Running Milestone Essential and Hikvision NVR

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My current system runs on Milestone. I wanted to try out a Hikvision NVR without removing my current setup. Is there a way for me to run both at the same time?

All my cameras are all going to a POE switch right now. The Hikvision NVR that I just got also has POE.

Thanks in advance!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My current system runs on Milestone. I wanted to try out a Hikvision NVR without removing my current setup. Is there a way for me to run both at the same time?

All my cameras are all going to a POE switch right now. The Hikvision NVR that I just got also has POE.

Thanks in advance!
yes, simply hook the nvr to the network and add the cameras to the nvr manually.
Going from milestone to an nvr is a huge downgrade

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I just thought that it might be easier to maintain.

Every two weeks I get dropped connections and when I'm overseas, there is nothing I can do. I thought an NVR might be better than maintaining a server running Milestone, but maybe I need to rethink that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. I just thought that it might be easier to maintain.

Every two weeks I get dropped connections and when I'm overseas, there is nothing I can do. I thought an NVR might be better than maintaining a server running Milestone, but maybe I need to rethink that?
I dont understand, what do you mean by dropped connections and easier to maintain?

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear.

Every 3-5 weeks one of my cameras would show "Camera Lost Connection" within the Milestone app. Usually this problem is solved when I reboot my POE switch. Other times, it has something to do with a Windows update on my Windows 7 server running Milestone. In any case, it is unreliable and I have not found an easy solution to reboot remotely everything while traveling.

I thought that by hooking up a Hikvision NVR, I could accomplish a few things:

1) Have a redundant system
2) Evaluate whether I just want to use the Hikvision NVR and see if it is actually more reliable and easier to control remotely
3) Not have to deal with Windows updates as I do with my server running Milestone

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear.

Every 3-5 weeks one of my cameras would show "Camera Lost Connection" within the Milestone app. Usually this problem is solved when I reboot my POE switch. Other times, it has something to do with a Windows update on my Windows 7 server running Milestone. In any case, it is unreliable and I have not found an easy solution to reboot remotely everything while traveling.

I thought that by hooking up a Hikvision NVR, I could accomplish a few things:

1) Have a redundant system
2) Evaluate whether I just want to use the Hikvision NVR and see if it is actually more reliable and easier to control remotely
3) Not have to deal with Windows updates as I do with my server running Milestone

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The camera issue is related to a bad camera/switch/cabling, has nothing to do with milestone..you will have the same exact issue with a hikvision nvr.
If anything the hikvsion nvr will be harder to control remotely...with windows you can use teamviewer to remote control the pc directly from your phone.
You dont have to deal with windows updates...you should have your pc setup on a vpn with no remote access...I run windows updates once every few months if that.
Standalone nvr's also have issues as well both with reliability and stability..its all about getting quality equipment and setting it up properly...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
cameras shouldn't dropout; fix your camera issue.

if your not onsite for long periods of time there are options in cameras such as auto-maintian/auto-reboot that can schedule reboots at intervals that can help with self repairing after enough time.. typically I suggest avoiding these features but they can be of great value when nobody is around to kick something.

Having redundancy is a decent solution, if one system is down hopefully the other is up.. but if a camera is the problem it'll drop out on both and if the PoE switch is being a dirty lil bastard it wont help either.

In a pinch you can take a digital wall timer, schedule it to to turn off 1min a week/day and plug your equipment into that and it'll force reset every day.. just hope Murphy takes it easy on you and nothing of importance ever happens durring this regular outage.. I do this all the time to remote cable/dsl modems but I dont feel good about pulling the power on a writing disk.

camb

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'll return the NVR.