Rich Notifications

Jeff DeWolfe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello- I have had a Blue Iris server setup for some time now. In the past, I have always had it set to send me an email with a few pictures any time there is motion. In a recent update, I noticed rich notifications were mentioned. After looking into it further, I would like to use this instead of email. I have enabled the settings, but it doesn't seem to be working. I just get a push notification (iPhone), so that part is working, but it doesn't include a picture or gif. I do have stunnel setup, I did that as part of my troubleshooting trying to get this to work. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions on how to get it working.

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello- I have had a Blue Iris server setup for some time now. In the past, I have always had it set to send me an email with a few pictures any time there is motion. In a recent update, I noticed rich notifications were mentioned. After looking into it further, I would like to use this instead of email. I have enabled the settings, but it doesn't seem to be working. I just get a push notification (iPhone), so that part is working, but it doesn't include a picture or gif. I do have stunnel setup, I did that as part of my troubleshooting trying to get this to work. Just wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions on how to get it working.

Thanks!
Same problem here. Email support.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will switch to port forwarding tonight and do some testing to see if it has to do with using stunnel/vpn

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a screenshot of anyone having this working? It would be good to know their exact setup. Mine is below, which is not working for Gif Rich Notifications.

Blue Iris Web Settings / Stunnel / Firewall Port Forwarding / DNS Modifications / Self signed or Trusted SSL / Phone OS

My Setup (and I don't have it working)
Blue Iris Web
(see image below)

Stunnel

[https]
accept = 192.168.0.20:444
connect =192.168.0.20:81

Firewall Port Forwarding
NAT SAME PORT inside and out (444 to 444)

DNS Modifications
Added Firewall Entry for local IP so the exact same URL works inside LAN or on WAN (https://www.domainname.com:444)

SSL Cert
Trusted Cert with Let's Encrypt

Phone OS
Primary Phone Pixel 2 w/ Android 9
Debugging Phone Droid Turbo w/ Android 6.0.1

Attachments

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Google home router doesn't support VPN so I'm port forwarding using stunnel.

stunnel config

[Blue-Iris]
accept = 443
connect = 80
cert = C:\Program Files (x86)\stunnel\config\stunnel.pem

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 5.38.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 5.38.54 PM.png

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks! Do notifications with an image work while on your LAN and while on WAN (away)? The require authentication from Non-LAN only is the only non standard thing I see here that could be something.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, I get notifications with an image even when I'm not on my lan.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great. thanks. I'm going to try to replicate on my end. The things that stand out to me are.

BlueIris and STunnel using Default/Standard ports (80 and 443)
Require Authentication set to Non-LAN Only
Use Secure Session keys and Login Page Disabled
Allow Directory Listing Enabled
Usae Deflate Compression Disabled

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I used the exact same setting, no luck on my end. I'm curious if anyone with an Android has every gotten an image notification or if anyone with an iPhone has ever gotten a blank notification.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
One other thing is I don't have a port defined for my external address.

mtpleasantben

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
RIght, thats automatic once you change ssl to something besides 443. But your LAN is HTTP also, I missed that earlier. Ok. I'll test all this tonight from inside my LAN, I cant NAT to 443 on the outside.

ChrisX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hi, i have the same problem i get no picture .. i must disable 10-image GIF .. now i get picture in my Push .. why animated not working?

I see animated Push only ios .. but when its enabled android no push pictures

Last edited: