Run cams via wifi

PeteStuhl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to run a low touch cam system. I am using two Xiaomi cams which stream via rstp and a Rock64 (4GB, 4 cores with 1.3 Ghz) with motioneye.

In the future I would like to connect more cams. Putting ethernet cables everywhere is difficult at my house so I started off running the cams over wifi.

I heard that this is not the recommended solution but can it be done and the system run smoothly ?

Best
Pete

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I heard that this is not the recommended solution but can it be done and the system run smoothly ?
Two of my six cams are wireless and are anchored to a high-power, high bandwidth UniFi AP and both of them drop out several times a day for a minute or two...annoying but expected. And I live out in the middle of a forest with the closest neighbor 1/8 of a mile away...so it's not interference, it's Wi-Fi.

If you can avoid wireless, then do. POE (Ethernet cable for data and power) is the best way. If you positively cannot pull CAT-5e or 6, consider PLAs (power line adapters.) You've got to power the cam somehow...even wireless cams need power, unless they're battery-powered (God save us). So there's likely a power receptacle nearby.

I've got a TP-LINK PLA running from near my Blue Iris server about 80 feet to a cam in the garage with no attic access so I went with and it's been rock steady for over 3-1/2 years. To be honest, it's predecessor was running for 3-1/2 years, a nearby lighting strike took it out and I replaced it this past March.

PLA.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to run a low touch cam system. I am using two Xiaomi cams which stream via rstp and a Rock64 (4GB, 4 cores with 1.3 Ghz) with motioneye.

In the future I would like to connect more cams. Putting ethernet cables everywhere is difficult at my house so I started off running the cams over wifi.

Best
Pete
Hi Pete,

How do you run the power cables to the cameras?
Isn't that still running a cable?

PeteStuhl

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi mat,

Thats also done wireless just like the wifi :)

Just kidding. I already have power plugs on my attic. I connected the cams to those.

I have one ethernet cable going to the attic. Had to drill through 30 cm of concrete for that.

I guess I could connect that cable to a switch that I place on the attic and then connect the cams to that. However the attic is not isolated. Not sure regarding temperatures during summer and winter.

No chance to get wifi to work?

Best
Martin

PeteStuhl

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh,and the cams I currently have do not have an ethernet port. I think it is possible to add an usb to ethernet connector but getting the drivers to work seems to be complicated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mat,

Thats also done wireless just like the wifi :)

Just kidding. I already have power plugs on my attic. I connected the cams to those.

I have one ethernet cable going to the attic. Had to drill through 30 cm of concrete for that.

I guess I could connect that cable to a switch that I place on the attic and then connect the cams to that. However the attic is not isolated. Not sure regarding temperatures during summer and winter.

No chance to get wifi to work?

Best
Martin
Hi Martin,

WiFi reliability can be problematic, especially if you have that much concrete to deal with.

What I would try to do is create a temp controlled cabinet in the attic, run the ethernet cable to that, put a PoE switch in there and then use it to run any lines out to the cameras.

With a little work, you should be able to create a good airflow within the cabinet - if you have AC, perhaps even venting a bit of AC into the cabinet... yes, the poe switch may not live as long there as other locations, but it maybe easier to replace it more often than to drill any more holes in the 30cm of concrete...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wifi cameras are not security cameras. Anyone with half a brain can block/ jam your wifi network. If you have stuff or love ones to protect, spend the time and money to do it correctly.