I noticed the other day is that the PTZ controls in BI are much more responsive after turning off ONVIF authorization the other day (related to PTZ not working with DST changing on previous page). Can't think of anything else that I've changed. Works great now in BI vs still the usual laggy control directly via the cam.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you take the dome off you can probably hear it.

Or if it isn't moving you could put your hand on the base and feel the slight vibration.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I suspect it is nothing to worry about. I brought mine inside because I am trying another camera at that location. A couple hours ago I fired it up in a 72 degree room and the camera is now displaying 109 deg. The fan is visible above the lens (seen in photo) and starts about 5 seconds after connecting POE. I can't hear it unless my ears are within 6 inches or so.
The dome and body are barely warm. My PC and POE switches are warmer to the touch. I took the dome off and the warmest part that I could spot was a heat sink behind the left led bank which was 91 deg.

425 fan.jpg

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I started tweaking my new SD4A425DB-HNY and I am noticing some dead pixels. Below is a zoomed in image of a dark surface at night with the IR turned off, the white circles are showing where the dead pixels are. If I pan over to a different spot the dead pixels do not move. Is this acceptable or should reach out to Andy for a replacement.

1703821686695.jpeg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I started tweaking my new SD4A425DB-HNY and I am noticing some dead pixels. Below is a zoomed in image of a dark surface at night with the IR turned off, the white circles are showing where the dead pixels are. If I pan over to a different spot the dead pixels do not move. Is this acceptable or should reach out to Andy for a replacement.

View attachment 181117
It may be dead pixels, but could also be the new firmware getting a little aggressive trying to make a visible image and a few pixels went rogue. We saw this with the 4K/T when it first came out in lower light conditions.

It would be interesting to try it with light on in the day and do like an all green background and see if these spots are white or green. That would let you know if they are dead or not.

Last edited: