Running Blue Iris & Gaming

Reaction score
Im reading some posts on herea bout some people using Blue iris along with playing games at the same time. With that in mind I built a beat of a machine that includes:

i7-490k oc to 4.4 ghz
16gb of ram
and a Nvidia GTX 970 w/ 4 gigs of ram

Currently I have 8 LTS 4mp cams set to record on motion and while only running BI the computer idles at around 46%.

When running call of duty black ops 3 the cpu sometimes spikes to 98% and causes my fps to drop horribly. Is there a trick/tip to doing both at the same time because I cant get it to work smoothly.

Ive gone and set all the settings to low/medium in the game and it doesn't help.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Im reading some posts on herea bout some people using Blue iris along with playing games at the same time. With that in mind I built a beat of a machine that includes:

i7-490k oc to 4.4 ghz
16gb of ram

Currently I have 8 LTS 4mp cams set to record on motion and while only running BI the computer idles at around 46%.

When running call of duty black ops 3 the cpu sometimes spikes to 98% and causes my fps to drop horribly. Is there a trick/tip to doing both at the same time because I cant get it to work smoothly.

Ive gone and set all the settings to low/medium in the game and it doesn't help.
You should have a dedicated BI machine...this is simply asking for trouble...that said, once BI implements hardware acceleration it might help.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Unless you need BI to help you locate the bad guys in call of duty or you don't care about the bad guys not found in call of duty, then don't mix it up.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
"once BI implements hardware acceleration it might help" , I consider that statement Joke of the month.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Unless someone is looking for more excuses on the robustness of updates

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Re: Running Blue Iris & Gaming

system needs to be rock solid, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

registry problems???

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
I spent mucho time learning BI and set up two system, updating is risky, sounds like 10-15 years ago.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

system needs to be rock solid, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

registry problems???
What does harware acceleration have to do with that?
ONE person had an issue and now there is a stability problem? Are your serious? I can point you to posts about ANY vms or NVR where folks are having a problem.
You are make BASELESS claims because you fail to understand that 1 or 5 or 10 out of tens of thousands is meaningless. Get an NVR already and let us know how that works out for you.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score

and you wanna encourage game playing when Hardware accel is here. how about encouraging robust updates Fenderman

- - - Updated - - -

well at least you don't edit posts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

and you wanna encourage game playing when Hardware accel is here. how about encouraging robust updates Fenderman
Guess you didnt read my posts.
The updates are already "roubust" I cant explain it to you any better than I already have. You have a basic failure to understand that 1, 5 10 folks having issues when there are tens of thousands of users is a meaningless number. You are making FALSE statements about blue iris. Go get yourself an NVR.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
BI recently asked a user to change registry, hmm. this is survaillence software.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
sorry I'm ragging, I wanna update but I don't want to spend hours fixing it if doesn't work.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
my system is up all the fucking time, but no push notifications.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BI recently asked a user to change registry, hmm. this is survaillence software.
Are you serious? He was having an issue, most likely he was asked to delete the string that holds the settings so he can revert back to default. Regardless, who cares, what is so strange. Lots of solutions to software related issues require registry edits. Do you have any previous computer experience? Doesnt look like it.

dalepa

Reaction score
I put BI on my sons i7 gen3 running 4 cams. He's a hard core gamer and hasn't complained yet :)

i7-490k oc to 4.4 ghz
16gb of ram