Same cameras, different image quality?

Reaction score
I have a cheap chinese camera (I know, I know) that was giving me the perfect exposure for night time LPR. I wanted to run one the other direction down the street, so I bought a second (presumably identical camera) which has the same physical outside appearance, but has a slightly different "model" per ODM. Anyway, this 2nd camera has a much grainier image quality at the exact same settings under the same conditions -- even though they were sourced from the same supplier. This new 2nd camera has a TON of white specks/interference in completely dark conditions -- the original camera does not. Like I mentioned, the model # is slightly different, and the new camera has a different firmware version. I have yet to crack them open to see if the hardware appears to be the same, but if it is -- is there a way to rip the f/w off of the original camera and flash it to the new camera? Is there even a place to get a f/w image that isn't potentially infested with malware for an off-brand camera? All these cameras on on their own network without access to the outside world.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a cheap chinese camera (I know, I know) that was giving me the perfect exposure for night time LPR. I wanted to run one the other direction down the street, so I bought a second (presumably identical camera) which has the same physical outside appearance, but has a slightly different "model" per ODM. Anyway, this 2nd camera has a much grainier image quality at the exact same settings under the same conditions -- even though they were sourced from the same supplier. This new 2nd camera has a TON of white specks/interference in completely dark conditions -- the original camera does not. Like I mentioned, the model # is slightly different, and the new camera has a different firmware version. I have yet to crack them open to see if the hardware appears to be the same, but if it is -- is there a way to rip the f/w off of the original camera and flash it to the new camera? Is there even a place to get a f/w image that isn't potentially infested with malware for an off-brand camera? All these cameras on on their own network without access to the outside world.
likely different sensor, lens or both.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there a way to rip the f/w off of the original camera and flash it to the new camera?
In my experience it's always been possible to extract the contents from IP cameras and NVRs/DVRs.
But if the model numbers are different - likely that the board type could be different, and the firmware not compatible.
As @fenderman suggests - it's likely different sensors that give the different image.
Give us a link, and the model numbers, for more comments.