Running Blue Iris & Gaming

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Im reading some posts on herea bout some people using Blue iris along with playing games at the same time. With that in mind I built a beat of a machine that includes:

i7-490k oc to 4.4 ghz
16gb of ram
and a Nvidia GTX 970 w/ 4 gigs of ram

Currently I have 8 LTS 4mp cams set to record on motion and while only running BI the computer idles at around 46%.

When running call of duty black ops 3 the cpu sometimes spikes to 98% and causes my fps to drop horribly. Is there a trick/tip to doing both at the same time because I cant get it to work smoothly.

Ive gone and set all the settings to low/medium in the game and it doesn't help.
First thing you need to do is make sure direct to disk is enabled for all of the cams in Blue Iris. Maybe you already have them set this way, or maybe not. Either way, that is the most important thing.

If this isn't enough, go into the web interface of each camera and reduce the frame rate. The lower you set the frame rates, the lower the CPU usage will be. There is little reason to use a frame rate higher than about 10 FPS, and even less reason to go higher than 15. Sure, higher frame rates look smoother but if you need to lower CPU usage, this is not a bad tradeoff. Frame rates as low as 4 to 6 FPS are still useful for video security but I doubt you need to go that far down.