Running Blue Iris at Startup -- some questions

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I've finally got my cameras running smoothly, and it's looking like I'll get around 40 days of clips on a TB drive, with room to spare. I've even figured out how to post images from my "Sunset Cam" on Wunderground.com, so I guess I'm making progress here.

Now, I want to get BI to run at startup after a power outage, and I'd like to understand better what I'm doing before I start changing settings.

First, my system:

• Dedicated server, with i7-4790, 3.6GHz processor and 8GB RAM
  • Separate TB drive for storage of clips, internal to server.
  • 9 dahua HFW 4300s, or HFW 1320s cameras, pushing 1080p, 10 FPS, 8192 CBR selected.
  • CPU typically runs at around 30%, but has not been tested with several cameras recording at once.

So, my questions (and please forgive my ignorance here).
  1. BI, run as a "service" has no use interface. How do I interact with BI than? Are there multiple options here (Local access, Remote Desktop (on local LAN), Other LAN access, internet access with and without Remote Desktop, etc.)
  2. What is the difference between running BI as a service and setting the normal interface to run at startup?
  3. Any discussion on the pros and cons of running BI as a service as opposed to automated startup of user interface.
  4. Links to any tutorials or examples on setting these things up.

Many thanks for help and advice with this project!

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman! That worked out quite well! Task Manager shows the CPU usage for BI at around 20% if I'm not running the interface, and around 28% with it running. This is without any recording going on, so during motion alerts it's going to run higher.