Ryzen 2700x with GTX 970TI video card 32G mem

shrike0064

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Western Spiral Arm of the Milkyway Galaxy.
Have 8 4K Lorex IP cameras.
Using motion sense with Blue Iris the processor will hit 98% if all are recording. 55% when none are recording.
Hardware acceleration is on for each camera. CUDA Core

One person told me to get INTEL.
Now I have already spent the money to compare Intel i7-7820x to this 2700X 16 and there IS NO DIFFERENCE, let me state that again. There IS NO DIFFERENCE!

I was told that I should be able to put 16 of these cameras on a single CPU. Well, kinda. If I use the camera's built in motion sense I can get 14 cameras to operate but at 60% CPU at idle. 99% recording of 12 or more.

But I want to use the Blue Iris motion sense as it shows just want

shrike0064

n3wb
Reaction score
Have 2 identical Ryzen 2700x, 32gig mem, 1Tb NVMe drive, NVIDIA 980TI systems now.
Interesting. Told the forum to delete thread.
Just trying to get all 16 4k cams on one processor and not run 100% CPU usage when recording.
Not going to get an Intel.
Software has CUDA core support. Should operate just as well.

Not going to get into arguments about Intel vs AMD. Nope, not going to do it.

Only want to hear about BlueIris settings to minimize CPU usage using the hardware I have.

Thanks for your reply.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@shrike0064 Check out this wiki page: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk Assuming you run all those cameras at 15 FPS, you should be at around 1990 megapixels per second. This is significantly above where I would recommend a mere 8 core CPU. You'd probably need a 12+ core Intel or 16 core AMD threadripper to handle that load well. You may do better on the current gear with all cams averaging 10 FPS.

I think you misunderstood something about the Intel recommendation. Intel is the primary recommendation for Blue Iris for two main reasons:

1) Quick Sync Video (for Intel hardware acceleration in BI)
2) (much) Better value in the cheap used computer market versus similarly aged/priced AMD computers.

By choosing an Intel HEDT model (HEDT models don't support quick sync, and are not cheaply purchased in the used market), is like you went out of your way to choose an Intel CPU that is a worse value than a Ryzen 2700X.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As stated, I will not get into a debate about Intel vs AMD.
Only request options on settings to reduce CPU usage for the equipment I currently have.

Thank you for your reply.
You didnt listed to proper advice the first time and purchased the wrong intel and now you are not listening to advice given to you by BP2008 (who is the most qualified person on this subject). I dont get it. If you want to do things on your own then do them on your own and learn the hard way twice.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As stated.
Only interested in assistance with minimizing CPU usage on current equipment.
Not interested in debates regarding Intel VS AMD.
Please do not reply if unable to assist keeping to subject matter.

Thank you.
Fool. He provided you with a link with THAT INFORMATION. I will reply when I wish. You will not order me around on my forum. I see from your previous posts that you were warned about not using the AMD, but you did it anyway. You seem to know how to ask for advice but dont know how to take it.

shrike0064

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you b2008 for your assistance.
Apologies as I did not see the link you provided.
All is well. Used direct to disc and CPU usage went from 50% to 18%.
I must use the various equipment provided to me at the taxpayers expense.

Thank you very much.
Now back to the other 200 things I must do simultaneously working for the Federal GOV protecting the public.
Never a dull moment.