IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know this is an AMD thread, but just for comparison:

11 cameras on an 2012 Alienware gaming computer (i7-3770):
  • all camera MP/frame rates in attachment; all running h.264
  • 364.8 MP/s total
  • 8094 kB/s
  • ~17% CPU usage
  • ~50 watts PC power consumption (as measured by APC UPS)

IMG_0297.PNG

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@nymphaeles
Would you mind sharing camera specs(mp, frame rate, codec) and average pc power consumption(if u have it)... Tia
@Pedro Tera
I run nine Dahua HDW5231R-Z, one HDW4231EM-AS, and a SD1A203T-GN. The SD1A203T-GN is under testing, so it is on and off at times. The screenshots I took when 10 cams, while the SD1A203T-GN is off, are running full time recording. See the following screenshot for Frame Rate settings on Main and Sub streams. Let me know if you don't know the specs of those Dahua cams I mention above.

upload_2018-6-7_14-24-58.png

Attachments

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happened to the i-frame interval in that firmware @nymphaeles ?? I don't see it.
@bp2008
Your question makes me wonder, so I go back and can't seem to find that same screen. That's so weird, not sure how I got that screen in the first place. But here what I find

upload_2018-6-7_22-28-9.png

upload_2018-6-7_22-39-36.png

bigjoe99

n3wb
Reaction score
I'v used a lot of AMD production servers over the years, and from a relative standpoint I've found benchmark sites like CPUbenchmark to pretty darn close when it comes to determining relative value between the chips. Some specific tasks like H264 and SQL or gaming might lean more towards one vs the other, but when all things are added up they are pretty close.
I don't see anywhere on their chart where AMD leads with anything, and all the high profile Ryzen benchmarks I've seen pretty much correlate to CPUBenchmark. An i7 7820 pretty much 'thumps' anything in it's price category. If you step below that you see some Ryzen's that are about $100 cheaper than their nearest Intel neighbor, but it's obvious AMD does this from a marketing standpoint given the tight profit structure of OEM PC makers. It's obvious some of their chips are being put on the market at far lower profit margins to generate interest. Fine with me - keeps Intel honest.
H264 handling clearly benefits Intel, and it's a big deal with BI. However, the elephant in the room nobody is talking about is Meltdown, and that'e one issue AMD doesn't have to contend with. Problem is the benchmarks for Meltdown patching are all over the place, but they do impact storage.
IMO, unless you are doing a lot of MP4 conversion on a BI server for some strange reason all these higher end processors are overkill and the benchmarks debates are more fun than substance. I'd rather put my money in better storage.

asilva54

n3wb
Reaction score
The speed of a graphics processor is basically irrelevant to Blue Iris. The GPU just happens to be where each vendor puts their fixed-function media decoding/encoding hardware. Intel calls theirs Quick Sync, AMD calls theirs VCE. Nvidia calls their's NVENC I think. I don't know which of them is best, but at this point it is irrelevant because Blue Iris only supports Quick Sync and indeed the Quick Sync situation has only gotten worse in the last couple years thanks to Intel's driver bugs. That's got to leave a sour taste for Quick Sync in the mouth of the BI developer if you know what I mean.
Still praying for VCE support someday for Blue Iris, would be an absolute game changer since its more than clear now that AMD caught up.
My Plex box (with a few VMs on it) is on a 1700 ryzen and that thing is a beast but i still have a transplanted TS140 only doing BI sitting in my rack.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What happened to the i-frame interval in that firmware @nymphaeles ?? I don't see it.
@bp2008
I was able to find that screen. I use a Dahua DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 for full time continuous recording. That screen shot was taken from the NVR UI from Pale Moon. That all the fields from that NVR's UI.

boxerfan

n3wb
Reaction score
you can and should record to BVR as noted. You can then export the clip to mp4 or avi when you need to.
Sorry, I don't mind to hijack this thread but had a question about exporting from BVR.

I was thinking of exporting clips to google drive so I could view remotely. Is there an automated way to export clips or is it only done via manual inputs?
Alternatively, can I save in 2 formats at once? I suppose I could make 2 entries for a camera and have one save BVR and one save mp4/avi but that seems rather wasteful.
I'm really just interested in exporting motion detection clips to my google drive

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you can do automated FTP backups. Possibly automated MP4 exports too, though I'm not sure about that one.

boxerfan

n3wb
Reaction score
I know you can do automated FTP backups. Possibly automated MP4 exports too, though I'm not sure about that one.
hm ok. I'll have to poke around. Was hoping for some time to play on the 4th, but that didn't happen. Worse case, I can automate the ftp backup to a VM that has a google drive mapped via file stream app and see how well that works.

I know I can vpn in to my network and fire up everything, but if all i'm interested in is seeing some clips, why not just try to access them as straight mp4 files on my google drive

bootstrapper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tried on a low end gaming build pc
Mobo: ASUS PRIME B350M-A
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Socket AM4, 4 Core,4 Threads 3.5Ghz
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Red DDR4 2666
VideoCard: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX550 2G GDDR5 Graphics Card
with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L AIO watercooling system
Operating system: windows 10

I've used on some knock off chinese camera @2.8mm varifocal lens 2MP and I managed to max out about 30 cameras, @ 15 fps each,
cpu usage is around 80 percent.
VideoCard is a no show tho, removed it and cpu consumption is still the same.

-Boots

Last edited: