Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

icebox

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the file downloaded ok.
Maybe you have some network protection that's blocking the site, or a DNS with parental controls.
May be my internet service provider is blocking it in the US?
I tried my mobile phone using firefox, same thing it times out!

Would it be possible you could help me out, download it and upload to a share site like google drive, etc?
Would really appreciate that, otherwise I guess I have to wait on xiongmai possible help...

Wow I was able to download using another mobile phone, my home ISP is Verizon FIOS and my Mobile phone is Verizon also. But I have another cell phone I borrowed uses Tmobile network and was able to download apparently Verizon blocks this download...

Attachments

Last edited:

mc510

n3wb
Reaction score
hey guys, I hope the ultra-cheap camera aficionados are still following this thread. I've been playing around with one that I bought a few years ago (XM530 SOC, Starviz IMX307 sensor). Yesterday I was having great results with Onvier Android ONVIF viewer. Today not so much, and I don't know what changed. It will stream for three seconds and then it freezes; about ten seconds later the connection is abandoned and then renegotiated, and it starts all over again. I've tried all three streams (0,1,2) and simple RTSP and ONVIF. It seems like sometimes one of those combinations will work better than the others, like going for a minute or two before freezing and restarting, but which one works better seems random. Anyone have an idea what's going on, how to fix?

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sounds like a network issue. I have a couple of these that have been running 24/7 since 2014 with Zero problems or issues. I use blue Iris to manage them. I can also use the Windows ONIVF program, whatever it's called.

mc510

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like a network issue
That was my thought as well, especially seeing as I originally had it behind a wireless repeater. But no improvement with direct Ethernet connection to router, no improvement with restarting everything (multiple times). It certainly could be a network issue, but I can't think of what might have changed from when it was working great to when it keeps freezing. And, interestingly, this morning I decided to try to XMeye Android app, and streaming works perfectly.

mc510

n3wb
Reaction score
what sw are using?
I've tried several on Android and iPhone. On Android I was having good luck with Onvier, but now having the problem with freezing after a few seconds. Just started with XMeye and the stream is solid, no problems. On iPhone, two different ONVIF apps were unable to connect to the camera at all, but XMeye is working great. I wasn't expecting such different results from different software; odd that XMeye is the only one that seems to work correctly.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use Blue Iris exclusively. Both on my iPhone and on my computer. It greatly simplifies camera management and also makes utterly useless Chinese cams usable. If I had to rely solely on camera web servers and written instructions Half of my cams would end up in the garbage. The value in an ip camera lies as much in the software as in the hardware. Chinese gibberish greatly decreases the value of a camera and in many cases makes it totally unusable. Blue Iris cuts through this garbage.

My driveway camera was a cheap Chinese Grandstream knockoff I bought directly from China. I could not get it configured using the useless web interface. This was when I turned to Blue Iris. I had to use the process of elimination to find the correct camera but once I did I was able to use the camera for well over a decade without any further problems. About a year ago I replaced it with a Dahua from Amazon (Andy). It's superior in every way and as a bonus it has a perfectly usable web interface.

Bottom line is the problem with Chinese cameras isn't the hardware, it's the software. It's buggy and unintelligible. Find software that you're comfortable with and forget the in camera software.

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This device can be flashed with OpenIPC quite easily. In my case it had the 3518Ev100 chip, instructions are available here: List of HiSilicon SoCs - OpenIPC
By doing this you have a much more modern CPU and a useable webinterface.

I only found it a bit slow and wasn't able to configure image quality, so i reverted to stock firmware.

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have 2 of these that have been running 24/7 for years. Never expected them to last this long. They run under Blue Iris so the native interface doesn't matter but yea, it sucks, as does all Chinese software.

toysoft

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read the manpage for BusyBox v1.16.1 but the version shipped on the IP camera seems to differ a bit (as the built-in help shows that command won't accept any argument).

I've discovered the right command to start a non-crippled telnetd daemon listening on the default port (23) by trial and error (fourth attempt):
Code:
telnetd -f
After having issued it from the crippled shell session on port 9527 you can open another connection to the new telnetd authenticating as:
  • Username: root
  • Password: xmhdipc
Here's a gif recording which shows the whole process:

I hope that this will be useful to you.

Thanks everybody! (special thanks to cybermaus)
From Telnet, which I am on my Camera, does there is a way to get back the firmware (I briked it so I have now only telnet),

Perhaps this way ?

Then, try flashing process. In telnet session to camera, type:
/usr/bin/Sofia --upgrade /tmp/mnt/[your_firmware_file].bin

I am searching for the latest firmware ... V4.02.R11.00001531.11010.230800 and 00001510.1IPC50H10LV4.0.R11.zip

Thank you,

TS

Last edited: