Roku's Data Breach Nightmare & Forced Arbitration Scandal, Why They Held Your TV Hostage : Louis Rossmann

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roku's Data Breach Nightmare & Forced Arbitration Scandal, Why They Held Your TV Hostage
Louis Rossmann

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got 4 Roku tv's (probably never again after this), and only 1 so far popped up the new EULA, a few weeks ago.

Now that it (Roku controversy) has blown up, and I haven't seen it on my other 3 tv's, I wonder if Roku has relented?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got 4 Roku tv's (probably never again after this), and only 1 so far popped up the new EULA, a few weeks ago.

Now that it (Roku controversy) has blown up, and I haven't seen it on my other 3 tv's, I wonder if Roku has relented?
It might be tied to your account. You might only get it once. IMHO, the biggest thing is to make sure there's no payment method tied to your roku account.

I kind of hope they get a high volume of people sending in their opt outs via snail mail. Better still if people mail them signature required and use a font that's hard to OCR or handwrite in red crayon. There's a measurable cost to processing a high volume of those.

Google, Microsoft, and many other companies regularly change the terms in the fine print. It does seem bother people more when they do this to tangible things like a car that requires a monthly subscription for the heated seats to work while simultaneously selling data about your driving habits to your insurance company. People blindly click through so many agreements.

Imagine a future where some company adds a section to one of these agreements that binds people to sell one of their kidneys for $10. Though that might only be enforceable in MD and VA (which passed UCITA).

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
People blindly click through so many agreements.
And what are the people to do when each agreement takes 10+ minutes to read and could take a lot longer to understand, while faced with not being able to use something you want to use? The whole thing is a big pile of steaming stuff.