RTSP stream without port number in URL?

Reaction score
So I got a NIB Honeywell Acuix IP PTZ off of Ebay. It's a nice PTZ camera with 35X zoom that would normally cost lots. I checked the specs. before I bid and it uses RTSP. I cannot get BI to use the correct RTSP stream. I used URL Snooper while accessing the camera's web page and have the url.
It is "rtsp://192.168.1.199/PRES". I have verified this with VLC Media Player and can view the stream with no problems in VLC.
Blue Iris chokes. It seems you can't tell BI the exact stream to use. It builds it using the options you select. No matter what I try the closest I can get is rtsp://192.168.1.199:554/PRES. Notice that BI inserts the port.
I know the stream url that BI is trying to use because it shows up in URL Snooper. If I put rtsp://192.168.1.199:554/PRES for the stream in VLC it also does not work.
The question is - Is there any way to keep BI from inserting the port number? I did email BI support and got back a request "please send a remote IP: port and user/password " so they can test it. Thing is I can't forward a port to the camera through my router since the stream does not want a port number. Any ideas? Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the default port number for RTSP is 554; specifying it or not wont make a lick of difference.. this has absolutely nothing to do w/your problem.. if you specify RTSP:// uri prefix w/no port number, it will connect to port 554 by default, everything always runs off a port number

basically, you've been chasing a red herring.. put the port number in VLC and you'll see it loads the same with or without it.

define: Blueiris Chokes; thats not a technical term or an error message..

Last edited:
Reaction score
the default port number for RTSP is 554; specifying it or not wont make a lick of difference.. this has absolutely nothing to do w/your problem.. if you specify RTSP:// uri prefix w/no port number, it will connect to port 554 by default, everything always runs off a port number

basically, you've been chasing a red herring.. put the port number in VLC and you'll see it loads the same with or without it.

define: Blueiris Chokes; thats not a technical term or an error message..
Thanks, I will go ahead and forward 554 for BI support. I did get VLC to work with the port, don't know why it was not working before. The only thing I changed on the camera was the compression rate. BI still has "No signal"

Last edited: