RJ45 corrosion problems ? and power q's

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello
Has anyone had corrosion problems on the network cable on outdoor cams and is there any substance that can be used like dielectric grease to prevent this ?
Also can the hikvision cameras be powered with the poe and connect with wireless so basically using poe instead of 12v adapter ? I ask this because on my Tenvis the network cable needs to be unplugged before the wireless will connect

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you seal it properly, it will be fine. Use coax seal.
Yes a hikvision 2432 for example can be powered via poe but data sent over wifi.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you seal it properly, it will be fine. Use coax seal.
Yes a hikvision 2432 for example can be powered via poe but data sent over wifi.
I noticed some rust on a couple of cables I had lying around maybe because they weren't plugged into anything so I'll invest in some dielectric silicon gel which seems to be the industry standard for electronic connections in damp environments like automotive etc
Nayr - I'll be using ethernet where possible of course ! but there are a couple of not so important areas with mains that I can bung a wifi camera without the hassle of stringing cables or maybe as you suggest use the powerline setup which I already have in the form of "Home Plugs" like this Here although mine are only 85Mbps if that. You know I completely forgot about that method even though I used it for years so thanks for the memory jog !

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HD Cameras use ~10Mbps tops, powerline is more than adequate..

wifi cameras are prone to wifi problems, and you might not think you have wifi problems until you toss a device on there streaming video 24/7.. Not to mention it lowers the wireless throughput for all your devices that have good reason to be on wifi.. To everything else operating on wireless, that camera will be spewing noise non-stop as they have to ignore its heavy traffic and compete for airwaves.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I was going to ask how much Mbs a camera needs so you answered that -thanks again
How about this bad boy a bit pricey but so simple to implement
500mbps with PoE built in Here

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
scratch that, shoulda noticed the sterling pound sign, $90? seems Hefty price.. if you dont mind a PoE injector + the powerline converter its cheaper to go independent.

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes they sell various PoE stuff too at more reasonable prices. It's been a few years since I used Solwise products and they seem to have moved on a bit. What do you think of the twisted pair data transfer ? They claim 700 meters range over one pair of phone wires

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the Hikvision cube can be powered over POE and yet use its WIFI--pretty sure I asked recently and fenderman said yes, plus my fiddling in firmware indicates it can probably be done.

I am using a hikvision cube over wifi successfully but NOT for storage. Storage for it is over SD. As nayr says, you can just forget wifi if you want 24/7 constant frame rate without drops. I am able to pull data from the camera reliably enough but I won't trust wifi to deliver even a 5 mbps stream consistently and reliably. At least in my area (suburbs--would be worse in urban) there is too much crap in the air causing issues. Too much errant interference. In fact, my respect for wifi goes down over time. I now wire everything I can; the only stuff that isn't wired are my apple devices and a laptop that moves around the house (and that cam I mentioned). PS4, desktop are all wired. Just sick of dealing with wifi nonsense.

Test some connections before trying dielectric. I think probably the advise for coax is better.

I did have an RJ45 port exhibit green discoloration when I looked at it a month back. It had been disconnected and hanging free for 6 months outside but NOT exposed to direct moisture. I only saw corrosion on one of its pins, which was strange; made me wonder if a drop of water had somehow gotten on only that pin. However, until I scraped it down I couldn't get that connection to work. I've since wrapped it in cling wrap and tightly elastic banded it until I need it again. I imagine even moderate corrosion if you ever get it is no huge problem for already-installed cameras, since the connection is already made.

fmflex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In hvac, I've used petroleum jelly to insulate electrical connections from moisture which surprisingly worked quite well.

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been told by local wireless services providers to use dielectric grease on all outdoor network connections and it prevents or stops corrosion

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes, a proper outdoor network equipment install should use dielectric grease with tensioned electrical wrap or heat-shrink tubing over the connection.. also use outdoor UV stable cabling with an additional ground, shielded plugs attached to that ground and an external PoE lightning arrestor attached to a real ground source (rod or water pipe) before it enters the building. Thats how I install outdoor WiFi and never had a single failure due to weather and Ive been running outdoor WiFi of some shape or form at many locations for ~15 years now.

having said that a radio tower or mast is typically alot more harsh of an environment than under an awning/eave that most IPCameras find them selves, usually a residential camera can squeak by with much less without ever having an issue... if I were to put an IPCamera on an exposed mast/tower/pole, or anywhere the environment may get harsh I would, and do follow the same protocol for OD WiFi

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems so far even with the cheap indoor cams mounted under soffits but it only takes a bit of corrosion on the RJ45 connector in the cam to ruin it so a bit of dielectric has to be worth the effort.I guess the best line of defense is physically shielding the camera from the elements but damp will always find a way and we got plenty of damp in the UK