Running Blue Iris on Main Gaming Rig (but only when I'm not using the computer)

gundam83

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read through a lot of posts and I understand that having a dedicated blue iris server is ideal, as it's too taxing to try to run in on your everyday use computer. However, what if I was hoping to do the following (not sure if this is even possible as I don't own Blue Iris yet):

1. I have an 8th gen I7 for my main gaming rig with 32gb of ram, so it's plenty powerful for Blue Iris.
2. I only care about recording when I'm not home, or when I'm asleep. If I'm home, I'm not too concerned about recording.
3. So I was thinking of installing Blue Iris on my main gaming rig and only have it on when I'm not actually on the computer. However I don't know if recording is something you can just quickly start and stop.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For #3, it's one click in BI to start/stop recording -- pretty quick, IMO. For me, I'd be worried that I'd forget to start recording before I left or went to bed.

For #1, you're probably right, but don't underestimate how many resources a misconfigured (or not optimized) BI install can use. Forum has quite a few posts about powerful machines maxing out because something was goofed up (either on the BI side, or the owner expectation side -- ie that running a bunch of 4K cameras at 30FPS with a high constant-bit rate is a good idea).

What you want to do isn't a best practice. I'm not judging -- there are a few things with my overcall camera system that aren't best practices. I'm aware of them and if I run into problems with them down the road, that's on me ... I won't come here making a stink about them. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've read through a lot of posts and I understand that having a dedicated blue iris server is ideal, as it's too taxing to try to run in on your everyday use computer. However, what if I was hoping to do the following (not sure if this is even possible as I don't own Blue Iris yet):

1. I have an 8th gen I7 for my main gaming rig with 32gb of ram, so it's plenty powerful for Blue Iris.
2. I only care about recording when I'm not home, or when I'm asleep. If I'm home, I'm not too concerned about recording.
3. So I was thinking of installing Blue Iris on my main gaming rig and only have it on when I'm not actually on the computer. However I don't know if recording is something you can just quickly start and stop.
1) Ideally you'd want video clips recorded to a surveillance-rated hard drive (WD Purple, etc,); even better would be to have your O/S, the Blue Iris program and BI's db folder on a SSD and video clips to the HDD.
2) OK... but don't forget to NOT run BI in those instances!
3) BI is easily started and stopped

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

gundam83

n3wb
Reaction score
1) Ideally you'd want video clips recorded to a surveillance-rated hard drive (WD Purple, etc,); even better would be to have your O/S, the Blue Iris program and BI's db folder on a SSD and video clips to the HDD.
2) OK... but don't forget to NOT run BI in those instances!
3) BI is easily started and stopped

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT! :wave:
1.) That's the plan. I have two NVME SSD's for OS and Apps, and plan on having a large 3.5" purple drive.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using one 'main' desktop PC but for different purposes.

I got a device similar to the one in the link that allows me to swap out the boot drive quickly.
https://www.amazon.com/GLOTENDS-Internal-Enclosure-Installation-Anti-vibration/dp/B071F6CQ4H/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=internal+2.5"+bay+for+3.5"+drive+bay+or+enclosure&qid=1556747438&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Not sure if that's an option for you. It has been serving GREAT for my need. Just a suggestion, something to think about.
I have an SSDs for:
1) Windows 10 - primary usage SSD: MSOffice, photo/video edit software (500GB)
2) Windows 10 - games only usage SSD (500GB)
3) Linux Mint SSD (240GB)
4) Hackintosh SSD (500GB)

In your case, you could have a dedicated small SSD (240GB) for BI install. You can also install the purple drive and point BI video to it.
BTW, I am running only ONE licensed windows on both windows SSDs. Once I installed and licensed it on the first SSD, for 2nd SSD install, it automatically activated it. I believe windows licensing is based on the CPU signature or something along those lines. Hopefully a network expert here has a better explanation for it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Horrible idea. Buy a 100 dollar pc and call it a day.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
You could do what you suggest.

But in the long run, it sounds like a lot of extra ongoing work and hassle. And it will discourage you from setting things up exactly the way you want.

As @fenderman suggests, you'll be better off having a separate PC dedicated just to the camera system.

I'd be worried that I'd forget to switch from game mode to camera mode, and missing something important. And I'd also worry that some event I wish I'd captured would take place while I was engrossed in a major on-line battle.

I'd always feel restricted having to choose between camera operation versus other things I want to do with that PC.

I really really like having my camera system on it's own dedicated PC. It's been absolutely reliable and free of any effort.

Yes, it cost a reasonable amount of money to get the PC, SSD, WD Purple, a good UPS for it, etc. But it's been some of the best money I ever spent. The system requires no intervention, it just works. And I can use my other PCs any time I want.

Definitely think seriously about setting up a dedicated PC for Blue Iris. It really is nice to be able to check your cameras any time...maybe even while gaming!