Router!

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
I was checking my Netegear Nighthawk router and it says new firmware update available, should i do it if everything is working good? I did a update on another router a few years ago, and it messed every thing up, I don't want to do that again! What do you think?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it is not broken do not fix it.

Only upgrade the router if there is a feature you really need. Or then is a major security hole that is being fixed.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If there are no release notes than do not upgrade.
My asus route has not been updated in a while but there are release note to describe what is in the update.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly. Check the release notes.

If nothing seems to align with a problem you have, don't fix what ain't broke (for you, anyway). As mentioned, a major security flaw would be a general exception to that.

Last edited:

Gi53

n3wb
Reaction score
I found the notes, it is nothing i need right now, but I just got a new camera system, should I update router, before i install new system or wait, and do it latter

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
If there are no security updates then you can leave it

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Guess it depends on how long it's been since it was updated. Looking only at the release notes for the latest may not show what was fixed in earlier patches may not have been done in between. I recall that there were some major security issues with a lot of Netgear devices about a year ago.

Check what firmware version you're running and against here:

Security Advisory | About Us | NETGEAR