RF interference from IP POE

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
If it was the NVR the problem would be to get LaView to replace it and if they did I'm sure they would give me the same model and I may have the same issue then and back to square one after paying for return shipping.

A very frustrating little bugger.

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
Appears it might be the NVR now, when I disconnect the lan cable that was giving me trouble now it means to have migrate to another channel and another is blocking the signal. If I unplug the NVR Channel 11.1 instantly comes on our TVS.

Who can recommend a 4k NVR that I could replace this piece of junk with ? Tired of messing with it and just get a new one and use the hard drive from this one.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd still really like to see some pictures of the nvr, cables, power supply, antenna amp, antenna cabling, and possibly inside the NVR.

Does the NVR still seem cause problems with ALL of the network cables unplugged?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You cal always look at
TV Fool
to find out what physical channel frequency it is on.

I have had the problem on a 2 way radio and it ended up being the switching power supply.
After replacing it, things worked well.

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
No if you unplugged the LAN cables the network interference stops. I even wrapped the power cable from the 48volt power supply to the NVR in a RF magnet clips that I bought awhile ago, still didn't help but it could just be to much noise from a bad power supply too ?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No if you unplugged the LAN cables the network interference stops. I even wrapped the power cable from the 48volt power supply to the NVR in a RF magnet clips that I bought awhile ago, still didn't help but it could just be to much noise from a bad power supply too ?
The cables act like antennas. Power supplies can make a lot of noise.

Could you post a link to the specific monoprice antenna you have? How is your reception without the antenna amp plugged in?

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Depending on what material the rf magnet clip is made of and where on the cables. the type of ferrite material has to match the frequency you are trying to block.
If you have a different kind of power supply, it would be an easy test.

Otherwise, if you can watch tv while disconnecting cables, etc. Try and see what has to be on for the interference to be there.
Is it coming from the NVR with only power supply connected? Do you have to have a certain camera cable connected?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I wonder if you put an active device like a switch between the cam and the nvr, if it would kill the rf?
Obviously close to the nvr.

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes outlets are grounded , 12/2 lower gauge wiring. I'll try an extension cord to another outlet to just double check but I'm sure it's good.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I too am interested in what @tangent asked re: grounding of NVR.

FWIW, NVR likely has a 2-wire AC plug or a 2 circuit (DC+ and DC-) DC power jack coming in from a external DC power supply...I'll bet NVR case is NOT grounded.

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
It's a big power adapter so it has a standard computer three prone positive, negative and ground to the adapter.

I haven't tried ohm out the plug to the power supply to the ground at the other end of the cable to see if the ground is going through the power supply. Another idea I can take apart the NVR and make sure it's grounded and the connection isn't broken ?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Appears it might be the NVR now, when I disconnect the lan cable that was giving me trouble now it means to have migrate to another channel and another is blocking the signal. If I unplug the NVR Channel 11.1 instantly comes on our TVS.

Who can recommend a 4k NVR that I could replace this piece of junk with ? Tired of messing with it and just get a new one and use the hard drive from this one.
So this is a bit hard to understand. Are you saying when you unplug the ethernet cable that goes to the cam, the channel interfered with changes? So 11.1 is OK but some other channel is now "blocked"?

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
No only 11.1 is blocked .if I disconnect all the lan cables to the cameras it's clear, if I unplug the NVR the channel instantly comes back on.

I precprevio thought it was one camera lan cable or that camera but after disconnecting it yesterday channel 11.1 did not appear until I started disconnecting other lan cables, almost like it was going to the path of least resistance.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Assume your nvr has poe ports and that is where you are connecting the cams. If available, using a poe switch to power the cams and connect to the nvr would be interesting.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No only 11.1 is blocked .if I disconnect all the lan cables to the cameras it's clear, if I unplug the NVR the channel instantly comes back on.

I precprevio thought it was one camera lan cable or that camera but after disconnecting it yesterday channel 11.1 did not appear until I started disconnecting other lan cables, almost like it was going to the path of least resistance.
As stated, the cables are acting like antennas. However I'm curious how close the cables are to the coax for your antenna and the power supply / antenna amp.

How is your tv reception with the antenna amp unplugged? Be aware amps amplify the noise too.

Do the power supply for the amplified antenna and nvr share a power strip?

The simplest and most time efficient thing you could do would be post some pictures of various things we've been talking about in the thread (cabling, cords, inside the nvr, etc.). There could be something that jumps out to someone else as a possible issue that you didn't think about. The NVR / cabling are clearly causing the problem, but there could be other aspects of your overall set up that are increasing the effects of a small amount of noise.

You mentioned your antenna is a flat syle antenna from monoprice. Often these antennas don't have great VHF (11 is VHF) performance and they often use some pretty low quality super tiny coax cable. If you had a better antenna (that doesn't even need an amp) this was connected with RG-6QS you might not even have a noticeable problem.

Last edited:

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
Case and internal connections including the lan ports are all grounded via ohm setting. I also ohm the AC/DC adapter and appears to allow the ground through it via Ohm check.

20190404_184111.jpg 20190403_194753.jpg 20190403_194809.jpg 20190404_184111.jpg 20190403_194753.jpg 20190403_194809.jpg

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Case and internal connections including the lan ports are all grounded via ohm setting. I also ohm the AC/DC adapter and appears to allow the ground through it via Ohm check.

View attachment 41089 View attachment 41090 View attachment 41091 View attachment 41089 View attachment 41090 View attachment 41091
Looks like normal hopefully RG-6 coax to the antenna, that's good. This style of antenna often isn't the best performer when it comes to VHF. Wrapping foil around the cable won't do any good unless one end of the foil is grounded. RG-6 already has layers of foil and braided shield. Likewise ferrite beads won't do much on coax.

As previously stated ferrite beads need to be chosen based on the frequencies you're trying to filter.

I wasn't expecting an external power supply for the NVR, pictures when I googled the model showed an internal power supply.

If it wasn't clear, I was more interested in seeing the rats nest of cable around the NVR.

I do think the NVR is the problem, but I'd try things like plugging a PoE switch into an NVR port and then the camera into that or moving things to create more distance between antenna and nvr cabling or moving power supplies / power cords to see it there's any change. I'm mainly wondering if the amp or something else about your cabling are a factor.

I'd also be tempted to try a better tv antenna like one of these without an amp it would just be a general improvement:
https://www.amazon.com/GE-29884-Outdoor-Attic-Antenna/dp/B01MYMVPVX/
https://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outdoor-Antenna-ANT751E/dp/B0024R4B5C/

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Olie

n3wb
Reaction score
I think we are on the same page, I took off the power supply to the booster and the panel antenna and Jerry rigged some rabbit ears up in the attic and what the heck channel 11.1 is nice and clear. No need for the amp and booster.

Channel 4.1 and 5.1 are not coming through though but I'm thinking that's more of the cheap rabbit ear connection without a grounded loop through the RG/6

20190404_192154.jpg