Ring alarm system still considered a reliable solution?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It’s on about every other house in my neighborhood and it’s one of the few things that people aren’t always griping about.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s on about every other house in my neighborhood and it’s one of the few things that people aren’t always griping about.
Are you talking about three RI get camera...or the Ring Alarm he is asking about? Just wondering how you would know what houses have the Ring alarm or not in their home.
I have a Ring 2 doorbell on my parent's home and have been very underwhelmed with it.
Their alarm though has peaked my interest having a house with no system hard wired during construction but also interested in Simply sSafe and a few othereseconds like Honeywell but just have not had time to research them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about three RI get camera...or the Ring Alarm he is asking about? Just wondering how you would know what houses have the Ring alarm or not in their home.
I have a Ring 2 doorbell on my parent's home and have been very underwhelmed with it.
Their alarm though has peaked my interest having a house with no system hard wired during construction but also interested in Simply sSafe and a few othereseconds like Honeywell but just have not had time to research them.
The ring alarm is solid and much cheaper than simply safe. 8.33 a month for dual path internet/cellular monitoring. At this price point there is nothing that competes. Just buy it from costco and test it and have something in place, even if just a door and motion sensor. Dont like it after a few months return it. It is foolish to have no alarm system in your home.
If you are willing to pay more both for the system and monitoring (20-25 a month monitoring) the honeywell system is worth considering. Honeywell/resideo will also be releasing a new system there is a thread on it.
Here is another option if you can find someone to give you cheap monitoring like this guy got.
Qolsys IQ panel 2

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you talking about three RI get camera...or the Ring Alarm he is asking about?
My comment sort of covers both (by accident) but you're right that I missed the alarm part and was thinking doorbell. :banghead:

I live in a newer'ish neighborhood and its getting to the point where folks' initial alarm contracts are expiring so there's a good amount of chatter on the neighborhood FB page about cheaper alarm alternatives... SimpliSafe still seems to be the most popular, but Ring's alarm is starting to get more and more mentions.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Honeywell panel with an EyezOn EnvisaLink EnvisaLink 4 IP module. The system is entirely wired except for a wireless motion sensor in the shed and a wireless tilt sensor on the garage door. With the EnvisaLink 4 on a Honeywell or DSC panel monitoring is optional, because you can do it yourself with their apps (iOS and Android) or via a web browser. Since the insurance discount for having a monitored alarm system was nearly exactly the cost of monitoring via EyezOn, I added monitoring.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The ring alarm is solid and much cheaper than simply safe. 8.33 a month for dual path internet/cellular monitoring.
That seems pretty reasonable for including cellular monitoring. I have several neighbors who still pay for copper line telephone monthly just because their wired alarm system will not work without it, cannot dial out to police etc without a hard line connected and not compatible with VOIP as far as I know or concerned about internet outage if it were compatible.

Unfortunately in certain sections of my neighborhood we have very poor to no cell reception because of hills and woods. My cell phone often does not work for calls or text so unless there was a reasonably priced way to boost the cell signal (not reliant on internet) then that fail over would not work for me.

I just googled and Costco has a Ring 10 pc package for $239 & Amazon has a 14 pc kit + 3rd gen Echo dot for $329. Not sure if either are a "great" deal or not but may try one out or wait for a better deal.

Amazon Ring 14 pc + Echo

Costco Ring 10 pc Kit

It would be great if you could somehow tie this into camera I/Os but I don't think it is possible...plus most of my cameras are 5231s which do not have I/Os.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That seems pretty reasonable for including cellular monitoring. I have several neighbors who still pay for copper line telephone monthly just because their wired alarm system will not work without it, cannot dial out to police etc without a hard line connected and not compatible with VOIP as far as I know or concerned about internet outage if it were compatible.

Unfortunately in certain sections of my neighborhood we have very poor to no cell reception because of hills and woods. My cell phone often does not work for calls or text so unless there was a reasonably priced way to boost the cell signal (not reliant on internet) then that fail over would not work for me.

I just googled and Costco has a Ring 10 pc package for $239 & Amazon has a 14 pc kit + 3rd gen Echo dot for $329. Not sure if either are a "great" deal or not but may try one out or wait for a better deal.

Amazon Ring 14 pc + Echo

Costco Ring 10 pc Kit

It would be great if you could somehow tie this into camera I/Os but I don't think it is possible...plus most of my cameras are 5231s which do not have I/Os.
Costco is the way to go if you're unsure about the system that way you can return it anytime you want..
I don't see how tying it into the camera with benefit you at all...

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I thought a lot of people tied sec systems into their cameras...A specific door or window opens and that triggers an alert from a specific camera to see what's going on right away at the specific point of entry vs. hoping your camera rules or other NVR or PC NVR capture the motion properly and trigger it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought a lot of people tied sec systems into their cameras...A specific door or window opens and that triggers an alert from a specific camera to see what's going on right away at the specific point of entry vs. hoping your camera rules or other NVR or PC NVR capture the motion properly and trigger it.
You can do that with the vms or nvr, you don't need a camera to have io.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Amazon Ring 14 pc + Echo

Costco Ring 10 pc Kit

WilsonAmplifiers.com Home Signal Boosters

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. The new (not refurb) one costs 1/2 as much as my cellphone but maybe worth it in the long run and if used w such a sec system package.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
But if the cell booster works, some also allow you to successfully use your cell phones in the area, too. So your house and the immediate area suddenly has good cell coverage where before it may have had none.

You'll find your neighbors loitering in your yard to get a signal on their phones!

My son had one of those mounted in his truck, and it allowed everyone near his truck to use their cell phones (I believe 4 simultaneously) in areas out in the boonies where normally, nobody had any cell signal at all.

There are quite a few "dead areas" in Wyoming. And, of course, many nicer, more remote camping, fishing, hunting areas are often in dead areas. It was surprising how much his booster increased the effective coverage.

I don't know which model he had. As you say, they weren't cheap. But he probably got a huge discount through the company where he worked because they were an enormous customer of such suppliers as Tessco. They did commercial and public service radio systems for a several-state area.

Still, that booster was pretty incredible.

I'm trolling this thread because the prime day deals on these Ring alarm systems are pretty attractive. So I was wondering if @fenderman and others here were still recommending these Ring alarm systems.

Grampa G

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Ring alarm package that had 2 keypads, 2 motion sensors and 3 door/window contacts right after they hit the market last year and I'm still happy I did. It's a simple system without a lot of bells and whistles but I'm OK with that.

I've been thinking of adding the outside horn/strobe more as an incentive for intruders to vacate the area then alert the neighbors.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a feeling v2 will be a touchscreen or at least have an option for one...
I don't care if it has a touchscreen, I just want a little more johnny ive and and bit less minecraft. Maybe an e-ink display.