Rich Notifications

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm getting push notifications on my iPhone, but not in an animated GIF format.

View attachment 35063
Sorry a bit late, but if you did not already work it out, you swipe left and click view to see the animated GIF.
If the notification pops up in an app then you have to swipe down to see the animation.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just wanted to update that I've got rich notifications working perfectly on android with stunnel installed (not using a custom certificate from zerossl, but am forcing stunnel back to TLS 1.2). For me the problem was that the external ip listed in the web server settings wasn't updated, that's what broke my rich notifications (just happened to coincide with me installing stunnel as well).

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do I understand correctly? So if I'm using VPN to access my BI and do not have any ports forwarded to the actual server from outside the firewall, rich notifications won't work?

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Probably a bit late but I found that if the app doesn't have direct access to the BI server you won't see the image in the notification.

It doesn't matter if you are on a VPN, doing port forwarding and so on. The key is that your BI server needs to be reachable.

In my case it was confusing because my BI server was publishing the public IP address it uses to go out to the internet as its IP address in the notification and since I can't conenct to that address then it never worked. What I did in the end was to make it publish its private address instead and it worked perfectly while I Was in the network or on the VPN.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So for those of us using on demand con with the blue iris app are basically not going to get this to work?

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just tested @VinAU and forced BI app on my iPhone to be connected via VPN and still not getting image so that does not seem to be the case or I have something else going on in addition.

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just tested @VinAU and forced BI app on my iPhone to be connected via VPN and still not getting image so that does not seem to be the case or I have something else going on in addition.
On the web server tab, what IP addresses do you have for internal and external? And do you have "refresh external ip address ticked?

Last edited:

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
O

On the web server tab, what IP addresses do you have for internal and external? And do you have "refresh exernal ip address ticked"?
I have my correct external ip posted with port 81, but I don't use it since I use VPN to get into my home network before access BI on my iPhone. So im not using STUNNEL or port 443 since I am not opening anything yup to the outside world coming inbound, does that make sense?

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have my correct external ip posted with port 81, but I don't use it since I use VPN to get into my home network before access BI on my iPhone. So im not using STUNNEL or port 443 since I am not opening anything yup to the outside world coming inbound, does that make sense?
Replace the external IP with the internal IP, disable refresh external address below. And then force a notification when you are on the VPN.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Replace the external IP with the internal IP, disable refresh external address below. And then force a notification when you are on the VPN.
ok will try, thanks for the idea...

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow you are right! That worked. Thanks so much @VinAU I am assuming there is no other work around for users of VPN while they are home? The only option is to basically have VPN active all the time?

VinAU

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow you are right! That worked. Thanks so much @VinAU I am assuming there is no other work around for users of VPN while they are home? The only option is to basically have VPN active all the time?
What do you mean have the VPN active at all times? If you are at home your BI server will be reachable on that IP and that would work as well.

shmookles

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What do you mean have the VPN active at all times? If you are at home your BI server will be reachable on that IP and that would work as well.
yep, you are right, I was confused. All working now. Thanks for your help....