Same camera on two channels

randee01

n3wb
Reaction score
We have a Dahua NVR4832 NVR and 16 Dahua HFW2300 cameras. One of the cameras is simultaneously on two channels. Customer support says the nvr channels are tied to the cameras mac address and they don't know of a fix. Can anyone help?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it would be worth checking the MAC address to find out if that really is the cause of the problem.
Assuming the cameras are on the same IP segment as a PC or other device on the LAN, after you ping the IP address of the cameras of interest, you can inspect the ARP cache with the 'arp -a' command (Windows or Linux).
Then if the MAC address is not the cause of the problem - back to Dahua support.
And if it is - back to your supplier.

randee01

n3wb
Reaction score
Well,
The cameras are wired directly to the network dvr so they can't be pinged from the lan. The camera addresses are static so a laptop can be connected to any camera one at a time. Would that help? What am I looking for with the arp-a command?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera addresses are static so a laptop can be connected to any camera one at a time.
You could do that - given that the PC IP address is changed to be in the same range.

But it may be easier in that case to wire the laptop directly to a spare PoE port, set the PC IP address to be in the range of the NVR PoE interface, and ping the known IP addresses of the cameras.
I would almost bet that you will find unique MAC addresses though, as the switched layer-2 environment uses the MAC address to determine where packets are sent.
Duplicate MAC addresses would generally break the networking on the offending devices. Depending on how the switch handles that situation.
arp - a will list the MAC addresses against the IP addresses.

randee01

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try wiring the laptop to the Poe next week and do arp-a like you suggested to see how it works. For now everything is working ok - finally! At least there are no duplicate channels. Disconnected the offending camera, deleted both channels, rebooted the dvr and reconnected the offending camera. The camera skipped a channel but at least it was not duplicated. Then a new camera was connected to the next nvr port and the nvr assigned it to the skipped channel - so all is well. Whew!

marid2apterbilt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds more like your NVR set the same camera ip up for 2 different channels, or was user error. possibly plugged cam into port, added camera to system then plugged same camera into next port hence it got added twice.

daves52380

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds more like your NVR set the same camera ip up for 2 different channels, or was user error. possibly plugged cam into port, added camera to system then plugged same camera into next port hence it got added twice.
This is exactly my problem now. When I first got my equipment. I, one at a time plugged in each cam and updated the firmware to confirm everything worked and had latest software. When it got nice enough weather to install the system, as I connected each cam to the NVR poe ports. I get conflicting IP issues. Some cams are displaying duplicate broadcasts ie. D2 and D7 when then the cam is connected to the #7 poe port. Sometimes it shows the cam on its correct port and the same cam on port 3777. Its frustrating and many searches I'm not finding how to reset or what I need to do to update/change. (7) HDW5231R-ZE cams on NVR5216-16P-4KS2. Thanks

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I one at a time plugged in each cam and updated the firmware to confirm everything worked and had latest software.
Did you give each camera their own IP addresses - or just leave them at the default?

Its frustrating and many searches I'm not finding how to reset or what I need to do to update/change.
Suggestion :
Plug in just one camera.
Access it's web GUI at the IP address that either you know, or is shown by the IPconfig tool.
Use the maintenance menu to reset to defaults.
Disconnect and do the next.

When all done - connect one at a time to the NVR PoE port that you want that camera to belong to.
The NVR will attach the camera and configure it as needed automatically, no duplicate IP addresses.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure you didn't accidentally register the same camera twice in camera registration settings?

daves52380

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the quick reply's and advice.
Did you give each camera their own IP addresses - or just leave them at the default?

Suggestion :
Plug in just one camera.
Access it's web GUI at the IP address that either you know, or is shown by the IPconfig tool.
Use the maintenance menu to reset to defaults.
Disconnect and do the next.

When all done - connect one at a time to the NVR PoE port that you want that camera to belong to.
The NVR will attach the camera and configure it as needed automatically, no duplicate IP addresses.
To be honest, I am a mechanic and an mechanically inclined, installing going smooth as I have 4 of the 7 cams installed. Albeit, I cannot figure out networking and computers to save my life. Since I bought the system last winter, upon hooking them up thru trial and error to get them online, I don't really remember exactly what I did as I tinkered and messed with various things.

I stumbled across this youtube video that's about 16 months old regarding dahua ip settings that seems will help me fix my problem. Is it as easy as it looks and is it the correct solution I need to fix this problem?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Newer Dahua NVRs with PoE ports behave differently than those without.

On 4 Dahua PoE NVRs I manage, its as simple as plugging in the cameras and letting the NVR assign IPs.

Don’t try to”add” them in registration. Let the NVR do it itself. Should not need the configuration tool or to manually change the IPs in the cameras. If you have, set them to DHCP

Remove all cameras plugged into PoE ports. Reboot NVR
Plug all cameras into PoE ports
Reboot NVR
Wait........ wait...,,
Now go to the Registration page and hit Refresh

Generally within 5 minutes you’ll see the cameras appear in the lower pane window on the Registration Tab. They will by default assume the same password as the NVR unless you already changed them.

daves52380

n3wb
Reaction score
Newer Dahua NVRs with PoE ports behave differently than those without.

On 4 Dahua PoE NVRs I manage, its as simple as plugging in the cameras and letting the NVR assign IPs.

Don’t try to”add” them in registration. Let the NVR do it itself. Should not need the configuration tool or to manually change the IPs in the cameras. If you have, set them to DHCP

Remove all cameras plugged into PoE ports. Reboot NVR
Plug all cameras into PoE ports
Reboot NVR
Wait........ wait...,,
Now go to the Registration page and hit Refresh

Generally within 5 minutes you’ll see the cameras appear in the lower pane window on the Registration Tab. They will by default assume the same password as the NVR unless you already changed them.
Tried that and here is what came up. Appears D2 and D7 are conflicting. Any other suggestions? The connector is actually in port 7. How do I delete D2 from NVR without reappearing? Thanks

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Can you login to the web interface of the NVR? That machine UI sucks

Remove the ones that show port 37777

Shouldn’t be any with 37777 in the bottom pane

daves52380

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you login to the web interface of the NVR? That machine UI sucks

Remove the ones that show port 37777

Shouldn’t be any with 37777 in the bottom pane
Hey, thanks! I really appreciate your help. So i deleted D2 and everything’s looks good except for D1 in port 37777. Connector is I’m port 1. Do I delete the camera from registration, remove port 1 from poe and then reboot, connect port 1 and reboot again?

UPDATE: did just that and looks to be holding up fine. D1 thru D5 showing as ports 1 thru 5.

I have three more cams to install and I suppose Then I have two options. 1, do the steps I just did as a refresh or 2, with my laptop and use config tool to assign new IP’s to the other three cameras?

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just plug them in one at a time , wait and they’ll show up in lower pane. Don’t try to set IPs on them, let the NVR do it.

And use a browser and go to 192.168.1.108 (default IP of the NVR) and use the web interface

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember, configure the IP's of only one camera at a time

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
On the newer Dahua NVR with built-in PoE ports you DO NOT need or want to manually configure the camera IP. The NVR will, assign an IP in the 10.1.1.X range by itself. Just plug the camera into the NVR and wait. It will self-register and be assigned an IP address by the NVR

I think this is confusing to many here because most have older NVR's with no built-n PoE ports/switch and are always recommending to set the IP address and use the config tool and all that stuff. Its simply not necessary with PoE NVR's. It cause more trouble than necessary.