Running ancient firmware on DS-2CD2332 , worth upgrading?

Rani

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have 5 DS-2CD2332 on original 5.0 and I've been itching to upgrade the firmware just because it's old.
Are there sufficient image quality enhancements worth upgrading for?

Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Are there sufficient image quality enhancements worth upgrading for?
It's probably more about an improved user interface, and fixes for bugs and security vulnerabilities.
But if it's running AOK, and not exposed to hacking, probably best left as-is.

Rani

n3wb
Reaction score
It's probably more about an improved user interface, and fixes for bugs and security vulnerabilities.
But if it's running AOK, and not exposed to hacking, probably best left as-is.
Excellent, leaving them as they are.

I live in Australia and I'm planning to expand my 5 2332 cameras by another 3. They costed me AUD$320 2 years ago.
shopping around nowadays on ebay, I can find them for as little as $90 BUT they're Chinese and the seller is saying firmware cannot be upgraded

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware or at least change it to English?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As these are R0 series cameras you can do the 'enhanced mtd hack' and convert them to upgradeable. See the link below in my post.

Rani

n3wb
Reaction score
As these are R0 series cameras you can do the 'enhanced mtd hack' and convert them to upgradeable. See the link below in my post.
Aha! So you're the master behind that thread? I've come across it before but just wanted to confirm that it can be done specifically with the 2332!

Just before I pull the trigger, are there any other camera's you'd recommend me checking out? The 2332's I have facing the street have no chance in making the car plates readable or even passers by recognisable.
We're talking 10m tops in daylight. So I'm hoping there's something better hopefully around the same price bracket?

Thanks very much

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the DS-2CD2332-I is ok to be converted from Chinese to full English.
But it's fair to say they are a bit dated now, nowhere near as good in low light as some of the new ultra low light models, nor do they support h.265 if you need a long storage history.
Add for setting number plates - some pretty good threads on that topic here on the forum.

Rani

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the DS-2CD2332-I is ok to be converted from Chinese to full English.
But it's fair to say they are a bit dated now, nowhere near as good in low light as some of the new ultra low light models, nor do they support h.265 if you need a long storage history.
Add for setting number plates - some pretty good threads on that topic here on the forum.
Any camera you'd personally prefer for the same price? Bear in mind I'm using the hikvision DS-7616NI-SP for NVR

And could you point me in the right direction as to which threads you speak of :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty impressed with the DS-2CD2335FWD ultra low light turret.
This is a little more expensive, the last one I bought off AliExpress was £75.
I can leave it in colour mode permanently, and it supports h.265
I'm really not sure though whether it would work ok with your NVR.
Do a search for ultra low light. Though most of the activity is linked to Dahua, who beat Hikvision to market with such cameras.