Router reboot loses cameras

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry. Did not mean to be rude. I am not here to learn how to do it. My question was if it was more troublesome to maintain. If i need to be calling in help 6 times a year then I would rather not have cameras.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As they should be. Buying a router does not give you network phone support for life. Based on your other posts like this where you seem to know better than others and appear to be an expert in this field I'm sure someone on this forum will be willing to help you out for only $250 with a 3 year guarantee. Willing to pay for help with my cameras
I would take this deal. Please contact me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry. Did not mean to be rude. I am not here to learn how to do it. My question was if it was more troublesome to maintain. If i need to be calling in help 6 times a year then I would rather not have cameras.
If you are calling for help 6 times a year you are being ripped off by inept morons.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Hopefully you get hacked and expose your patients/clients privileged information. This is the only way you learn. Lots of people don’t take security seriously that’s why hackers hack.
Not to mention all the law suits that may follow for breach of privacy or damages through loss of credit / debit card information and financial loss through misuse. Tens of thousands of CCTV cameras are botted and hacked every year. The number isn't small nor is the risk. When you open a port, you not only open a door for everyone to come in, but your pc broadcasts the fact it's open. It doesn't show in Google, but hackers don't use Google but Oscint tools, and at least one of those will show the IP address and location of every single open ported device in the world from a single search. This site found 73,000 cameras and it wasn't even considering Port Forwarding and the implications, just default passwords:

Here's an example of CCTV hacking at a Blackhat conference, you'll get the point in the 1st x 5 mins. Don't worry about understanding the code, he explains how simple it's purpose is in simple terms for non coders, so even though you might not udnerstand what is written, tells you what it does.

BTW I'm not posting this here as an example of how to hack. This was revealed at a Blackhat conference and has been on Youtube since 2013, so it's well and truly in the public domain. Additionally, I doubt the cameras from back there are still in use except maybe in one or two run down corner shops somewhere. Either way, Fender if you want to remove the video, feel free. It's purpose is to reveal how easy it is for someone who knows code to hack cameras, nothing more. In the 1st example the guys simply gets the camera to send him the Admin password in a matter of seconds due to holes in the code! After which he's in as Admin with the power to access anything:

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to add, skipping the technical bits, 23 mins 34 secs onwards for a few secs is also interesting as he discusses how getting root (total control) means you can access the wider network by turning the camera into a Linux server under your control. If you want to watch further, he then goes on instead to discuss what he can do to the actual camera itself instead of attacking the network.

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to "pay it forward" by describing how this problem was fixed (for future newbies who run across this). When my internet went down at work Spectrum had me reboot the system. What I didn't realize at the time was that when they did this, they moved my modem out of "bridge mode". Linksys advised me to call Spectrum and have them put me back in Bridge Mode (which I did). They then advised me make a DHCP reservation in which I enter the IP address of my camera system into a list of DHCP reservations. This was quite easy in their interface because it literally involved hovering over the icon for the camera in the network configuration and clicking on "make a DHCP reservation". Once I did that they advised that I go to the Port Forwarding section which asks you which Port and which IP address you want to enter. I selected port 8000 and for the IP address I entered the Public IP that I get when I use "whatsmyip.com". After this the cameras showed up instantly on all of my external devices.

I hope this helps anyone else who finds that every time the internet service provider reboots their system, they lose their cameras. It's happened to me several times before this "bridge" issue was identified. The people who I hired and payed every time to solve this problem never told me the exact cause. Now I can fix this myself if it happens again. In the meanwhile, I will also look for VPN backed security or other more secure ways of using cameras that do not allow for hackers getting into my system. At least this has bought me some time.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Kudos for including the solution albeit again warnings on Port forwarding.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I asked you all those questions in post #5 sans bridging.

Anyone who is port forwarding has “some” basic networking skill and terminology knowledge. You really should get a VPN installed.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to "pay it forward" by describing how this problem was fixed (for future newbies who run across this). When my internet went down at work Spectrum had me reboot the system. What I didn't realize at the time was that when they did this, they moved my modem out of "bridge mode". Linksys advised me to call Spectrum and have them put me back in Bridge Mode (which I did). They then advised me make a DHCP reservation in which I enter the IP address of my camera system into a list of DHCP reservations. This was quite easy in their interface because it literally involved hovering over the icon for the camera in the network configuration and clicking on "make a DHCP reservation". Once I did that they advised that I go to the Port Forwarding section which asks you which Port and which IP address you want to enter. I selected port 8000 and for the IP address I entered the Public IP that I get when I use "whatsmyip.com". After this the cameras showed up instantly on all of my external devices.

I hope this helps anyone else who finds that every time the internet service provider reboots their system, they lose their cameras. It's happened to me several times before this "bridge" issue was identified. The people who I hired and payed every time to solve this problem never told me the exact cause. Now I can fix this myself if it happens again. In the meanwhile, I will also look for VPN backed security or other more secure ways of using cameras that do not allow for hackers getting into my system. At least this has bought me some time.
Almost exactly what I expected—a breakdown of open communication between your modem and router. Now, I don't use Bridge Mode on Spectrum systems; rather, I set my router/gateway device as DMZ on the Spectrum modem. That way, Spectrum can do their remote management without changing anything. I've had them reset their modem—restoring most of their default settings, including turning the built-in WiFi back on—while managing to retain the DMZ setting. Also, this tells me you're using an older Spectrum modem, as all the newer Spectrum modems operate in Bridge Mode by default and have only one Ethernet port, while the WiFi and routing are done in a separate cube device now, which you can disconnect and replace with your own router.

For what it's worth, I would like to "temper" what a lot of users on here have said about Port Forwarding being a great evil. It is not as "blanket bad" as they're saying it is, and VPNs aren't the great solution they're saying either. If someone hacks your VPN, they've got complete access to your entire network without having to compromise a forwarded device. Port Forwarding is actually far more safer as only one resource is forwarded, and ironically, port forwarding the first step to accessing your VPN! (They don't realize this because the "port forward" happens automatically in the router with the VPN.) I have actually done some high security work for a few companies who needed to access things like license servers and remote desktops offsite. They wanted to use a VPN. I said no, citing the above reasons (and more), choosing to install individual "secure tunnels" on our server to the specific network resources that were needed.
The real issue here is trust. @CCTVCam here shared a great video demonstrating what is possible for a hacker on a non-trustworthy device. For example, I would never trust an IP camera or NVR/DVR; those ports should not be forwarded to the Internet. However, I do trust Blue Iris. I also trust my webserver (I wrote the code). Both of these pieces of software have hacking protection built-in and lack POSTing ability. Obviously, someone here trusts their webserver plus whatever forum software this website is running, or we wouldn't be here on this forum. In the case of the secure tunnels mentioned above, I trust stunnel, a piece of software you can also put in front of Blue Iris to give it HTTPS capability for an additional layer of security. For people copping out and saying that a VPN is the magical solution, they are trusting their router's built-in VPN server as well as every single user they supply their private key to. And if that private key gets compromised/into the wrong hands, every device on their network is fair game to a hacker.
In your case, because you're dealing with accessing a 3rd-party device, you don't have much of an option besides a VPN, although an intelligently setup VPN could potentially be firewalled from all devices on your network except for the NVR to further reduce the risk.

Last edited:

ilan1h2020

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Shalem2014. At least I understand the basis of the problem. The previous camera guys who charged me $200 or more per visit made it seem as if it was very complicated. It took them about 5 minutes each time but they claimed "travel time". The other day I asked them if they could do this in "teamviewer" ie: log them into my desktop at work so that could see the router interface, the SADP settings etc. They were reluctant and kept saying they "had to come in". I knew that this was simply a settings issue and couldn't understand why they were avoiding my proposed solution. I decided to waste 2 hours so as to not have to deal with them again. And that was when I discovered that all they were doing every time they came is calling the ISP, re-installing Bridge mode and inputting back the settings. I also discovered that I had an employee who when "rebooting" the router would actually press the little "reset" button on the back instead of simply unplugging it. For this reason the settings were being wiped out every time (neccessitating the expensive services of the camera guys). The icing on the cake was while doing this I also realized that the ISP was charging me $7/month for "wifi maintenance" that was actually being provided by my self-bought router (immediate cancellation). So saved money and learned some useful tricks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost exactly what I expected—a breakdown of open communication between your modem and router. Now, I don't use Bridge Mode on Spectrum systems; rather, I set my router/gateway device as DMZ on the Spectrum modem. That way, Spectrum can do their remote management without changing anything. I've had them reset their modem—restoring most of their default settings, including turning the built-in WiFi back on—while managing to retain the DMZ setting. Also, this tells me you're using an older Spectrum modem, as all the newer Spectrum modems operate in Bridge Mode by default and have only one Ethernet port, while the WiFi and routing are done in a separate cube device now, which you can disconnect and replace with your own router.

For what it's worth, I would like to "temper" what a lot of users on here have said about Port Forwarding being a great evil. It is not as "blanket bad" as they're saying it is, and VPNs aren't the great solution they're saying either. If someone hacks your VPN, they've got complete access to your entire network without having to compromise a forwarded device. Port Forwarding is actually far more safer as only one resource is forwarded, and ironically, port forwarding the first step to accessing your VPN! (They don't realize this because the "port forward" happens automatically in the router with the VPN.) I have actually done some high security work for a few companies who needed to access things like license servers and remote desktops offsite. They wanted to use a VPN. I said no, citing the above reasons (and more), choosing to install individual "secure tunnels" on our server to the specific network resources that were needed.
The real issue here is trust. @CCTVCam here shared a great video demonstrating what is possible for a hacker on a non-trustworthy device. For example, I would never trust an IP camera or NVR/DVR; those ports should not be forwarded to the Internet. However, I do trust Blue Iris. I also trust my webserver (I wrote the code). Both of these pieces of software have hacking protection built-in and lack POSTing ability. Obviously, someone here trusts their webserver plus whatever forum software this website is running, or we wouldn't be here on this forum. In the case of the secure tunnels mentioned above, I trust stunnel, a piece of software you can also put in front of Blue Iris to give it HTTPS capability for an additional layer of security. For people copping out and saying that a VPN is the magical solution, they are trusting their router's built-in VPN server as well as every single user they supply their private key to. And if that private key gets compromised/into the wrong hands, every device on their network is fair game to a hacker.
In your case, because you're dealing with accessing a 3rd-party device, you don't have much of an option besides a VPN, although an intelligently setup VPN could potentially be firewalled from all devices on your network except for the NVR to further reduce the risk.
You are completely clueless and a danger To anyone you work with.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, Shalem2014. At least I understand the basis of the problem. The previous camera guys who charged me $200 or more per visit made it seem as if it was very complicated. It took them about 5 minutes each time but they claimed "travel time". The other day I asked them if they could do this in "teamviewer" ie: log them into my desktop at work so that could see the router interface, the SADP settings etc. They were reluctant and kept saying they "had to come in". I knew that this was simply a settings issue and couldn't understand why they were avoiding my proposed solution. I decided to waste 2 hours so as to not have to deal with them again. And that was when I discovered that all they were doing every time they came is calling the ISP, re-installing Bridge mode and inputting back the settings. I also discovered that I had an employee who when "rebooting" the router would actually press the little "reset" button on the back instead of simply unplugging it. For this reason the settings were being wiped out every time (neccessitating the expensive services of the camera guys). The icing on the cake was while doing this I also realized that the ISP was charging me $7/month for "wifi maintenance" that was actually being provided by my self-bought router (immediate cancellation). So saved money and learned some useful tricks.
Once again by port forwarding your device you are exposing your entire network to being hacked and probably in violation of Hipaa As I understand from your previous posts you operate a business that stores medical records.