Running 2 stealth webcams that keep going out

ThaCamMann

n3wb
Reaction score
So first money isn't really an issue but I am not trying to spend thousands for a bulky system and I am not trying to spend more for something that fits my needs less... That being said I have an ultra-budget system I set up on a whim that happened to work fine until recently.

I am running 2 disassembled 120 degree webcams mounted on window shades with their lenses sticking thru thru 2 about 3/8th of an inch diameter holes. Long story short it started when one was broken and I wanted a quick fix and I tried it out and loved it

Anyway I am sure if it's my PC it's not a processing issue as it's basically as monstrous as possible and I have tested it on a very capable laptop (i7/1060 6GB). I think the problem is the sun, I like my setup because it is ultra discrete and I need to keep it that way and the camera's even with the USB cord weight from 5 feet off the ground are light enough for small amounts of tape (I know jank but it's behind a TV I use as a monitor) so weight is an issue too.... I know this is an IP Cam forum for people who use setups that don't involve webcams but I cannot diagnose my symptoms no matter how much I search so for those of you who have dabbled in webcams for security I could use diagnoses or recommendations of cameras that can fix my issue I can tear down. The software I use is iSpy but I have the same issue when pulling up with Win 10 camera app + on laptop doing this. Basically they are fine at night but right around the time the sun starts to shine they stop working, FPS lowers then they just stop doing images or do one or two, sometimes the image is 2 frames flashing back and forth.... Now I know just replace them dummy but they didn't do this for probably a month+ after I got them with some sun, potentially not as much but I like to add the image isn't overly washed up or anything like that looks great actually.... Another thing is sometimes if I move them around (kind of hard to do because of placement) while they are frozen they will start working while moving and stop as soon as I stop. They are pointing generally downward and the sun isn't directly on them, also as far as temps I doubt this is the issue but have no idea.

Anyway I haven't seen anyone with my problem under these specific conditions so input or recommends on webcams that can 100% resist sun (don't really care to much about quality or if they are washed up but still can see what's going on) much appreciated and if there are any stealth systems perhaps that can be mounted lightweight and small lens even better!

Reaction score
Could the webcam be overheating due to lack of air circulation? Is it confined to a small space? Is there very little air moving around/near it?

ThaCamMann

n3wb
Reaction score
Could the webcam be overheating due to lack of air circulation? Is it confined to a small space? Is there very little air moving around/near it?
This is true, and of course the sun is hot on the physical lens as well as the blinds, the single biggest detraction of this is the room had dedicated cooling so it remains the same temp (although they are in bad circulation like you said) also leaving them off for a while gives me very little extra life or usually none(as in just doesn't work most of the time after a certain time say around mid day until low light or around 7 pm-ish) when reconnecting if it. I will test this theory more thoroughly and report back for now I am going to blast AC and open the blinds to see if it helps.

ThaCamMann

n3wb
Reaction score
Let me ask you a follow up here and I know it's a big if, could it be the extra light (not in a more direct way as sunlight has heat energy) but that processing the extra light or brighter picture it being so intense and taking up the whole frame can cause an overheat? I just took one down and tested it it started working when it's off the window mount and I pointed a very strong and focused flashlight and it started to have the same effect when pointed at the lenses of intense FPS drop and stalling.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not try a Rasp Pi and camera module?

ThaCamMann

n3wb
Reaction score
I will have to update when the say is done but I covered about 15% of the screen that wasn't what I needed video of and was pointing at a very light colored tree that was basically glowing on camera and it's working in the same conditions, some minor fps drops here and there but it seems either the camera cannot process so much indirect sunlight or doing so causes it to overheat.... That is at least if it keeps up. For the record I have a nice actual security camera sitting right next to me but knowing the reason is more important that just discounting the current system which as of right now is low profile and extremely low impact/maintenance at least for months until now. Discrete and lightweight are the only options I consider so I need to know what make those tick not go out and spend money on something worse, the system is in place to protect my money like the $1,000+ Audeze LCD-X's I have coming tomorrow, which a small piece of tape is doing more to protect now that the best system in the world ordered and being delivered after the fact.